Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical K-Line Vs. Goodson Valve Liner Kit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard D, Jan 20, 2014.

1. 35desoto

35desoto

when I had my machine shop we used the K line method.
    Never had a problem- never had a failure and they saved many a head.
    Applied correctly its a great system that is better than the cast in valve guide

2. The Goodson looks pretty much the same for half the price. This is for home/hobby use, probably only do a set of heads every tear or so.

3. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

We have k-line..... And I've used Goodson..... Nothing wrong with Goodson.....

Question is .....What will you be doing to recut the valve sets...... And regrind the valves?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Machine shop.

5. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Why not let them do everything then? kind of hard for a shop to stand behind its work if someone else has got their fingers on it.... just wondering.....

example... If a parial job comes to me....I have to recheck everything that was done.... and thats not free

we hone guides to finish for clearaces and have thousands of dollars in gauges to check this.... Theres more to it than just slipping some liners in.....
    again just wondering....for all I know you worked in a shop for 25 years

6. Dan

Dan

I'll open a can of worms here...
    We have the old tech. valve guide knurling setup...
    Anyone want to give their thoughts on the pros and cons?
    Here are my thoughts, any heads that I knurl the guides on are usually engines that do not see a lot of miles (parked for the winter, "fun" drivers - not daily drivers, etc.) I am sure that pressed in guides are preferable for daily duty but am under the assumption that knurling is okay for low use engine...
    Another question, when knurling, how much clearance between the valve stem and and finished guide should a person be shooting for?
    Thanks-

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Goatropero2 has a real valid point there plus the simple fact that you would have to do a lot of heads to recover the cost of the kit. If you were grinding your own valves and seats it would be a different story but unless i was doing a lot of heads I can't see spending the money to try to save 50 or so bucks once a year or so.

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

$50 to install liners ???? I want the address of that machine shop !!!
    dave

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a lot of them when I had access to the equipment in the school shop that I taught in and ran one set 100K in my own rig. It isn't anywhere near as good as replacing the guides though. I'm not sure on the clearance as I never measured it and just used the prescribed reamer.

10. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

We dont knurl any guides as a repair.....it will only last for a short period of time as all you have done raised small areas to tighten them.....clearance wise...you still need what ever spec is on that application

11. My buddy is interested in this, not me really. Maybe he'll chime in.

12. OK' I will chime in. If memory serves well, the K-line kit is $800 compared to Goodson at $400. The cost of the limers is under a buck 9kinda like deernuts). Richard has one set of heads he wants done, which at $200 a set, would not make much sense to buy the tooling. BUT,,, I have probably a half dozen sets that I would like to do. As far as checking them, they come with a go-nogo gauge. If you take them to get the valves ground and the valves aren't sloppy, , ,Just saying, this would make my pile of stuff useable instead of just a pile.