Register now to get rid of these ads!

History KC Mo custom?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by zombie cadillac, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Is anybody gonna just cruise over and knock on the door of that house and FIND OUT if the chopped Chev got moved inside??? Or sold? Or jun... No, not that! (or relocated to an adjoining lot)
    All that local history, and nobody can just drive over and ask?
    C'mon, I've gotta know...

2. Uh you don't knock on that guys door and ask about his cars. I will go by with my buddy when he comes by. That end of town is theft central anymore, and Richard is like me on steroids when it comes answering questions that he considers none of your business.

3. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I well remember that green HD at army navy surplus. I used to look it over close as I had the same bike in a civilian model(Harley 45). Mine was in pieces when I got it so that green bike was a help in getting mine back together, of course no one could ever buy it. Somebody mentioned the "wheel" in sedalia. If I remember right they were the ones with a hamburger on the menu with peanut butter called the goober burger.

4. That is the impression I got just from looking at the place when I drove past last Saturday. I am the same way when it comes to being bothered by a knock on the door from a stranger, so I drove past said "huh, it's gone" and let it be. I am still very curious about the car and it's story though.

5. Yep, I dug the Hell out of that old military Harley (wonder where it went) thing had like three inches of dust and a ton of character.
    I too was going to ask if the Wheel was the one with the "goober Burger".

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  6. Last time I was in bannister mall it was all knots of Click Clack wannabes. There was a place to get a decent cup of Jo in there at the time. I had to shove my way in and shove my way out, the wife said we should probably not go back. All the malls around here have gone that way, its warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

So much for the Mall, a friend 'Stein had a speeds shop on Blue Ridge in the '70s, just north of 107th. He drove a Yellow twin turbo vega. It had a twin turbo hemi in the window.

7. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I think we all know what brought down bannister mall. My brothers first house was in Ruskin Heights on 109th right behind the high school in the early '70's. Most the homes there were clean and cared for. Now I wouldn't drive through there after dark. I should remember a speed shop on 107th and blue ridge but I don't. My first job as a kid was at Zarda's dairy store(next door to Paul's). I didn't last long there but right across the street John Hunt had a welding shop and I learned to weld from him. He was a lifelong friend till he died.

8. Big Johnson Burgers. :D Paul's is still there and they still make on helluva malt aside from a super greasssy cheeser.

Stien would have been to your left as you looked out the door and about a block away, up by where the Aldie's (sp) is now. Our first house in the city was in Ruskin, we were still living there when I joined the HAMB. 113th and Sycamore terr. We had a clean block, but by the time I left my ball bat was getting used at least once a month to keep it that way.

I guess the real hard core guys used to race the triangle back in the '70s.

9. My grandparents lived on Ewing ave in Ruskin, not too far off 107th and Blue Ridge. They lived there till abut '89, my uncle lived there till the mid '90s. When I was a kid it was a cool little neighborhood. there was a little park at the corner of Ewing and 107th we walked to to play. I wouldn't want to get out of the car in that cool little neighborhood now. It's a damn shame.
    I used to go to Zarda with my Grandma to get icecream.

10. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Actually, we raced on 470 when it opened but also witnessed (and were in a few) races on 71 right where you get on 71 after Bannister going south towards Grandview. You could then split and one guy head to Grandview, the other to Kansas on 435.

I have some cool images of our cars on 470 before it opened. We hopped on at Blue Ridge and headed down toward Raytown Road on the wrong side and took pictures.

We used to race three way on 470 starting at JA Reed heading to Blue Ridge. It was right at darn near 1/4 mile.

The Wheel is still in Sedalia only down across from the Fair entrance.

And I am sad to hear Griffs is gone. I have not been through Sedalia for three plus years.

Griffs in Raytown is now a Chinese place, Griffs on 40 is now a Subway, Griffs in Lee's Summit is called Shanghi Boy and forgot the other one we spoke of.

We too went to Zarda but that one on Blue Ridge while we lived in Robandee and the one on 50 and Raytown Road when we moved. Dad would buy us factory reject potato chips in the clear bag for 29 cents. Had a lot of green and dark brown ones but what the heck, with seven kids, any chips were great. Also got lots of pop when it was taken off the market for suspect carcinogens back in the late 60s or so.

Sorry again to hijack the original thread. I do hope you all figure out that cool car.
    it

11. No highjacking at all man. I'm digging this history lesson seriously.

12. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

The last time through Sedalia, the Wheel was torn down. There is another business on that corner.

13. John "Oop" Fensom was the guy who painted Dickie's cars as well as Vander Woude's Charger III funny car. He was working at a transmission shop in LS when I had Dick's '69 Camaro FC in my garage -- just starting the restoration -- and was going to have him repaint it. Unfortunately Val and Donnie split up right about then and she took it to California with her.

14. It's now closed. Owner had some health issues.

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

…and I had my mom drive me to Ray Farhner's shop as soon as we moved to KC in '59. I was six months shy of getting my driver's license!

16. Just a quick update on the original question.

Talked with my old racing buddy and he said to give Richard a call and gave me his number. I wired up a phase converter for his lathe in the '90s and he remembered me, imagine that. Anyway the old Chevy has been sold. It was a '47 by the way.

17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Not a chicken, I just don't like being shot. As I recall from the last two time it hurts and unless you know a crooked veterinarian getting the bullet removed can become a real nightmare. :)

Animal and Pinstriper40 like this.
  19. Man, to be in a place like Farhner's shop.... the historical significance of that place, WOW! Seeing and hearing about vehicles like the "Boothill Express" and "Outer Limits" 'Vette, and knowing they came out of a shop in KC was always cool to me when I was a kid. To be there and witness it all would have been awesome!

20. Thank you Sir. I appreciate you talking to him. Like I said before, that car always facinated me and I always wondered what happened to her and what she was for sure. Thanks for answering that for me man, I really do apreciate it!

21. Thanks for doing the leg work, Ben. I wonder where it went...

22. Me too... Would be cool to see it turn up at Greaserama or something.

23. He said it went out to Kansas I didn't ask where and Kansas could be anywhere from KCK to pig snarf. :D

At least it didn't go to the crusher. ;)

24. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's a yellow 47 chevy
    It could have been if you squint
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403210004.021288.jpg

Posted from Austinrod

25. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

That's a later Fleetline...

26. Nope....You get another try....:) Centurion9

27. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Sorry googled 47 chevy yellow that's what pulled up don't know a lot of the 40's Chevys

Posted from Austinrod