Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just Got a 49 Chevy. Need Some Inspiration.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OrDizzO86, Apr 25, 2017.

1. OrDizzO86

OrDizzO86

I picked up this 49 Chevy for my first family hot rod. I plan to, over time, make it a really sweet mild custom. I am going to get in running right and dependable first. but what i am looking for in some inspiration of other Chevy customs. Mostly interiors and paint. anything you got would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 49.jpg
      49.jpg
      File size:
      123.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Welcome to the Hamb and it looks like you have a good car to start with. Tim

3. Squablow

Squablow

This is my girlfriend's '51 when she first got it, next pic is a photoshop done of the planned paint job based on that picture, and third is of the car at it's first car show. The Photoshop work really helped a ton, you can post your car in the Photoshop thread and they will help you pick colors and wheels and trim and all that. It's a great way to visualize changes before you commit to it.

IMG_20130818_193123.jpg
    6darktopoverbottom.jpg

symco14.jpg

4. OrDizzO86

OrDizzO86

Thanks man. It's all there and in pretty good shape. I am really pumped to have something to haul the family to car shows in.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Squablow

Squablow

And here's a bunch of period custom Chevy pictures we had looked at to take ideas from, the first being the most similar to her car in the end.

april 59.jpg

prattrear.jpg
    spotlight placement.jpg

greenie2.jpg
    2black.jpg
    gilalayacustomhoodornament.jpg

wicarnut, kiwijeff and Sancho like this.
  6. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

MyCrustyVW and Max Gearhead like this.
  7. Although these are different body styles, look how simple they are. Removal of handles/emblems, maybe some side trim, frenched lights, and ride height...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and 302GMC like this.
  8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice car to start with! Good luck with your project.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The good thing about the 49-52 cars, is no matter what style you go with, they look good. Lo-Rider or up high Gasser, it really does't matter. Our 51 Bus Coupe was build as a "street Gasser"; my nephew and I did virtually all the work. I had given him the car, and after he lost interest in the car due to starting his own CNC Aerospace Machine Shop, he gave it back. I had to sell it, or one of my other projects; since it needed the most work, it was sold. I've regretted having to do that. How is the car currently set up, V-8 or six, manual or transamatic automission, etc? Personally, I prefer the factory type colors, and keeping things simple. One of the first things I'd do, is convert to a one piece windshield. That alone changes the entire "personality" of these cars. There are a bunch of builds here on the HAMB to draw ideas from. Welcome to the "ward". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    gsnort likes this.
  10. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Well how about these gems for inspiration ...
    The Marcia Cambell (white) and later Carl Abajian -49 Chevrolet(dark) is my favorite
    upload_2017-4-26_12-50-40.png

upload_2017-4-26_12-51-5.png

Dan Landons also Barris built is an icon with its shaved and molded body
    upload_2017-4-26_13-1-17.png

upload_2017-4-26_13-5-58.png

Wolf

Squablow and Sancho like this.
  11. orDizzO86 . She looks like a good start. Good luck with her and keep us up dated on her..Thanks. Bruce.

12. Torchie

Torchie

You can see from the previous posts this car is a perfect platform for many styles of builds. Wild to mild.
    Squablow's girlfriends is a perfect example of less is more. Some altering of the stance. A added trim line and some tu-tone paint.
    How much you do is dependent on. 1. How much it costs and. 2. How much of it you can do yourself.(See number 1 ):)
    These cars can look great without a chop. I'm surprised no one posted a pick of Watsons "Grapevine"
    It's a 1950 but the same body style. Good luck and have fun.
    Torchie 9e3fe64c86e307858071b6c573ee1d48.jpg

Squablow and Sancho like this.
  13. PeggySue

PeggySue

This is a 1950. This past winter install new wire harness, front disc brakes, all new brake lines, dual master cylinder, 7" booster, new carpet

Attached Files:

14. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I prefer the split windshield. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

15. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is indeed a beauty. Thanks for the excellent pictures. I didn't know about the Photo Shop. Thanks also for that information.

16. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

17. OneBad56

OneBad56

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Good looking little coupe. My very first car at 14 was a 49 two door sedan, in my opinion the sedan roof line is to big and bulky but the car you have has some nice lines. Good luck on your project.

20. OrDizzO86

OrDizzO86

thanks guys. this really helps out a lot. the wife likes blue so i think i am going to go with a satin blue on the bottom and a white on top. then get some pin striping done. Found a bench seat to put in it and we will use some good old Mexican blankets for now for interior. i will keep you updated.

Squablow likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

Really glad to hear that those late model buckets are on the way out, that'd be my first change as well.

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So whats in it for power? Sure has a nice stance.

23. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

IMG_0031.JPG

Attached Files:

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I love the 49 through 51 Chevrolet and the 51 Business Coupe is my favorite.

I am not a fan of lower is better with these cars and never have been.
    Remove a little bit of chrome and go for a real smooth look with the color of your choice.
    Also whatever you do not cut out the rear fender wells just leave that classic look along.

Engine I would go with a crate engine that runs on pump gas with an automatic transmission and for wheels I like the Appliance Plating wheels.

I would just leave the normal ride height along. The photo below is my old 51
    Just my opinion Jimbo

Chevrolet 1951 Coupe.jpg

25. fordflambe

fordflambe

A couple of ideas on my hardtop........... 1952 Belair (24).JPG 1952 Belair (20).jpg

Olds one piece windshield and 55 Chevy Dash in a 52?