Register now to get rid of these ads!

History KC Mo custom?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by zombie cadillac, Jun 4, 2014.

1. hey all. I'm a long time reader and a first time poster. I have a question for Kansas City area car guys. When I was a kid in the KC area i remember seeing a cool old custom in a driveway on Hillcrest Road, between Bannister and I470. It sat all through the '80s, I don't remember it ever moving... When I was back in the area in the early 2000s a privacy fence had been put up around the place. The car, as best as i can remember, was a '50s sedan, chopped and channeled, it was a orange/yellow color with some green striping. I was young when I saw it so my memory of it is fuzzy, but i always had kind of an infactuation with it.I know this is vey vauge, but Does anyone know the car I'm talking about? I would like to know the story of this car, what was it, where is it etc. Thank you in advance for any info

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Bump for the night crew. Sure wish you had a photo to post. Stu

3. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I remember seeing it but I've lived away since '88. Raytown born here.

4. thanks for the replys. I wish i did have a picture, unfortunately the only thing I have is a fuzzy 25 year old memeory. I also left that part of the state in the late '80s. I was born in Lee's Summit, and my grand parents were in Ruskin.

5. AJ67SS

AJ67SS

My memory says it was yellow and I always thought it was a Chev.

Right near 97th street maybe...........

I think it disappeared around the time that the Cerner campus got built up.

All I can remember.......(Grandview grad, still in Lee's Summit)

6. Yea it belongs to a guy named Richard. He bought it for the engine ( it had a hot small block at one time) to bolt into a '57 Chebby that he was racing. It was or is yellow and has a brown padded dash with a Nova cluster. I don't know Richard well but I have a friend that does, if you want I'll see if he still owns it.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I would like to see a pic if you can beaner

8. I'll talk the Schoolster into taking me over there when he stops by later this week. If it is the same car that i am thinking of I tried to buy it back in the '90s. It had a lot of bondo work on the chop and it was starting to crack back then.

9. Thank you for the input! Yes I believe it would have been around 97th. or so, like I said it has been a really long time. As a kid I dug the hell out of it and used to begged the ol' man to drive me past it.As an adult I've always wondered if it was as badass as I thought it was when I was 6. I've always been curious what the story and history of it was,why it never moved and stuff, being an engine donor expains that.

10. I would love to see a picture of it if you could get one sir!

11. I lived around the corner from them. It was at 101st Street and Hillcrest (I lived at 101st Terrace). I went to high school (Hickman Mills) with the guy's daughter, but now I don't remember their name. I seem to remember seeing it in the late '70s and it sat there for 20 years at least. It was a severely chopped late '40s Chevy Fleetline and I seem to remember that it was built or owned by someone in the Rod Tiques club. It sat there for years and years, sometimes under a tarp, but most of the time open to the elements.

12. I never could believe something like that sat out in the open all those years on that busy road.
    Late 40s Fleetline...kool thank you!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well shit now I want to drive by! Haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'm only 8 minutes away but google earth is faster

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402063541.269254.jpg

15. Wow it's still there after all years! At least it moved up by the house and got somewhat covered.Thank you Tim! I may just have to take a road trip to KC Saturday (it's gonna rain anyway) just to drive by.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Swing by the tattoo shop while your in town and say hi. Sink or swim tattoo just a block north of the sprint center on McGee. I always like meeting new hamb guys :)

The earth view shows it with out a tarp on it but it looks like an older shot

17. I'll try man! I have a reall problem with going into tattoo shops and not blowing my paycheck though :D the wife kinda makes me avoid them.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha, well then you definitely should come by. There's a cute store next door that sells pinup girl cutesy dresses and etc if you need to distract the misses ;)

19. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Huh, small world, my wife is part of Modified Dolls and knows the owner of Sink or Swim

20. I tried to enlarge that picture much as I could......what is showing looks from here
    like a mid to late 1940s Chevy front end. Always cool to discover another neat
    old car.

21. I swear when I was a 5 or 6 year old kid, that baby was alot longer and lower.....

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402091105.347762.jpg

I don't know man, look at those chair seat heights and the size of the castors on the cart and the. Rocker height, that things pretty damn low. And if you look the top of the tarp is t the top of the car it's bunched up. Look hard you can see the roofline what I figure is about 5 inches below the tarps profile

23. Oh yeah, she's down there. Don't get me wrong, I think it's badass, but when I was a kid, that thing might as well been the Hirohata Merc... You know what I mean? I always dug it and still do.

24. It's a bit of a shame that it's been sitting there all this time. Glad you found it, Tim!

25. Taking a close look at the picture, that looks like it's on the NW side of the house where the driveway exits onto Hillcrest. At various points in time it has been on the SE side on the 101st Street side. Must've moved it around to keep the nosey neighbors happy!

26. I always saw it nosed towards 101st. Almost at the end of the drive. In fact I think another car sat behind it, between it and the house???

27. Rad-Ride

Rad-Ride

Wow... ask and you shall receive, awesome!

28. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Sorry I wasn't any help with information but it is fun to hear about something I laid eyes on back in the day, possibly while skipping school as a Ruskin High School rat. Zombie, I think you should be the next caretaker of this sled. It needs a new owner to love on it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If I think about it on a few days when I have a day off I'll go drive by and see what it looks like.

Maybe I'll convince beaner to come with me as he seems to know more then I do... Well about this anyways ;)

zombie cadillac likes this.
  30. You guys are great! Thank you everyone who replied! I have thought about this thing off and on my whole life. I'm sure I could not give her the home she deserves right now, but it's cool to know more about it, and that it's still around.
    Degenerate, it seems to me that whole Ruskin, Hickman, Grandview area was a gearhead paradise! My dad and uncles were Ruskin grads..