Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just how much of a pain would it be

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Camel City Skull, Mar 9, 2008.

1. To apply a gloss top coat to a dash INSTALLED in a chopped custom?

I would rather just prime it and install, then much later worry about getting the final top coat and body color on there, Is it pretty doable to get decent final coat results in that confined space?

2. Big issue with overspray. You end up having to mask all the upholstery, the headliner, the floor, all the knobs and switches, the steering wheel, the radio----and on---and on----I've done it, but you want to set an entire day aside for the job.

3. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

It can be done....but tricky to avoid DUST and get all the gun angles you need for correct coverage with fancier paints....but if its removable, just pull it out again later.

4. guiseart

guiseart

...yeah. tricky but do-able.

5. I did a complete colour change on a 53 Ford two door one time. Took all the window garnishes out and painted them on sawhorses, painted the dash in the car, and re-upholstered the seats (Pep-boy seatcovers). This was in the sixties, and window tint was all the new rage, so I got about 4 cans of dark blue spray on window tint and "tinted" all the windows. It turned out so good, I used what was left over and tinted the headlights to match. (well, it was the sixties, and I was young----). The car looked absolutely bitchin, but about the third time I drove it to town, the cops stopped me. The cop had a big grin on his face, told me what a "cool" looking car I had, then told me about how it was "kinda against the law to tint your headlights"---Well Duhhhh!!! He never even mentioned the tinted windows. I had to go home, get some paint thinners and wipe the headlights clean. (thankfully, that "window tint in a can" would wash right off with paint thinners). Then I had to take the car down to the cop shop and show Mr. Policeman that I had "untinted" my headlights. Never did get a ticket, but I'm sure the cop and his buddies had a laugh!!!