Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Keeping mice out of your collector car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Play the Richard Berry song "Get out of the car".

Deuces likes this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

...or crank up some Led Zeppelin.... Communication breakdown should do it...;):rolleyes:

2Blue2 likes this.
  3. The boys have free reign and NOTHING lives that does not belong.
    Smokie
    100_0305.JPG
    Hoss
    100_0274.JPG

R A Wrench, Deuces and scotty t like this.
  4. 24riverview

24riverview

Deuces likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got 3 electronic gizmos. So far so good. Just the 10 buck cheapos.

Deuces and scotty t like this.
  6. If you use the electronic ones for mice, keep in mind the ideal height for them is 10-30 inches off the ground according to the manufacturer.

Deuces likes this.
  7. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

What is a good brand to use for the electronic ones. I’ve seen several reviews good and bad. Any real world HAMB results?

Deuces and Truck64 like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

They work well, for us...

Hello,

Over the years of three different houses, from 60 years old to brand new, these devices work. The older ones were just the beginning and the new technology is much better. Your choice will depend on how much and how many you want. Amazon has a ton of companies that offer good ones.
    [​IMG]
    We bought the first edition version. The little blue light was nice in the darkened room/garage. Now we will be getting the 2020 version soon as the we want to keep the frequencies and technology up to date.

There are other brands that do the same, it is up to the buyer to see which ones will fit the decor or location. A small outlet with limited space and usage might want the smallest physical size ultrasonic device to plug in place. We park our daily drivers windows up and never had any problems with any invasions. There are no mice droppings anywhere in the house or garage.

They do live in the far reaches of the yard, but we will give them that space, as long as they don't do any damage. We have some outdoor weather proof plug locations ready if necessary. So far for twenty years, no problem and quiet sound sleep at night. We chose those white units because they are white, look like the contemporary paint wall color and look nice. They work well, so far. Electric outlets in the attic also have some different ones in usage.

Jnaki

Perhaps, next year, we will get different ones to throw in some new frequencies at the empty spaces, as we still have empty wall outlets in the garage, house and yard. I haven't had to clean up bulging eyes or smell forgotten traps, or even worry about those yellow funny boxes with oatmeal looking poison being ingested by our little dog or neighbor's dogs. But, YRMV

Note: We live in a city, but in the outskirts and up in the hills. So we are up against an empty, barren brush area laden with creatures. These work for everyone that likes no hassle situations. The brush areas are so close that fire insurance goes up yearly. But, that is what we live with for peace and serenity.

Note 2:
    Don’t worry about the 10 inch to 30 inch ruling, most electronic wall plugs fall into that category, every 8 feet in a building. Plus, we have them in various locations to cover all heights or unused corners. Some face up, others face directly into the garage or household rooms.

They don’t bother little dogs and little kids. The small lights act as a hallway, garage nightlights for those that don’t have those in the areas that use these. The only thing we don’t do is to attach them to an extension cord. Although, what is the difference? It still works.

Mouse free for 20 years in this current house. Our neighbor, who does not like electronics, has mice and traps them with cheese and peanut butter. But, the bulging eyes when clean up comes, it just awful. “No clean up on aisle 9” in our garage or house. YRMV

Lil32 and 65pacecar like this.
  9. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Deuces and jnaki like this.
  10. Adran

Adran

I hate mice. My experience is that, short of a cat that likes to hunt, there is no reliable way to stop them if the car is stored outside in an area where mice proliferate. It's just a matter of time. If a rodent is desperate, there's very little that will dissuade it from taking up residence in a car. Of course cats themselves can also be nuisances, but the damage they cause isn't quite as insidious. Pick your poison I guess. The best option is always going to be a well-sealed garage, but there's probably no building a mouse can't enter with enough determination.

Deuces likes this.
  11. There is a 6'+ long black snake that lives in my garage that seems to have them under control, I also use dryer sheets every winter and haven't seen evidence of any mice in my cars. ( The black snake hibernates during the winter...)

Deuces likes this.
    jnaki likes this.
  13. If you think you have a mouse problem...

14. Deuces

Deuces

My old home State....:(:(:mad::(

Lil32 likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

cat-shooting.gif

RMR&C and Lil32 like this.
  16. newjunkman

newjunkman
    from snook TX

I always used mothballs on the farm to keep mice at bay. Doesn't kill them, but they don't like the smell. Neither did I, but it's better than having to fix wiring every time something sat for more than a month

Deuces likes this.
  17. v8flat44

v8flat44

Renuzit "After the Rain" solid air freshners, 1 on front floor & 1 on back floor. 5 years.........scent is o k & goes away in a week.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Oilguy

Oilguy

And put steel wool in the tailpipes. They love tail pipes. Blew one out of my Malibu a few years ago before I began to plug the pipes.

Deuces likes this.
  19. This is timely. I found 3 rat turds under the hood of my coupe! I found some places they could get in around a door, so I used some of that expanding foam stuff and sealed it up, along with a bait trap and some glue traps.

Deuces likes this.
  20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I've seen where mice chewed on mothballs...maybe long ago they were a deterrent, but their current formulation won't necessarily repel them.

egads and Deuces like this.