Register now to get rid of these ads!

just got some new ponchos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnsettledParadox, Apr 2, 2010.

1. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

the guy i got it from is a car dealer so he handled all the transferring and all that on site. its in my name with current registration and brand new plates for $1700 cash!!! its a 55 with a 56 front clip

its a 287 v8 but it has a 4 spd from a truck so it has a granny low and all the equipment for air assist trailer brakes! the rear is factory leaf spring but coil over shocks were installed for overload. purrs like a kitten and drives like a champ!!

only real problem besides the interior needing some TLC is the hooks and crap they put on the body to haul shit and the rear tail lights were busted out as well as some of the glass. my cousin has 1 piece of the wrap around glass and possible the front door glass. tail lights are cheap enough for re-manufactured ones.

got it home at around 8pm the other night. smelled gas this morning and saw a puddle. all the gas leaked out that i put in yesterday. gonna drop the tank and see whats going on. also noticed a little fluid on the right rear backing plate, pulled the tire and its just the axle seal, thats easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im really wanting to go original with it, 2 tone with some pastel 50's colors. found this car as inspiration the other day...

[​IMG]

i also think it would be damn cool to have a teardrop trailer on the back haha, but thats just a fantasy right now

2. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

also, my dads got a 56 pontiac and we went to pick up another 55 yesterday. its a pretty straight, nice car for $1500, running and driving

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is his 56
    [​IMG]

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

that thing is cool!!!!!

4. Very cool!

Around here a few locals call us Pontiac owners the "Dark Side" of GM.

5. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

im in love. had to sell a few things to afford all i want to do with it but i dont regret a single thing. its been raining since i got it and i dont have room for it int he garage so ive been sneaking out to turn a wrench. im hooked, i love the car

6. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

hey bryon welcome to the family, im just glad im still the only 55 with the light up hood orinament, i was gonna come over today but then the rain started

7. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

yeah tell me about it man, im dying. you gotta see that 55 2dr in person. its one hell of a straight ride for 1500. someone years ago painted over everything in house paint, emblems and such and it actually preserved em!!

8. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

sweet whats dave gonna do with it? i could use a couple of parts

9. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

he was gonna strip it for parts but its too damn nice so its getting put on the road and we're gonna put some work into it so he can cruise it while he rebuilds the motor for the 56 and then after he may flip it for cash, i dunno

10. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Great Looking Wagon!!! You say re-pop tail light lenses are available?.... I haven't been able to find the Wagon lenses at all. I buy them used whenever I have the chance. I know you can get the reverse light lenses but not the stop lenses. I like the inspiration pic also. Heres a couple pics of my '56 in the works. Keep us posted on the wagon build..

Attached Files:

11. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

i want the radio plate and i need the rear side trim mine are broke and bent so i was gonna see what he would want for that stuff

12. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

looking at it me and bryon where thinking there the same as the cars?

13. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Nope. The lenses for the wagon are smaller than the car and safari. Lense numbers are R2a-55 for the wagon and R2-55 are the passenger car and safari. I finally found another spare housing and lense set and another set of lenses just in case. You can find them on egay but get pretty pricey!!

14. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

from the looks of it the tail lights seem to be the same as the cars but im not 100%. if this rain lets up i could test the theory since theres 3 of these cars within a stones throw.

i was told by a few people that you can get 55-56 pontiac lenses reproduction for around $30 but i havent found them yet. i looked in kanter, none. heard AMES had some, i cant find any online. california pontiac restoration, i was told also has them but i set my book down somewhere and cant find it :mad:

15. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

haha i have my cpr book rite here if you wanna barrow it, ill look rite now for you, do you have the kids rite now?

16. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

you are right, i found them though but for the wagons we're outta luck. looks like its time to modify!!

http://www.pontiacparts.net/Electrical/default.htm

yeah jay, ive got darla

17. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

no wagon lenses, it says our car lenses do not fit the wagons

18. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

lets put some cad lenes in there then

19. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

thats a beautiful wagon you have there! i like your paint scheme. i gotta get out some tape and play with mine so i can decide how i want it

20. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

I know that if you saw the base off of one of these mugs they fit in the taillight mount...and then, that a '59 caddy light fit inside of the hole.:D

Attached Files:

21. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Geeez, what a disappointment!
    I thought maybe you had found a stash of those plastic rain covers.
    8^)

22. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

hahahaha

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

Nice wagon. Mines a 56 with a 55 nose.

[​IMG]

24. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

If you mean mine thanks, it's just a temporary rattle can job. We were trying to figure out a nice break for the colors and wanted to test what some "stock" color would look like. Here's one more shot of it and something that my brother would like to see as a finished product!

Attached Files:

25. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

yup, i did mean yours! i love that 56 with the 55 front too, id like to get some 56 chrome for mine eventually.

hey jay, break out the tools....guess we gotta put caddy lights in lol

26. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

works for me get that tank out so i can weld it, so its drivable, then ill come over and well have some fun

27. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I just knew somebody would come up with the raincoat reference! I was going to ask if it was a Sears Poncho due to my love for Frank Zappa music! Nice score. And from the way I hear it I was brought home from the hospital in a 56 Chieftain.

28. JoeB

JoeB

Nice find! I can also confirm that the wagon lenses are not the same as cars and Safaris. They are not reproduced. I found some wagon lenses on egay, but it took some time to find some that I could afford. I was running '62 Chevy lenses for a while - they fit good enough.

Can I get in line for the radio and heater delete plates! Didn't that green sedan have an extra rebuilt 3 speed trans with it? I could use that too! PM me when/if you decide to get rid of any extra parts! I have a complete 56 Safari chassis & cowl with 316 4bbl/hydro for parts if you need anything.

Joe B

Attached Files:

29. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

thanks for the idea about the chevy lenses. yeah, thats the very same green sedan. just couldnt pass on it! ill keep you guys posted

30. i have a 55' 2rd wgn. and no tailights at all,:( i'm gonna run 55' chevy ones because finding stock units are pricey and then you have to recrome them. ouch!:eek: