Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Just showing off my personal hubcap collection hope it's allowed.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kustomclassics, Jan 16, 2024.

1. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Some of my collection been collecting these for over 30 yrs and still get lucky enough to find more for very reasonable prices the first picture is some recent purchases. 20231024_223436.jpg Vikings.jpg

LCGarage, -Brent-, hrm2k and 36 others like this.
  2. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Made me "flip" out.....

3. Lets see a close up of the ones with the girl on 'em!

akoutlaw, Deuces, Budget36 and 7 others like this.
  4. ....Yes..:D;)

hrm2k, brady1929, Deuces and 3 others like this.

5. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

I actually have 3 sets of them 2 sets 15" and 1 set of 14" IMG_20220817_183519_233.jpg

LCGarage, Rocket88NZ, hrm2k and 19 others like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

You’re wife must be so proud!:D

7. That’s awesome , never seen nudie girl hubcaps before !!!

man if those where around when I was a kid I’d get arrested for naughty things in public .:p:D

duecesteve, hrm2k, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  8. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Funny story about the last set I picked up from someone in Louisiana he said his aunt had them on her I think he said 56 chevy and was told by the local pd to take them off back in I'm assuming the 60's.

hrm2k, OG lil E, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  9. 1941 Cadillac

1941 Cadillac

willing to sell any sets?

hrm2k likes this.
  10. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

1EC9A162-1F5C-4EC5-8200-1C227B336C4D.jpeg 6C33B7B6-EDA7-4A47-8F91-8752416B4315.jpeg I found a good use for the exterior of my shed. These are older pics, I have added several more.

11. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

12. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Sorry not right now

13. Anyone remember this place? Hubcap city on Rt. 30 in Pa. I liked stopping there on my way home from Nat's East. Rolls, and rolls of hubcaps. It was if they were growing them there.[​IMG]

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Back when I was a kid, 7/8 years old, I guess I had the car bug, as I collected hub caps! Back then they seemed everywhere, including ditches and dump grounds around the ranch. There was a huge ravine on the property North of the ranch and for years it was used by our local town for a dump. It was large enough to even roll cars off into it! I know for a fact at least one ‘55 Chevy is still there! I tore the page out of J.C. Whitney catalog that had the pictures of what hub caps fit what as my guide! They are still in a barn on the ranch, somewhere! lol

Bones

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice collection of hubcaps. I am sure those have been around for a while. But, in looking at your photo, most of those are re-pops or newly formatted flippers. They are not factory built hubcaps from any particular car from those old 1950-60 days. The 4 prong flipper units look like the old style original Dodge Lancer 4 prong units. To the uninitiated, they look the same. What traditional car did they come from, which factory and what year?
    upload_2024-3-1_10-35-56.png
    Some folks have used them on old cars and most would look at them and think dodge lancer 4 prong. so, there is that.

Jnaki

I used to be the young kid who searched the local newspapers and all of the hot rod style magazines for hubcaps for sale. My brother's older friends always had hubcap exchange Saturdays or Sundays at our old Westside of Long Beach house. My job was to move the cars into the driveway and install the hubcaps on various old cars.
    upload_2024-3-1_10-46-51.jpeg
    Now, those teens that were sitting around could see which hubcaps, 3 prong Olds, 4 prong Dodge Lancers, Chevy small and large caps, plus other hubcaps looked like on other old cars. There was even a set of Moon Discs that convinced my brother to buy a set for me to install on his 51 Olds Sedan. So, it was originally a gathering thing to do, but it did have a reason for all of the teens.
    upload_2024-3-1_10-56-55.png
    For some little kid who had to know how to install and take off carefully, all sorts of hubcaps this was a good start for my knowledge of new/old stuff. YRMV

LCGarage, Okie Pete, Rickybop and 3 others like this.
  16. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

I have 3 of these, would like to buy a 4th! Thanks.

Attached Files:

17. I'm probably going to add a 1948 Nash hubcap to my collection.

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one hanging on the rafters in my shop, but as I recall, it's flattened out pretty bad. I'll take a look and let you know - shoot me a PM and I'll reply with a pic.

Deuces likes this.
  19. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

I've never stated they were specific to anything but definitely not repops or newly formatted, if you can send me somewhere that I could purchase any of these newly formatted hubcaps I'd gladly buy all I can afford

49ratfink and Deuces like this.
  20. Darn right I do, Ron! about 10 miles from me. I bought trim rings and caps for SS Chevy wheels from them a while back. They had deals with the local yards to get caps when cars came in. The dad was on oxygen, the son had a bad leg, he and the daughter were shutting it down. Piles and piles of hub caps inside. Many had been stored in plastic bins. The bins had all but disintegrated, caps still stacked like dinner plates in the Titanic wreck. Spotted so many I recognized. But no one was buying the grocery getter mid '70's AMC etc stuff.

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I am not denigrating your collection. Just pointing out a fact that although they look historic and old, they may not be factory made by an automotive company, such as Chevy, Oldsmobile, or Dodge. Comparing the original Olds 3 prong flipper and the Dodge Lancer 4 prong hubcaps, we all know where they came from and which factory.

I have seen them on various old cars and they have been around. Use the Google search function for those and see your results

Jnaki

Here is one sample:
    https://hubcapmike.com/vintage-hubcaps/crossbar-wheel-covers/

upload_2024-3-2_2-51-34.png

22. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

long ago when I was working, i was doing a job in Maryland (cannot remember where), went to a junk yard. cars on one side of the road, trucks on the other. there was a barn with sides covered in wheelcovers. you could not look at it when the sun was shining.

23. Squablow

Squablow

I have a bunch, too. The old aftermarket ones are the best and hardest ones to find, a lot of them were chrome plated steel instead of stainless and tended to get rusty. But you know that whatever car they had been on, was at least a little bit custom. That's what makes them special.

24. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

25. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Okie Pete likes this.
  26. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Had a dozen full, unused. Lost most to poor storage ...

Okie Pete likes this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Looks like Moriarity’s back yard.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

30. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_2499.jpeg IMG_8047.jpeg I bought a mid 60’s Chevy panel van that a guy had used for a swap meet vehicle. He had lost his place to store it at . He opened the back doors and pulled out a couple items, shut the doors and told me the rest is all yours . Here was a pile of wheel covers in there . Nothing special but I sold the majority of them for a $1 apiece at a swap meet. I kept a few and hung up on the walls at the Den of Insanity.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024