Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just wondering...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluedot, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Bluedot

Bluedot

I'm building a chopped '30 A coupe. Just wondering if I'm the only idiot who bangs his head 3-4 times every work session getting in and out of a chopped car. It's not a severe chop (4"), not channeled, not really that low, and I'm short. So I've got no excuses, other than I must be an idiot. I expect I'll do again today - you'd think I'd learn. Beginning to wonder if I need to wear a helmet just to work on the %$#@* thing any more. :eek:

2. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Well my '41 ford truck is low enough that i can lean on it with an elbow, but only chopped 4", and yesterday I cracked my head after i leaned in to get something: i said to myself, outloud " when the hell are you going to remember how low this thing is?" :rolleyes:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 48 is chopped four inches and the head banging thing or learning to duck is part of it. I'm only 5'10" and shrinking so it is a chopped top thing rather than a tall thing. After about 15 years I learned to duck and save smacking my head.

4. 1ton

1ton

You would think a smack in the head would teach you but nooooo. It's almost like you rattled something loose in there and the short term memory shorted out.
    Its even worse when you leave some hairs hanging there on something like a screw head.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And it's even more fun on a car with adjustable suspension, where your "memory" of where the top of the door opening is located isn't worth a damm because the car isn't at the same height all the time. Gary

6. Yea it is part of owning a chopped car, you learn two things with time, one is to duck when you are getting out and the other is to get at least one step away from it before you striaghten up I had slammed my shioulders and the back of my kneck as much as my head over the years getting in and out of choped ot channeled cars. I am not taller that '48 ( I think it is a NW thing), and also loosing discs left and right a disc is worth about a quarter inch. ;)

7. upspirate

upspirate

About half the time I forget to tuck my knee under the steering wheel when getting in my channeled truck....awkward to get things folded in after if you don't!

I haven't bumped my head yet....well literally.
    Lot's of folks think I've bumped my head figuratively!!!

8. squirrel

squirrel

I've worked on a chopped A. You're not the only one....

9. Bluedot

Bluedot

That one I finally figgered out just yesterday afternoon. Anyone watching me must think I'd doing some kind of a weird dance, backing about three steps away from the car while bent over at about 90º, but dammit, I'm tired i've getting popknots on the back of my head. (Front too - one time yesterday I hit going in. How stupid is that?)

10. crashbox

crashbox

I'm 5foot7in tall and my 31 coupe not chopped or channeled and I've banged my head hard enough to draw blood more than once, much to the amusement of my buddies, who have started calling me Bump.

11. my 51 has been chopped for a few years now. banged my head yesterday.it is kinda fun to let some body sit it in it and then wait for it though..

12. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Glad I'm not the only scar tissued numb-skull. The 34 is a sucker with narrower floor than roof.

13. I hit my head a LOT , Dad used to tell me if you don't make a mistake once in a while , you ain't doing nothin' , That is why I visit this site , there are no stupid questions , the questions posed are honest attempts to learn from others who had to solve the same problems in the past ,,,,most are very good info , some are hilarious, but , ALWAYS, entertaining ,
    you ain't done hittin' yer' head yet, niether am I
    ,, I always told the Pretty boys , (when they got mouthy) " I didn't get this ugly , and all these scars , from backin' down !! it was a great defense , never had to fight ,,,, I'm just ugly , and hit my head a LOT !!!

14. fleetside66

fleetside66
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bang my head so often getting in the driver's side that I think my head is bigger on the right than on the left. But, I always was right brained.

15. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

'My son's Model A coupe is chopped 5.5" I have learned to get in an out of it slow!

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Slow down and look before you get in or out.

17. mines chopped 3 inch and i hit my head from time to time,my dad seems to do it more tho! i only smack it once in a while. i usually hop in it slow.

but your not the only one.

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Problem? Yes! But they look so cool chopped, it's worth it....

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    from Michigan

..........................Bump

20. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

HELMET LAWS SUCK ..........but you might just be heading in that direction .

21. roundvalley

roundvalley

Trade for a roadster!

22. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

No biggie! A few scars on your noggen makes you look like a badass anyway... I got 40 stitches on mine...:eek:

23. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Make that 45...:(