Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just noticed this last night.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen Barrett, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Just finished reading this, a few comments .... with the relief work done and looks of the valve train I would like to know what cam is in this baby (your exist engine). If your new engine is all stock I wouldn't run the trips but look for a 2-2 and save the trips for something else. Looks like they may have nirodded the original repair and ya may still have a crack into the exhaust and explains the carbon build up.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. I thought this was the broken stud? 20191202_215515.jpg

1947knuck likes this.
  3. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I don't know about the cam. As you probably saw someone showed me how to measure it. All I was told was it was a 3/4 race cam. What ever that means. lol. It does look like the crack still reaches the valve. As far as carbon build up the carbs were defiantly set up wrong. Two of them blocked off. I think my new motor is stock but I'm not sure. It did have trips on it before I got it so that's why I say I don't know what's up with it. It also had some rare heads on it but the guy who sold it to me kept those. That's why it has the stock heads. I'm going to rebuild the carbs and see if I can set them up to work progressively. If I can't for some reason I'll look into running two. I don't plan on doing to many hole shots with it so as long as it's dependable I'll be happy. I'm really only tearing into the old motor for fun and to learn also to have a spare.

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  4. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

No that is silicone. That hole had a bolt instead of a stud and nut. It goes into the water jacket. Thats why there was silicone on it.

5. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Got to do a little more today. The motor is ready to pull out but I couldn't because of the rain. I need to pull my car half way out of the garage because there is a lip in front of the door and the engine hoist can't go over it. First sunny day I get it's out.

6. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Really considering making a new floor with removable panels. If I had them now I wouldn't have to pull my transmission too. Once I get the motor and tranny out I'm going to assess what it will take to do it. Winters here so I have all the time I need.

7. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I got the motor and transmission out today. IMG_1744.jpg

8. Yay winter :(

9. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I hear ya but I wouldn't want to have to do this during driving season. I have a bunch to do now. First see what I can do about my floors and second rebuild my carbs. I also have to work on some of my wiring. Mainly get rid of all the crimped connectors and solder good ones on. Some of the connections would have defiantly gave me trouble down the road.

1947knuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. It's good you found that out now then! What's the story on your block?

11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I'm not really going to mess with that right now. For now I'm going to run my new motor. At some point I'm going to take it apart and see if it's worth fixing. Once it's apart I'll bring it to a machine shop and see what they think.

1947knuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. I gotcha man, sounds good. Is your new flatty ready to go?

13. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

It's pretty much ready. Just have to attach the tranny and drop it in. I'm not sure if I want to use my old heads or get new ones. I'll figure that out when I get it in. I have to helicoil a couple plug holes on my old ones. Not a big deal. I just think I want something different. Maybe some cool vintage ones. Still mulling it over. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions.

1947knuck likes this.
  14. Let me check with one of my buddies, he's usually got some cool flathead stuff.

15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Tried to get some heads today from two different guys but they were both sold. One was a set of NOS Fentons and the other were also NOS Ford aluminum cheater heads. Trying to get something interesting without spending more than I got my engine for. lol.

1947knuck likes this.
  16. If Tim has any right now they'll be cheap. I'll see what all flatty stuff he has and let you know

17. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Cool! Thanks.

1947knuck likes this.
  18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

PATIENCE is key when you're looking for cool parts on a budget. Keep your ear to the ground and if you're going to stalk ePay, look for listings that end ON or near a holiday itself and set up an auction sniper on them. Folks are usually not paying as much attention.

19. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I did see some stuff on eBay but the ones I really wanted were on here. I'm not really in a rush plus I do still have my Offys. I did really like the Fentons though.

1947knuck and patmanta like this.
  20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Ebay had a set of cheater heads on there lately. Were new but may have had some oxidation on one of them.

A cheap price is relative. Henry's steel heads work and are cheap.

21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I saw two sets on eBay one for $450 and the other $700. I think I'm going to keep looking for something a little cooler. The cheater heads I missed out on were Ford which I liked but really wanted the NOS Fentons. I have a set of stock heads and some Offy's I'm still considering. I'm sure something will come along.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Wanted to pull off my transmission today but went home sick from work. Hopefully I can do it tomorrow or Monday. I want to clean it up so I can put some paint on it. I also have to pull the flywheel of the new motor so I can give it to the guy I sold the other transmission to. I'm hoping to assess what to do about getting rid of my wood floor. I'll keep everybody posted with pics.

1947knuck likes this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wood floors are traditional. They make good sound and heat insulators. Properly sealed they'll last for years.

24. Henry Ford used the plywood from the crates that his transmissions were shipped in to make his floorboards. IIRC once the vendor stopped shipping the transmissions in crates he told them that he would buy them from another vendor. They started putting them in crates again...

6-bangertim and upspirate like this.
  25. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

My floor has rug over it so it does look good but I've seen some amazing metal work done on some floors and I'm kind of envious. The main reason though is so when I pull my motor or transmission I don't have to pull both of them. I just want easier access. My firewall is so close I might be screwed. I know if there is a will there's a way but I have enough to keep me busy for now. I was also thinking about just using a hole saw right were the bolts are and putting removable covers. Just an idea.

26. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Got my transmission off today and got my new motor in position to put in. I brought home the tranny. Also my carbs and heads. The trans I plan on cleaning it up and putting a coat of paint on it. The carbs I'm getting ready to rebuild. The heads I need a couple Helicoils for the stripped spark plug holes then I plan on polishing them. Here is a few more pictures. Not much to look at I just want to have before and after pics. IMG_1771.jpg IMG_1772.jpg IMG_1773.jpg IMG_1774.jpg I also want to keep everybody updated with my progress. After Christmas I have to go get an engine stand so I can pull off the oil pans so I can take off the flywheels. Maybe if I'm lucky I can go to HF and get a stand tomorrow.

27. Hey man, i checked with Tim and all he has is some stock heads, i forgot to tell you. Shame you're so far away, there's 4 stands sitting out here empty :rolleyes:

28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks I appreciate you asking. I have a set of stock heads but I think for now I'm going to fix and polish up my Offys. No big deal on the stand they're pretty cheap and I needed one anyway. What I really need is an adapter so I can mount it to the engine stand from the exaust. I might have to make one. At least I have a couple header flanges I got with my motor that I can use. Maybe this will be a good time for me to learn how to weld. If not I can cut up the stock I need and have my buddy weld it up for me.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  29. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

So I'm wondering what people think of the mechanical fuel pumps over electric ones. I'm running an electric one that works well but I like the look of the old ones. Plus I have an old one on the engine doing nothing so I thought I might use it. What do you think?

1947knuck likes this.
  30. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I prefer the mechanical pumps, in my experience they are more reliable. Also the electric ones can have an annoying hum.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.