Register now to get rid of these ads!

Keep mini spool or go with full spool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 550Coupe, Mar 14, 2013.

1. I'm considering changing from a mini spool to a full spool and maybe a pinion support in the 9" in my 34' coupe. The engine dyno'd at 417 hp, torque 445 lb. ft. Weight is around 2600 lb. With new converter I will be launching at around 4,000 rpm. I've run the mini spool for the last 3 - 4 years with no problem but with the upgrades in the engine and converter I'm just wondering how much a mini spool is good for. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Art

2. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I have had all three @ various times. The mini spool served me well but outlived it's usefulness. I would use a lite-weight full spool and a pinion support with studs. g

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you use the mini spool all the torque to the wheels goes through the cross pin so if tis a hardend one I think it would be ok. Them roundy round guys run the crap out of them things for long time.

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You have to remember that the roundy round guys don't shock the driveline like a drag car does, get a full spool, you'll be glad you did!

5. Thanks guys. I was kind of leaning towards the full spool. Just needed a second opinion from someone with a little more experience. Thanks again

Art

6. snaptwo

snaptwo

X2 on the full spool, we broke the hardened cross pin in a mini in an offroad truck --it wasted everything except the housing. Do the full spool !

7. daliant

daliant

Your car is light enough that the mini spool would probably last for a while, it's held up this long without any problems and as long as there's no slop in it you'll be fine. However if it's in the budget I'd go with the full spool just to be on the safe side, plus the spool will be a little lighter.