Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just thinking....The Jalopy Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad S., Feb 24, 2008.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

Covered in dirt and grease. Taking apart the front suspension of my Roadster for a rebuild. So I'm standing there...looking at this mess...and started laughing because I happened to remember a quote I saw in a Jalopy Journal editorial way way long ago.

"Spreading some grease on your internet sandwich."

Or something.

Back when it was only updated once in a blue moon and Ryan wrote "quirky" editorials. For quite some time there was artwork from McPhail, Von Franco, Picasso, and others on the front page and Ryan used them as click throughs to the main site. I saved them. My first real hard drive disaster claimed the lot.

I really don't remember when the HAMB came about. I just happened to see it in the nav bar one day. I never joined a BBS but always read them. Back then, the internet offered you a certain amount of anonymity. Not so much these days. I now know more people from the HAMB than any job or occupation I've ever had.

Although I was raised around hot rods and motorcycles, I'm not so sure I had the inspiration to build one. Would I be knee deep in this hobby now? I'm probably dating myself as a lurker, but who remembers the Bench Rodding section or the Featured Car? I'd love to see Bench Rodding make come back.

I genuinely think that this site is at the fore front of Hot Rodding in this day and age. As a subscriber to more magazines than I care to admit, I see the HAMB/TJJ referenced more and more these days.

And besides the obvious about the HAMB...
    The Friday Art Show? C'mon. Fantastic stuff.
    The Alliance? Man when I get my parts I'll give you a breakdown. You're crazy if you're buying stuff and not a member of this.
    Car events? Would we have as many without the HAMB? Would this resurgence in Hot Rodding be as big?

I had to wash my hands to eat a sandwich so now that lunch is over...back to the garage.

2. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I agree. This forum is amazing. Tons of info, help, tips and com"rod"ery. And it gets my laid! Not really, but I'll keep trying.

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

the grease and internet sandwich quote was what caught my attention way back when i found this place. didn't have much reason to do more than pop over from my oldsmobile sites once in awhile to check out the cool stuff until i got my diamond t, then i joined up. it became an addiction almost immediately and now, some of my best friends are from this place and it's the first place i go to when i need some help because i usually find it. it's good for laughs and relieving frustration as well and it's always a humbling experience coming on here and learning. it may be a little cheesy, but this place has changed my life...it fulfilled my love of things old and traditional. i've been told i was born 35 years too late and being born then would have put me at the right age in this traditional era that we all admire. the hamb also gives me a better appreciation for the little bit of the values and ideals that are left from that era.

thanks to ryan for the grease, didn't realize my sandwich was missing it!

4. Hey I remember bench rodding and feature cars. I have a pair of King Bee lights off an old JJ feature car on the shelf right now. Don't remember a lot about the car other than it was yellow and from back east.

The Alliance discount is the real deal. I saved a little over 200 bucks on the bushings for the stude front end.