Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just wanted to try this for myself...VINEGAR BATH...***UPDATE May 27th***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 15, 2011.

1. RichG

RichG

When you're done with your vinegar you can bottle it and sell it to the Old Skoolerz as "Eau de Patina".

...and who knew there were so many chemists on the Hamb?

2. andyg

andyg

Might be a good idea to neutralize the acid with ammonia when your finished. That stops the acidic reaction. Water does not stop the reaction. It dilutes it but does not stop it. If you don't nuetralize it with a base solution such as ammonia then the acid will still be eating on it five or ten years from now!

3. busguy71

busguy71

electrolysis would have been cheaper, throw a battery charger on a piece of steel, add water, and spend $3 on laundry soda, cleans parts in minutes to hours, not days.

4. The dog's bollocks then? :D

5. yblock292

yblock292

Hell larry should be , everything else is!

6. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

How about the Tom cats's tits ? I get that one a lot.

7. daddio211

daddio211

So this beg's the question (no, not cat's ass, dog's balls, or tom cat's tits):

Has anyone tried electrolysis in vinegar? No, I didn't do a search for it first! :)

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

9. tinmann

tinmann

8 pages in..... and I can't believe I'm the only one to say it....... Larry, you're a shitty scientist. Don't you know that in order for this to be scientific you have to have another wheel soaking in a placebo vinegar? If you don't, then the wheel that is currently soaking may very well have derusted itself due to the power of self-healing..... not vinegar. C'mon, get scientific or give up the charade.

Nice gasser...... what's the plan?

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Just picked up 12 gal of vinegar from the owner of the local greasy spoon- but now I gotta go out with his waitress again, been gettin' a little ornery lately, needs a little therapy- damn, what a guy'll do for his car stuff :eek:
    If 12 gal ain't enough, maybe I'll go to Costco :rolleyes:

11. You're right, should be hydrochloric. Memory playing games with me..... :rolleyes:

12. nali

nali

Yes ... I know .... The problem is last time I did it , my tropical fishes all died , an then my kids cryed a lot .... Not to mention I had no "intimate moments " with my girl for about 3 weeks ....

13. TXMark

TXMark

reverse electrolisys works better with nothing removed but the oxidized metal

14. evintho

evintho

I've used vinegar on tools and it works great. For larger, seriously rusted car parts I use molasses. Built this 4' square tank in my backyard and lined it with a pond liner. You can fit most anything in there. 20 gallons of molasses costs $60. Diluted it 7:1 with water. Broke down my roadster body and let the panels sit in the brew for 2 weeks. Came out clean as a whistle!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also threw in these '35 wires and a bunch of early suspension parts that were basically a block of rust. They came out like this. Molasses doesn't touch original paint, chrome, rubber or pot metal!

Just thought I'd add something extra to this vinegar thread.

[​IMG]

15. nali

nali

Vinegar and mollasses don t do the same way ....
    Vinegar is acid , and will eat anything . Even a AMC Gremlin after Midnight . Use any acid .... Hydrochloric , Muriatic ( the same ) , formic , acetic , glogloric , the necro-ulric ...... all will destroy metal .
    The other way is chelation , as done with molasses . Or phosphoric acid . Probably the best way .
    There s been thousand of topic about this ..... Electrolysis works also . It s also safe for no heated metal as a spring .

16. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

After a vinegar bath, steel parts want to rust very quickly.
    Wipe them down to get the black crud off, and wire brush to finish.
    Either primer right away or rub oil into the metal.
    I use motorcycle chain wax, doesn't attract dirt.
    I reckon molasses is better all things considered.

17. nali

nali

Epoxy primer ....

18. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

this is more exciting than watching paint dry!:rolleyes:

19. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

There has been an odor lingering in the air all the way over at my house that smells like someone has been dying Easter eggs.........guess I found the culprit.

I did my own vinegar experiment last winter. Just some small parts in a mason jar. It is truly amazing. It's not fast, but does a great job.

20. nali

nali

Same smell , and off topic , but silicon cures really fast when you mix it with a few drops of water . Usefull to make a cheap and fast pattern .

21. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

Well after reading your craigslist post. Looks like u will need a really big tub and a lot more vinegar.congrats

22. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I figured that out when my girlfriend entered a wet t-shirt contest. Sorry, I thought ya meant silicone. :D

23. What happened? Where are the results? Enquiring minds want to know.

24. patman

patman

25. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I've been looking but can't find molasses in large quantities. Where did you get it? thanks

26. big creep

big creep

equestrian supplies, arcadia, burbank, sunland look it up. they sale it by the gallon.

27. belair

belair

tractor Supply.

28. 02lowrider

02lowrider
    from Round Rock

This is interesting and helpful....I've got plenty of rusted parts so off I go to the store!

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Forgot all about this stupid thing...12 days in the vinegar...pulled it out and simply hosed it off...no scrubbing. The brown color is primer, not rust.

Damn! Am I REALLY that fat?!...shit

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. big creep

big creep