Register now to get rid of these ads!

just got my own garage!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by makgreens, May 8, 2009.

1. makgreens

makgreens

so ive never had a garage of my own until tonight
    the crew just finished the pre fabbed garage in the backyard[​IMG]
    and on a concrete slab poured by a neighboor

its 18x21 and perfect for me i think
    i moved in my tiny toolbox and aircompressor....but have to wait for the ground to dry to move my project car back there

how did you guys make your garage your "own" when ya first moved in?

bad news is its supposed to storm tomorrow...which means moving more stuff into the garage will be slowed down

what are the first must's i should do?

sorry if this is a dumb thread or it makes no sense.....im just so excited i cant contain myself:D

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Take a nice blanket... the wife... a good bottle of champaign.... and christen it properly!

Cool deal man! I can't wait to get moved over the next month or two so I can get my own garage setup!

3. well i could tell ya but the wife wouldnt dig it! congrats man!! we want pics when you think your finished..:D

4. Congrats! Enjoy it. I finally have my dream garage and I used Goztriders method of making it my own......but with out the champaign!:eek::D

5. smokindave

smokindave

I can't imaging not having a garage! Enjoy it though. The first thing I did to make it mine is throw a bunch of shit in there (bike and car parts) and I have been cleaning it out for 2 years now. I wouldn't suggest going that route.

6. Truer words were never spoken!! I was grabbing everything they threw out at work and I cluttered up the shop in short order. I had to have an intervention! I got it pretty well straightened up now. Just have to keep it that way!

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Fill it up with junk that you like.

8. makgreens

makgreens

well i did that at my buddys garage.....so ive downsized my junk and now it looks like i have nothing...thatll change when the car gets in there...
    but yall better believe there will be some junk in there too:D

9. Get the electrical and insulation if you need it in Tennesee. Then figure out your storage so it doesn't get out of hand too quickly.

10. makgreens

makgreens

electricity is the next thing coming...then some sort of insulation and pegboard!

11. dentprone

dentprone

12. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

build a workbench,(and use screws not nails)4x4 uprights,2x4 frame,plywood top,mount a vise on it,dont make it to deep,18" will work,then run your elec.and air lines,i did mine so i could put plywood doors on it and have hidden storage underneath,put a shelf inside that will allow a knudson crate to slide under it and now you can slide the knudson crates in under the shelf

13. Ruiner

Ruiner

Another tip is to build 2x4 and plywood shelving around the walls without the garage door, make it just far enough below the ceiling that rubbermaid tubs or milk crates barely fit...it's the best storage system ever, it's cheap, and uses no floor space...

14. Ruiner

Ruiner

And congrats on having your 1st garage! One more tip is buy as many light sockets that you can and put them everywhere...those screw in flourescent light bulbs keep the electricity bill down, and are bright as hell...

15. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I already "cristened" your garage for ya.....dont worry about it :)

16. elrobo818

elrobo818

wish i had my own garage... :/

17. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Who's Cristen?:rolleyes:

18. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Ohhhh so sorry wordsmith rodgers....

I'm sure you've NEVER hadda typo before....

you may be an alliance member but you still only been here 10 min or so....

19. 56truk

56truk
    from piqua,ohio

Congrat's on the new garage! Enjoy it before it becomes a storage bin (junk), like mine!

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Go ahead and catch something on fire, drop something on your foot, smash your fingers, cut yourself open, throw a wrench at the wall, lose some tools, make a weird smell appear, put some snakes & spiders in there, and I think you've pretty much covered the first time for everything.

21. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Yeah I agree. Storage/Shelving goes a long way. Here's my shop on a "clean" day. It's usually hard to walk through it.

[​IMG]

And here's our old shop that I shared with a friend on a "clean" day...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. whid

whid

congrats,finaly got mine a few years ago.its a good feeling.i agree with some of the others,workbench and storage.and its never your own until you storm out of the house pissed at the ol lady go to the garage and slam the door.then its your own................dave

23. PRoz

PRoz

Walk outside and around the back corner and figure out where you can stand and take a piss and not get seen by the neighbors.

24. A mans garage is his castle

25. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

if you dont epoxy coat the floor , go ahead and poor a half a qt. of oil on the floor . that way you get the hurt over right off the bat of your first oil spill on that fresh floor . shelv's are a must . radio a must . heres a trick on a pisser . a funnel hanging in the corner with the hose going out through the wall . i built mine a few years ago but am just now getting to make it mine and useable . i made the huge mistake of filling it with junk until i got the house built . now im getting the felling of having one . mine is 24x36 . 3 doors on the front . had my old f100 n it and the rest unuseable . now i got the f100 , the fairlane , and this weekend i should be getting the 48 sedan in there . at last its looking like its sposed to .

congrats , enjoy it , dont give the old lady a key . no phone line . leave your cell phone in your house .

26. 73RR

73RR

Torchmann has some really good ideas, including the often overlooked part about sealing the concrete. If it is not sealed then it will start 'dusting' as soon as it gets dry. IMO, the best stuff on the market is from L&M Construction Chemicals, either Aquapel-Plus or Seal Hard. This is not some cheap crap like the hardware store sells. I got mine through United Rentals.
    http://www.lmcc.com/products/

27. When I bought my house the first thing I did was strip down my "driver" pontiac project. Then among car stuff and tools, various assorted house junk filled in the rest of the space of my 2.5 car garage. It's been awhile since i've seen my pontiac. boy do I miss that car...
    If I can recommend anything, It would be to build or buy sheds for extra storage to keep stuff out of the garage.

28. Build an even bigger garage to store stuff that wont fit in your new garage. Trust me, it happens overnight!!!! I am on my 4th outbuilding!!!!

29. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

BAAAAAD IDEA!!!!

Just ask Toast here on the HAMB!