Register now to get rid of these ads!

just got my Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edgeabilly, Oct 31, 2007.

1. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Should I be able to turn the fan easy by hand or should we have a little more trouble? It's a 53 out of a New Yorker 331. Could I have a compression issue? The guy I bought it from said it ran when pulled 6 m Ago...:confused:

2. George

George

Put a socket on the crank bolt, but be carefull. You might want to put a little Mystery Oil in the cylendars & let the rings soak a little.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are the belts around the fan pulley? I assume the fan is mounted off the stock water pump, right?

EDIT: What George said! :D

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH yeah! No PICTURES?? JEESH!! ;)

5. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Take the belt off and it should spin, never had much success turning motor with the fan. Remove the spark plugs and use a wrench on harmonic balancer bolt. Don't force if no turn drop some oil in cylinders and try again.

6. The fan has a clutch, that's why you can turn it, right?

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If your turning the crank with a breaker bar and socket you should feel resistance 4 times every revolution and a corresponding sound of compression leaking off due to air being forced past the rings. The older the engine (more miles) the less this effect will be (a new engine will have definite heavy resistance to turning while it is being turned over and a more pronounced sound of air escaping).

Frank.

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

If that fan is anything like the one I've got torn down, then it's just attached to the water pump and the fan will spin.

Attach a socket/breaker to the crank, put your ass into it and see if it will give a go. I like to rotate mine backwards if it won't go forward. Gives me an idea of how screwed I've just become.:rolleyes:

Could be rusted up if it sat with no air cleaner. Something that old, I'd rebuild anyways, so why not just tear it down?

Don't smack your face on it. It don't feel good and scars aren't really that attractive.:D

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

A fan clutch on an Early Hemi???? None I ever saw.

Anyways -YES you ought to be able to turn the motor over with the fan - I've done it a zillion times. However the belt will tend to slip so you will need to squeeze it together (between pulleys) to make it grip better. It's not necessarily the easiest thing to do and I sure wouldn't want to have to do it very long, but yeah It'll work.

A big socket would be a heck of a lot easier though.

If it's "stuck" a little patience is better than a whole bunch of leverage - IMHO

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ahh yuck! I've NEVER had good luck with this. I've always ended up damaging myself before getting a good idea of the engine condition.

Little hands are best suited for other things.:D

11. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

The crank is attached to the fan with a belt.
    The crank turns with ease I feel no compression.

12. silent rick

silent rick

are the plugs removed?

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

My first motor didn't have a crank bolt and my socket set wasn't very big at the time so even if it did it still wouldn't have helped me much. We learned to work with what we had. Those Big Hemi Fans gave us LOTS of leverage!!!!!:D

I've been told I have big hands - maybe that helped too.

You know what they say about big hands right???

Yeah you guessed it - Big Feet too :0

14. maxspeedracing

maxspeedracing

Now you know how to sell a Hemi!

Just tell them it was running before you pulled it out.

Seriously, get a bunch of plastic bags, and rip it apart. Start with the block. Take it to a machine shop. If they think it has a chance, they will call you in a couple of days.

What you want is an over bore, a line bore, and decked. Completely cleaned, and new cam bearing put in. Spray it with a good coat of vegitable oil, and wrap in a big plastic bag. Set it over in a corner.

Now do the heads, etc, etc.

About a year later you will have assembly day.

15. You could probably pull the plugs and use a compression tester to check the compression, if it has a starter on it, even though it's not in a car. I've seen them test fire loose engines in the junkyard before - they'll jump around, it's not recommended proceedure (the guys doing it told me, "you didn't see this") ... with the plugs all out it should be less prone to moving, but I'd brace it in place if it's on an engine stand or better yet set it on the ground on an empty tire first.

Normally there should be some resistance when turning it by the fan, even my old Hudson which is a low compression motor you can feel when it's compressing air as you turn it by the fan. But you do have to push on the fan belt to get it to turn the crank too.