Register now to get rid of these ads!

just starting my first rebuild 62 econoline

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by pogomatic, Jan 24, 2014.

1. pogomatic

pogomatic

Bought this 62 Econoline p/u, needs about everything, some rust but pretty solid all an all. Has the tailgate! Pulled the old 170 motor,it was shot, cut out the rusted bed, and removed the lead weight. Now I am pulling out dents, not many,mostly the front of the van.I have a ford 250 inline six with the auto transmission, not looking for speed, just a functional little p/u for around town. Looking to update the brakes to disc, rebuild the suspension, and steering. I see kits for the brakes,and folks who use salvage parts, not sure which way to go, so any advice is really welcome . thanks

2. fairlaneranch

fairlaneranch

save that weight! You will be doing stoppies all the time without it!

3. elba

elba

I am about finished with my P/U. Left my brakes drum and O/H the 170 engine. Cold air is slowing me down. Mine had rusty floors and many dents . No tailgate. They are hard to find. A good parts store will have most of your mechanical parts.

MACS and Dennis Carpender have parts. Bought a couple off of EBAY.

Attached Files:

4. pogomatic

pogomatic

Yes I have saved it, thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. pogomatic

pogomatic

Man your pics are super, wish the 170 in mine was still an option, saved the motor but not sure I can revive it,the transmission is missing, but your pictures really give me hopes for my Econoline. Thanks

6. pogomatic

pogomatic

Leaving the brakes drum? I live in the flatlands of Louisiana ,barely a hill, do you think drums are good for in city flat land driving?

7. elba

elba

I think the drums will be ok. They are pretty light and I won't be driving it that much. Just around town and to shows. I thought about discs bot I didn't want to spend the money. If I need them, they will go on later. By the way, I think the 67 had a dual master cylinder.
    Yahoo has a group for Econolines.