Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Just flew Back from SEMA...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Bugguts

Bugguts

I went again this year again after a 11 year hiatus. I was overwhelmed with all the stuff going on. I really felt like I had missed the current aftermarket culture as I thought there were way more lifted trucks and Jeeps than hot rods. I hardly took any pictures, but did take ones of those already shown.
    Did 2 1/2 days of full walking and surely only made 1/2 of the show I think. It was worth every step and plan to go again in a few more years.
    Funny thing, as we were walking into the event, my wife looks at me and asks if I was excited. I answered, of course, this is my kind of people!

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-8-14_4-28-48.png
    Hello,

Nice story on the trials and tribulations of the SEMA. The organization has been around for what seems like a zillion years. It was put together from the big names in hot rod parts and manufacturing businesses from back in those early days. (Isky, Edlebrock, Hilborn, etc. )

Does anyone have access to the original SEMA dealer list from back in the beginning? It was open to all speed shops and engine builders. Speed Equipment Manufacturer’s Association (SEMA) was the name of the original SEMA GROUP. Over the years, it seemed like it was growing fast enough to include more automotive groups besides, not just the hot rod speed shops and manufacturers.

"It all began in 1963 when a group of small manufacturers who were suppliers of performance equipment for early hot rods organized their fledgling industry and called it "Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association" (SEMA).

"The mission was practical and straightforward: develop uniform standards for certain products used in motor sports competition; promote the industry as a supplier to consumers involved in constructive activities of recreational and hobbyist value; develop programs to encourage improved business practices among member companies; and hold regular meetings to achieve unity as a business organization. In those days, all of the members were founders of companies that produced speed equipment exclusively (hence, the organization’s title)."

"At the outset, the pioneering companies operated free of the constraints that come from governmental regulations and their attending restrictions. They were as aggressive and progressive as their imaginations would allow, and the mostly small businesses flourished."

Now, it has grown so big with the most recent name change to “Specialty Equipment Market Association” the original concept has been expanded to include most everyone/everything in the automotive circles. The huge show is so encompassing that it shows everyone how the association has grown. Also, how involved in almost every aspect of hot rods and general automobiles of all kinds, they have become.

Jnaki

Since we had already started our engine building business when we were building our first 671 SBC Willys coupe, we were invited to join the original SEMA. We were a little overwhelmed at the thought and just sent in some information on our background and services. Somehow, we were on a SEMA list that was given out to most sales people in the business, warehouse reps and jobbers.

So, if anyone has access or actually has the ORIGINAL ,SEMA DEALER/SPEED SHOP/BUILDERS LIST, please let me know or post it here on the HAMB. We recieved a copy of that list, but over time, it went away to hot rod heaven somewhere. We had started our side business in 1960, but joined the SEMA list for privileges for getting “dealer costs” at speed parts pricing when they started a few years later.

We already had a business license and tax number, so discounts were given to our purchases. But, the association with SEMA was an advantage with other bigger name brands if we decided to go that way.

We stopped the involvement with a “no longer in business” letter in 1965, because more and more sales people were coming to our Westside Long Beach house surprising our mom. She had no idea who these people were coming to her door, when we were away. When we explained who those people were, she wanted us to stop all involvement in the hot rods and speed parts business.

So, who has access to that elusive, ORIGINAL , SEMA DEALER/SPEED SHOP/BUILDER’S LIST FROM THE VERY BEGINNING ?