Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Keep the 235 or drop in the 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the b.c.b., Jan 27, 2009.

?
  1. Rebuild the 235

30.9%
  2. Buy/Drop in 283

69.1%
  1. attastude

attastude

that's a difficult decision. I went with the v-8, but a six with dual glasspacks sounds good. a friend in high school had a six powered 56' with duals and he swapped to a 283, it just wasn't the same car....

2. the b.c.b.

the b.c.b.

This might sound like a dumb question, but why does the cooling system need to be reworked for the swap? I've heard a lot of people talk about doing that but nobody has ever told me why.

Another question, I've heard headers can be an issue on tri fives. True or false and why? If so, the cyclones are for a 57 and I know th 57 is a bit different; however, will they work on my 56?

3. the b.c.b.

the b.c.b.

A new question, someone told me that the i-6 bellhousing for my 3 speed is different than the V8 bell housing and I will need to find one. I'm 99% sure I've always heard that's a load (considering he has one to sell me makes me think that too) but am I wrong and do I need a new bellhousing?

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, you'll need a V8 bell housing. The 235 bell isn't even close. However, I still see '55-'57 V8 bell housings at swap meets regularly for $20-$30.

5. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Pre 55, I'd say stick with the six, coz 49-54's look cool with a six. Go for the 283.

6. Go with the Vette motor, the price is right. A truck cast iron bell housing will work and takes the same motor mounts. There should be lots around, the big hole for the bearing retainer might be different, there are ways to get around it.

But hang onto the 6 and build the hell out of it, dare to be different and hold onto the 283 for future reference.

Bob

7. belair

belair

Some headers hang WAY down, (like the Hookers on my 56) and will drag and be a pain in the butt. Plus, they look bad from the side. My dad is building his 55, and is going to build a warmed over 235 with dual carbs and exhaust. He has alot of V8 tri-s, but is really excited about this one. The 283 will require a lot of changes to do right, and will get at least as good, if not better gas milage as the 6. Power difference is obvious. It will also be like most other tri-5s. The 6 will be easier and quicker to swap, will be much less of a belly-button car, and will probably use more gas. I'm voting for the 6.

8. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

If you didn't have a great deal on a 283 I'd say stay with the six but for $500 you gotta snag it. I agree your mileage may suffer but if your six is really that tired you may not be getting that great of mileage anyway. Go with the V8!!

9. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Not to sound like I don't trust anyone, but a 283 with 'only 5k' with all those goodies for only $500!!?? Makes me wonder if there's something wrong with it. I seen plenty of 'rattle can rebuilds' with new paint and gaskets. Be on the safe side and do a compression check first. I'd also check the numbers on the block and heads to verify it is what he says it is (easy enough to find on the web).
    On the other hand, I have a '56 Belair that originally had a 235 that I swapped a V8 into. After having done that, I kinda wished I'd left the six in just to be different (mine's just a cruiser so power it not a big deal). Besides, just about all the '56 Chevys I see have had V8s put in them. To be different leave the six.

10. reverendjim

reverendjim

rebuild or replace the 235 with a new 235 then buy the t 5 adapter from buffalo product and put in a 5 speed overdrive fenton heades true duals and dual offy intake with dual carbs and she will sing and make the v 8 swap boys green with envy dont forget the smittys! remeber what the 235 lacks in horse power she more than makes up for in torq. and a five speed over drive out of an s 10 will make her move. im just a stragiht six guy to each his own you want have to make mods and the t5 will go great with your stock 3.36 third member in you 56. and nothing sounds as good to me a s a straight 6 with duals and glass!

11. reverendjim

reverendjim

2 more cents.... also you can go bigger on a stragiht six a 350 or if you can find one a gmc 302 although with the 302 you will have to mod

12. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I use a goat. I wish I had a donkey.
    You rich folks.

It takes one hell of a 283 to use a 650 dbl pumper.

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

As much as I love the 235, you'll spend a lot of money rebuilding yours, so a nearly new 283 for only $500 is a BIG bargain. The loss in MPG shouldn't be that much... unless your driving habits change

14. 283...235's are cool in full dress and the gas mileage is a plus but for my money the 283 is the best option and the extra power will make ya happy