Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Keep It Sketchy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 20, 2020.

1. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

You guys are awesome!!!....this has brought back memories of how much I used to draw sitting in class.......unfortunately none of them survived to the next class......now I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler or leave a legible three line note to the ol’lady about remembering to feed the dog.......Great Stuff you guys do!!!....Mark

2. 20161013_202730.jpg 20170303_003711.jpg 20170609_083436.jpg I'll add this to the thread. I had three times that I've put a pencil to paper. During my school years. { because of the boredom } in class. The 2nd was in 2006 when I had heart surgery, and recovery, { again boredom } Than the 3rd time was because of the HAMB's Friday's art show. But I only took art class in high school. I did get A's except for the one time that we were to make a sculpture. I made a very accurate Rat Fink. The teacher didn't like it much. lol I started drawing because of the Ed Roth's cool art. As a Kar Krazy Kid, I really loved his stuff! :) Ron........

hotrodjack33, Lepus, rc57 and 11 others like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you all for sharing your drawings. I'm glad I wasn't the only one doodling to pass the time. This week, two more showed up. One if fictions, while the other one is a real-deal Gasser. Good times... Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 9.40.14 PM.png
    IMG_7422.jpg

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I came across a whole cache of my juvenilia – some 900 pages – a few years ago and scanned the lot. Here are a few very early examples:
    dgc 0113.jpg dgc 0451 cropped.jpg dgc 0016.jpg dgc 0080.jpg dgc 0084.jpg dgc 0025.jpg dgc 0029.jpg dgc 0039.jpg
    I'm probably a generation older than you, @J.Ukrop , so most of this happened in the very late '60s and early to mid '70s.

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Two very very early ones showed up the other day. The Bronco is worth including because it's one of my few non-drag cars that I attempted to draw. 20621053_1399878820067765_5086414539604407974_n.jpg
    20604205_1399878306734483_7329779755103720547_n.jpg

6. catdad49

catdad49

I had an early one that was in color, it was quite detailed and was named "The Masher"! I wish I knew where that went. I have more that I will post up because we need to keep this going ( keep our minds off of what's going on) I hope that you are staying both safe and sane, Carp.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20160325_223820.jpg

:rolleyes:...Hey I got 8 out of 10...:D

This was about 1976ish @J.Ukrop

Wonder what inspired this eh!!

8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-29_5-16-46.png

Hello,

Several of the last drawings were put on one page of my drawing notebook in 1965-66. Whenever I was in the mood, earlier drawings made it easier to draw something new. My early memory of the Speed Sport Roadster from 1959, a classic Model A Truck that my brother and I could have built in 1962-63. There was even a 1955 Nomad modified to be a daily driver, surf transportation, but with enough power to win in the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes. Yes, it shows an “up in the air” pose, but my action and smoking tires effects were terrible, so they were always left out. So, assume it just powered itself off of the starting line and was rumbling down the dragstrip.

One day I thought I needed custom headers for the 65 El Camino. There was plenty of space in the motor compartment to have equal length pipes tucked under the body leading back to the mufflers for better normal performance and mileage. Then I saw a streamlined FED at Fremont Dragstrip and that got me started in creating a better streamlined race car. Then being college kids that could argue on most any topic with our young minds, there was a classic argument. It was about how much or how little streamlining did in 9 seconds at the drags versus the full on, two mile course at Bonneville. (a more streamlined Scuderia FED) That was a "doozy" of a discussion...

Jnaki

Then reality took over and I quit drawing for many years until one day after we got married and out came the drawing book again.
    upload_2020-4-29_5-18-55.png
    My one and only ¾ rear angle drawing that took weeks to finish. For some reason, all of my drawings have to face left and I am right handed. It is a quirk I cannot get over, despite numerous attempts to draw hot rods facing right and no other angles were ever attempted. (Poor depth perception…) It may have been from an art class I took in college that stressed angular drawings, mechanical to freehand. My favorite was a box. Then a stack of boxes in a 3d mode. Those were fun to draw.

As far as the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, I would NOT drive that drawing on the street, it was just a lazy art drawing day that turned into weeks.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

34_RoadsterV2.jpg

:rolleyes:...A Bttt for a Sketchy Birthday Wish @J.Ukrop...1977 at 17 years old

The Good Ole Days...

