Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Kansas City event- help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Huseby, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

Simple event, but all invited. Saturday, May 28, 2016 Mark Anderson, Dave Snedeger and I are hosting a local tour and seminar. The itinerary will be this:
    1. Meet and visit at Porky's barbeque parking lot beginning at 11:00 AM. Intersection of BB Highway and Colburn Road in rural eastern Jackson County, MO. This is about 5 miles or so west of Blue Springs and about 5 miles south of Grain valley. Photo op.
    2. Eat and visit at Porky's. Noon 'til 1:00 or so.
    3. Scenic drive east on Colburn Road then various country roads east (total of 15-20 miles) to Anderson Aviation to see Mark and Andy's antique air planes, including their Model A-powered open cockpit planes. That's all I will tell you in advance about that. Too much to tell. Mark will tell a little about conceiving a project and some of his construction and restoration techniques. Picture time. Mark's place requires about 1 mile of driving on gravel.
    4. Scenic drive westerly, 10-15 miles, to rural Oak Grove for a seminar at Jim Huseby's Speedsters on "Practical Metal Working for the Home Craftsman". Bathroom stop at Quick Trip on the way. See olympic-speedsters.com Bring safety glasses or face shield and welding lenses for gas and for MIG/TIG. Gentle warning: Jim is a wonderfully friendly guy who will do all he can to help you unless you choose to cuss or play your car stereo on his property, in which case he will immediately see you off.
    5. Tour back west and south to Valley Speedway 3/8 mi dirt oval track at Grain Valley. Great (in my unsophisticated opinion) hamburgers, pizza and trackside food and beverages and GREAT racing action. Bring jackets and blankets as it can get cold when the sun goes down and possibly bring a cushion to soften the bleachers. Definitely bring hearing protection (available at the stands, if you forget) and you will wish you had brought eye protection 'cause those things sling dirt (whack!) into the stands. If you don't leave with dirt in your hair you ain't been to the races. You'll love it. Admission is about 12 bucks. Maybe I'll ask the track owners if we can park our cars on display and or do a slow display lap. They may announce that we're there if you want a few people asking us questions. The track opens around 6:00 and to get us parked and cooperated with whatever the track owners (and we) decide to do, we may need to be there at 5:30 or so. Racing is required by "The City" to end at 10:00 PM or so, but visiting in the pits which is almost as exciting as the racing, can last another hour or so. Your personal option. I'll also look at the season schedule and inform you what types of cars are racing that night.
    6. There are motels in the immediate area. I will find which one to recommend for those of us who will need a good night's rest before heading back.

OK. How does it sound so far? Any major date conflicts? I will get the itinerary cemented and posted in the next week. But I need help in posting this in the appropriate spot, so someone please pm me , post an answer or email me at [email protected]

2. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

One mistake already. Item 1: Make that 5 miles or so EAST of Blue Springs

3. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

Another mistake. Item 5: Make that "dirt in your hair eyes, teeth and clothing!" You'll love it for sure.

4. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

More info. You can go to valleyspeedway.com for info. The classes will be Valley Sprints (I think this is 360 cu in winged sprint cars), two classes of Modifieds, Outlaw Streets and Dirt Demons. But there may be a major problem: Their schedule says May 28 is a Friday. My 2016 calendar says the 28th is a Saturday. I'll call them tomorrow. A major change may take place in the last item on the tour itinerary. I still need a little help. Thanks.