Register now to get rid of these ads!

just found a one owner merc:D

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotdamn, Jun 24, 2011.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Its a death blow to me,not the engine, yes they can be repaired but I am afraid I dont have much faith in a flathead period never mind a repaired one. The car is nice enough that it should have a flathead that is why I am trying to sell it . If it does not sell soon I will take the overhead V-8 route.

2. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

hotdamn you are always stirring the pot:) I get the point of the thread. The old pics are cool!

3. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn 90ssp, where you been mang?

hows that section coming???

and for the record I stirred no pot, if anything I was trying to slow everyone elses stir down!!! :D

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

I understand, very different but similarly, I had a bug that I had the engine rebuilt in 4 times in one year, loved pre 66 vw's prior to that point.

I am over them now...

If you have a machine shop worth a hoot up there, I would pull it fix it and move on. most people want to buy something thats already done mechanically.

Another lesson I learned the hard way :D

5. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

been working like crazy...ughhh. Anyway the section is going good! I've been working on putting the ford 9in rear in before I go any farther on the section so I can roll it around. Also I've been battling back and forth on how to graft in those chrysler tail lights I got from ya. They are really going to make the car I think.

6. hotdamn

hotdamn

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't internalize my post too much hotdamn. It was more of an open reply. I'm sure you also get sick of the B-J flaming that happens and it's moot references when trying to sort shit out. It is a 1950 1 owner Merc cpe. It does look 100% complete (very important and has added value). I also believe a fair offer would probably be accepted if given in earnest. If I were in the market for one of those and this turned up, anything under $10K is a fair deal that borders on pretty good. How many do we see all mucked up with guys thinkin they got the next best thing to the Hirohata?

8. My range would swing quite a bit depending on the sheetmetal. If it needed floors, rockers, trunk, it all adds up.

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

id go for the 8K mark. the interior is dusty and rough but its fixable. it looks pretty solid and everything that appears to be wrong appears to be an easy fix. pretty awsome car right there

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it really depends on what a person wants to do with the car. that's a car for a restorer, with all the parts still attached. if a person was looking to build a custom with a later drivetrain they'd be paying for a bunch of parts they do not need.

that could be original paint there... if so to anyone who has a brain original paint is a bonus, since that means it has all the original dents and rust as well... no shitty repairs by Bondo Bob.

original owner ads to the value as well.

If I had that for sale I'd be asking the same. I would not be interested in the naysayers who cry "Barret Jackson" or giving someone I don't know a deal. I've sold a few cars in my day, and have heard the shitty comments from idiots about my price being too high. not sure what makes people think I'm interested in what they think they were worth.

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sold my brothers 49 convert. a couple of years ago for 40K. If you want to play with the popular cars you'll have to pay the price.

Attached Files:

12. plan9

plan9

Quickest way to never own that Merc is low ball.. I have no idea where some people are coming up with their prices? $5-$6000.00 for a 2dr. Mercury that isnt a shell? Wtf are they smoking? Obviously make a FAIR offer.. but be prepared to pay their price... they have had it since new, Im sure they wont have a problem waiting for the right buyer.

Some more perspective... find another 2 door Merc in your area for under $12k in the same condition that hasn't gone through multiple hands, where each owner screws things up more than the next until it is completely unusable.

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

$12K is crazy high. Speaking of BJ-- there was a PRISTINE stock '51 Merc sold not long ago on BJ for like $32 or $33K. I forget the city, but it was the first car on the block on that show.

For $12K I'd expect at least a runner.

Educate the seller. When I bought mine I had to work with the seller for 6 months to bring him down 8 grand. He just needed a reality check.

14. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Awesome pice of the hubby and wife with their Merc. Potentially an awesome project for someone, for whatever price (hopefully for much less than the $12k that he thinks it's worth). Thanks for sharing the pics.

15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Our currency might be stronger, but we earn less of it, so a dollar is the same to us too. My shop rate is 21 Euros an hour (about $30) and gas costs $9/gallon here so the first hour pays the gas to get to work!

When I buy a $12.000 car I have to add about $4000 for shipping, makes $16000.

Add 10% import duty (22% for trucks!) makes $17600. Then add 19% sales tax on top of all that. Makes $19.040 if I were to buy that car now and had it shipped to my shop.

Plus all the parts cost double by the time they're shipped over and often takes weeks til they're here.

Nevertheless we do about 12 to 15 nut and bolt restorations here every year, mostly Mustangs, Gen 1 Camaros but all sorts really, replacing up to 80% of the car. Our body man spends months on some cars just on the body.

Don't think we're to blame in any way buddy ;-)

Time moves on. It's a 50 Merc. It's only 18 years younger than a '32 Ford. Were '32 Fords cheap 18 years ago? Nope.

Ed

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

you dudes on the left coast gotta remember, a car that spent its first 20 to 30 years in the Baltimore snow is damn lucky to not be a toaster these days.

have ya'll ever seen what salt can do to a car:D

anyways, I will stand corrected on Europeans making out like bandits but you guys have to admit ya'll normally pay top dollar for stuff.

and Ed I see some of your point and honestly I agree with a lot of you about the majority of things, I was waaaay more interested in posting pics of the guy and his ol lady than I was a pissing match about price:D

but I will say I have seen a solid 5w 32 body sell for 20k, never seen any one spend 20k on a merc body...

I am sure some one has, I just haven't witnessed it:D

and I also agree that this car would be a good candidate for a restore. Even if its roached out underneath just due to the history of it.

either way, lets squash this shall we?

some of us have deep pockets, some dont, some are just cheap while others just talk.

either way we are all hamb brethren so lets play nice:D

17. hotdamn

hotdamn

wow I apparently smile waaay too much...

18. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I agree I'd prefer to see this one restored than sledded. Plenty of rough incomplete ones to sled, but this one just seems to deserve to be restored. One of our customers has a restored one with a SBC. No working around classic cars all day you do tend to get pretty blasé especially about post war cars, but everytime that's in the shop I stop by to admire it and thank God (or was it Gregory?) for designing that beauty.
    BTW. I've never seen a Merc Sled I prefer over stock.

Ed

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

20. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Am I the only one that can not find anywhere in this thread that HOTDAMN said I want to buy this car?All he said was the owner want 12gs and here are some cool pics.

21. Top restored Corvettes and cars like that are being shipped back to the States for years because they are worth more in the USA and will not bring the top dollars/euros spent on it. It's a game and it's all about the money and believe me the change of finding a 49-51 Merc in Europe let alone in the condition you found it is smaller than winning the lotto.:(
    I had a 49 Merc coupe 12 years ago from Chili and it was a basket case
    only because there were no other similar cars available, if i had the money and it was in Europe i would have bought your find for 12K. :D

22. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Nope! I'm right there with ya dirtyEd!
    Pretty funny stuff!