Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Kb3 brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zach Jurkiewicz, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Zach Jurkiewicz

Zach Jurkiewicz

Hey guys. My first build And seeking a little advice. Picked up a international kb3 with a flat head 6. Looking to convert the brakes to disc but can’t figure out exactly where to start. Any advice would be appreciated. And remember. My first build so be detailed lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. That's a flat HEAD six. A flat 6 would be a Corvair or Porsche engine, with 3 cyinders on either side;).

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

As nice as that truck is, I'd repair the factory brakes, get everything else sorted out, then decide ...

4. I wouldn't look to convert to disc. Just get the stock brakes in tip top shape and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Nice looking International. Tell us more about it. Does it run?

6. Zach Jurkiewicz

Zach Jurkiewicz

Well here’s my dilemma. I picked this thing up for 900 bucks. Said it was his dads and wasn’t in to doing anything with it parked it and it sat for two years. Hasn’t ran since brought it home put some fresh gas down the carb and it fired right up. Gonna do a tune up IE plugs, wires, cap rotor points oil change you know basic stuff. Brakes didn’t work and attempted to bleed the brakes. Couldn’t get the cap off of the master cylinder and it eventually broke. So now I have to get a new cylinder. I don’t know weather to upgrade my cylinder or stay with the same one. It needs new tires but unfortunately no one in California will change a 2 piece rim(original stock rims) which sparked an interest on converting to disc brakes since I may need new rims.

7. chriseakin

chriseakin

Brake parts may interchange with Fords of the same year, at least it did for my '57 IH. You might want to find a Hollander Exchange manual for that year.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I can't say for certain, but there are wheels that will interchange. Which bolt pattern do you have?

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Before going too much further, you want to test compression. Anything over 70 PSI & close to even on all 6 should be fine ...
    Before you spend a bunch of $$$ on ignition, clean up any obviously still usable parts you have for re-use. The past few years have seen a decline in quality of most available new electrical parts, & what you have is probably better quality than what you can buy..
    S55, those 3/4 & 1 ton binders have a unique, big 6 lug pattern.

Boneyard51 and s55mercury66 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We had sa discussion on here a while back on those wheels. Find an old mechanic to show you how to do those rims. They were made in two pieces to make the easy to change. No problem to change tires with hand tools. That way you can keep your original wheels if you want to. Bones

s55mercury66 likes this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yeah, I couldnt remember if they were 6 or 5 lug, like Ford had. I would not be afraid of the 2 piece rims myself, but dont want to cause an uproar. Did they use a drop center rim toward the end, like in the 70's?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yeah, S55they got a bum rap, from jokers that didn’t know what they were doing and blamed the rim. A two piece in good shape, worked right is a safe rim. Did many of them in my day and I’m still here. Bones

s55mercury66 and 302GMC like this.