Hope the Cake is Delightful...Have a good one...;)

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-7-9_3-49-0.png
    Hello,

Being a long way from home, close friends, and a budding surf career did a number on my psyche. Here I was in San Jose,CA, well before the mad rush and crowded “Silicone Valley” madness (pun intended). (With a short drive near the SF nightlife back then.) I had just sold my high school daily driver, 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a Flathead motor. We had previously ended our drag strip racing days and Long Beach, CA was a long way, away. My friends were scattered all over the USA and I probably would not see them again until the high school class reunions. So, being in a simple apartment was going to be it for the next several years, until graduation.

What made it a little better was a new 1965 red El Camino sitting in the covered, parking area, just outside of my window. That would allow me to travel all over Northern California, from the inland mountains to the pristine Santa Cruz coastline to San Francisco. I did not bring my longboard as I wanted to concentrate on school, but all good intentions came to a drastic halt with the new area not being Long Beach or the So Cal coastline environments. It was a confusing time.

I tried to up my attitude toward drag racing with several road trips just up the freeway North to Fremont Dragstrip. At first, it was much different than Lions Dragstrip. The main difference was that I was sitting in the stands and not working or driving a car on the dragstrip. Then it was watching fast cars, but no one I associated with being from So Cal. It was a strange thing to be doing and I tried it one more time the following week, to no avail. It was just not So Cal.
    ROLLING STONES

Jnaki

So, I sat down at my desk and started to scribble flames of all kinds, like I used to do in junior high school, then high school. The doodling slowed down in college due to the massive notes we had to take every second of the hour. It did feel good to just let the pencil flow over the whole art drawing book with anything I could think of to draw. The closest thing to the last sale of our hot rods was the Impala, but that style of drawing was not in my repertoire. So, I started a sedan delivery. It took me a while to get the lines fairly straight and the odd ball wheels round.
    RIGHTEOUS BROS

Everything I could think of that I would have done to the sedan delivery, if I had kept it and still lived in So Cal. An SBC motor with dual quads, a C&O Stick Hydro, a Positraction rear axle set up and flowing headers going back to a custom exhaust system. Traction Master Bars in 1959 to 65 were mandatory for hot rods with rear leaf springs for maximum traction with the upgraded driveline power. I realized that I could rent out the side of my rear blank panels (and possibly the rear door) for advertising to make a part time monthly income.

The sketches were one thing that made me feel right at home and my grades began to improve. I needed better grades to get full credits so I could apply back at Long Beach State College for the last years of school. I was going home, so I had to drop out of football and all sports activities other than surfing at Santa Cruz. It was a goal I had set and it made a whole world of difference in my overall attitude toward the current school year. It was a decision that was perfect for me and the result, a year later was that I met my wife in a couple of classes and started dating in 1966.
    upload_2020-7-9_3-51-32.png
    What the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery would have looked like, sitting in front of a Main St. surf shop in Huntington Beach in 1965… It does not matter if we had owned two different, but similar 40 sedan delivery trucks, the freehand sketch never looks the same as the real thing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  11. High test 63

High test 63

So awesome! Chicks, choppers, rods, surf, wrecks!
    Can tell ya weren't paying attention in spelling class- resterent sign behind the chopper honey! Yee haw!

12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The unfinished 56 Chevy, I love pencil & pen and ink.
    millers 56 chevy.JPG

13. High test 63

High test 63

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Virtually NONE of my early artwork survived several "family moves" but I just recently found a few.

These 2 from about 9th grade. 100_4969.jpg 100_4965.jpg

A photocopy of a color drawing I did for Mother's Day. My Dad had bought my Mom a new '66 Bronco, but she preferred to drive her old pink & black '55 Ford convert. She and "Crink" the dog would to town once a week (Fridays) for groceries and hair styling. 100_4971.jpg

(A little water-damaged.)
    4 years later, same car...and it appears I finally figured out a more "Robert Williams's (the Master) style" of drawing tires and rims !!! 100_4996.jpg

15. catdad49

catdad49

Love 'em, Jack!

hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Great Stuff Hoodlums...I always enjoy the many varied Artistic Styles...Again I'm very honored to be here amongst this diverse group sharing these Gearhead Graphics...

catdad49 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Carp. Kind words are always appreciated:D
    Well, we're honored to have YOU amongst us:cool: I'm sure all of us feel that way:D

Ron Funkhouser, Stogy and catdad49 like this.