Register now to get rid of these ads!

Keeping that Original Paint Barn Fresh Look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglyoldcrow, Nov 29, 2012.

1. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

Putting the finishing touches (wiring,
    ights,turn signals etc) on my old 34 Plymouth Coupe. A lot of the original paint has worn thin to the primer and she's showing some surface rust in a few areas. What took 70+ years to develop, I would like to preserve. A friend told me to just keep her wiped down with WD/40. I tried it in a couple spots and it looks nice. The old girl looks pretty much stock except the 241 Red Ram Hemi under the hood. Any other ideas, Thanks, Jim

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Paint it. That's not "patina", it's rust.

3. I use Gibbs oil to keep the rust away but only 'till I get some paint on it.
    I intend to actually have shiny paint when it's done.
    I can understand trying to keep an old paint job nice but I can't understand these guys who insist on keeping their cars in bare metal.
    If you're attempting to keep that old paint as nice as possible, WD-40 probably isn't the best product to use. I'd recommend buffing it with compound and waxing it to close the surface to oxygen interacting with iron...just my warped point of view.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    from Michigan

Really cool coupe! Let me say: You want to preserve it. But a car in a state of deterioration is impossible to preserve.The rust will just keep growing...molecule by molecule. I understand to desire to keep the look...I do...looks, ummm..."rustic". But please don't be afraid to invest at least as much into the body as you have with the drivetrain installation. Go at it section by section...even as you drive it. That's what a guy would've done decades ago. You'd see the primer spots slowly "shape-shift" week by week as the work progressed. And sometimes, it'd actually get painted...maybe not. But nobody wanted rust or thought it looked good.

5. You might try some Penetrol,It is a additive designed for oil based paints but applied with a cloth in a small area and see what it does,,you just might be surprised,,the only draw back is it will be a little sticky for a while. HRP

6. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

You might consider spraying with a clear coat having a flattening agent added. You would need to try several test panels with different amounts of the flattener to get the degree of flatness you want, but the clear would slow down any further rusting and keep moisture from the metal.

7. zgears

zgears

That could be rust stained paint. I would use a diluted phosphoric acid (10/1).

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I smell blood in the water...

9. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

My f-600 has a few spots where the metal is showing, Untill I get around to painting it , I buffed the paint and in spots the metal to a shiny finish - Then I wax it and keep it out of the rain. But your car looks like it has a lot of rust... Probablly shouldn't try to buff that out. You'll have a lot of bare metal . It really needs painted, but hell give the buffer a shot. It'l look cool but it'll be a bitch to take care of.

10. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

11. Model T1

Model T1

This same topic comes up nearly every day worded slightly differently.
    As I've written before, the only place patina looks good is on old furniture. And that's only till it's refinished.
    That's a nice lookin car. Paint it and enjoy it. That's the traditional way. ;)

12. Rathbone

Rathbone

Look up 'Shark hide' - it's an amazing metal protectant and easy to apply.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'd clean it with CLR, then polish and wax it. DONE.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I think that'll make the rust worse. :D

16. slammed

slammed

X's 2 for a quick CLR on the heavy rusted. THEN: Soak the old paint in glaze! 1.Clay bar the surface clean. 2. Bury/rub in Meguiars #7 glaze for a few days, letting one coat lay on it over night. THEN lightly foam pad another round of glaze. Burry it in Wizards sealant. Do it. Screw these nay sayin' wimpy boyz.

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I just drive mine, I dont care if it rusts any more. So far it has not changed at all after two years of driving.

[​IMG]

18. Cool old coupe...I'm +2 for Gibbs oil on a rag. Much better staying power than WD40, and it can be painted over apparently, should you one day decide to paint it.
    If you look back you will find that unpainted rods are as traditional as shiny ones, the only difference is someone has now given it a name.

19. olskool34

olskool34

I kept my 29 coupe in it's original patina. I coat it about twice a year in motor oil, wipe it on and let it sit. I have been driving it for almost 5 years now and nothing has changed, even the water beads up on it! I know how you feel about keeping it original. It is not for everyone but some cars just look better that way.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nope...... still called clunkers, whether in fun or not.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So says the guy with the primered Rudy...:rolleyes:
    The difference is, back then primered cars were in primer because they hadn't been painted yet. Rusted cars were just shitboxes...

22. nothing wrong with preservation, i use a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and automatic tranny fluid.

23. If you do plan on painting it some day, stay away from the wd-40, it is very difficult to get rid of and will cause fish eyes in new paint.

24. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

i have been using motor oil for 3 or 4 years i have not seen difference ,i just like the look

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    from Michigan

To qualify my previous statement:

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't try to keep anybody from doing what they want. It's your car. No hate here. As I said, I do see the attraction to the crusty look. If I saw your coupe at a show, I'd definitely enjoy taking a look. Just sayin'...rust doesn't sleep. That, and it's not...you know...traditional. Primer is, rust isn't.

26. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

CLR is caustic and stinky - you can do the same with water and scotchbright as you do with CLR and scotchbright.

Lots of patina / CLR threads - see post 15 and on here..

Now that GIBBS OIL sounds worth trying....

;)

27. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Sheep rodder!:(

28. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

If grandpappy loved "patina" as much as guys do now, there'd be a pile of red dust sitting in your garage, not a car. Leaving something you love, cherish, and enjoy in a state of constant deterioration is something I don't think I'll ever understand. Rust is to cars what leprosy is to people. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

29. Buffing and waxing is what I would do as well.

That car has little to no original paint to preserve. When I opened the thread I expexted to see a car with an old paint job on it not with an almost non existent paint job on it. There is a lot of difference in old paint and paint that is worn through to the metal.

Now before the "You're a hater" crowd jumps on the band wagon one should note that this is not hate at all. Maybe a little story would help:

About 30 or so years ago I was riding around on an old beat up motor cycle with a bunch of my friends (some on nice motor cycles). We went through this little town and saw a garage sale and stopped for a rest and a look see. I found this "really cool" shorty motor cycle helmet, it was painted hot pink, for a quarter. So I bought it and proceeded to strap it on as we were leaving town. That was pretty funny for a few minutes, then about 20 miles down the road at a diner one of my friends snagged it and put it in the dumpster.

He wasn't being a hater he was just trying to keep me from looking like a dork.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  30. Tommy R

Tommy R

That Plymouth's finish may not be traditional.....but it is original.

And there's something to be said for something being left in its original state. I'm not saying a car should remain in a "crusty" state if the deterioration is bad enough, but if it's not too bad, I would be inclined to keep that original finish even if it's not shiny.

There's plenty of bad ass cars on this site that have original, but far from excellent finishes. But it can be a slippery slope from "original" to "crusty". Where that line lies is up to the owner, of course, but I would not condemn anyone for wanting to keep a car like that Plymouth as it sits now, provided the rust is addressed and the condition isn't allowed to degrade further.