Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Just drove 2400 miles in 2 days for an old kustom (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatty mcguire, Sep 23, 2012.

1. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

I made a post earlier on this car about finding history, but decided to just go for it and drove from North Jersey to Omaha Nebraska and back in 2days non stop except for gas/food thanks to my brother (thesupersized) and my uncle. The car is a 1958 corvette and as you can see its been heavily modified and too top it off to the corvette lovers its a factory 283 fuel injection 4 speed posi rear car, although I wish the motor was still there but it's is long gone unfortunately . I'm still working on trying to get more history on it but, I know the kustom work started in 1958 when the car was brand new and continued though the early 60's. My plans for now is to get it on the road ( doesn't need too much) but although the seats are pretty nice as is, but I want to eventually do the interior white and gold how it was and depends how well the body buffs out I may put some gold scallops on it to hide some blemish's. YES! the wheels n tires and steering wheel have to go! I plan on replacing it with chrome reverse wheels with white wall tires in the front and maybe white wall slicks in the back

Was hoping to take more pics of the road trip for the most part there was 1200 miles of this
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I can't say I'm totally in love with it.. But I don't hate it either.. :confused:

3. It's bad ass! Chrome wheels and narrow whitewalls will really set it off.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I love it for the obvious history and if it were mine, I'd put it back like it was. Then, I'd cruise it the first all Vette show and watch the "Vette Guys" hurl chunks.:D I hate "Vette Guys". Not guys that own Vettes, those OTHER Vette Guys.;)

5. williebill

williebill

That's cool as HELL... That car BELONGS in Jersey... Good for you going to get it..

6. Lurk king

Lurk king

I think it f'ing rules.
    See one stock vette see em all. This one is a real individual.

7. WILD MAN.....Just wild.
    Reminds me of the styling of the Trendero for some reason.

8. Cool car. I'd drive the wheels off of it... That '64 in the background gave me a lil tingle too. My first '64 was a yellow / black interior SS.

9. desotot

desotot

cool score! the wheels and tires are obviously wrong but thats an easy fix, that car is,,,zany!

10. koolkat269

koolkat269

Are you talking about the same ones that drive their new vettes to cruises and shows and think they are awesome? :rolleyes:

11. jerseymike

jerseymike

was wondering if you were going to buy it or not. great score! don't care for vettes a all but that rules. can't wait to see it.

12. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

The paint looks good from here.

Plus he spent $600 in chrome!!!

13. Wow...I've lived in Omaha since 1980 and never seen that car

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Nice score, Mike....I still got that roll of fiberglass matte!

15. Chrome reverse, pinner whites, an Impala wheel and roll that bad boy.

Nice...

16. outlaw256

outlaw256

id kinda like it and i kinda dont. that taillite dont do it for me. just dont look right on a vette.but hey.im not a custom guy anyway..lol

17. I am with you friend, and if no one else understands the difference between vette guys and guys that own vettes I understand. If you look up hemroid in the dictionary you will find a guy with a silk jacket with crossed flags and those silly little european driving gloves standing next to a stone stock '88 Corvette, uh a pink one.

Absolutey correct even though it is not perfect in my mind it has history and I would do the same put it back the way it was and cruise it to the next Corvette show.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cool Vette, drive it and enjoy it!

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

nice score,,,,,, a custom with history, you can't beat that. very cool that you have the old pics for reference, ,that should make it much easier to bring it back to the way it was.how'd you find it? was it on ebay? i think it's way cool...

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's funny... I typically don't like "ugly" customs regardless of their heritage. However, this little car does it for me for some reason. Considering it's a corvette, it's very punk rock - if that makes sense.

21. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Thanks Jim, but thats another cool part because I found it by mistake, I was on craiglist and typed in 1958 impala and then saw and add titled kustom corvette so had to take a look and the more I talked to the guy the more I liked it. The owner told me it was in a magazine in 1960, he said if he finds it hell let me know

22. That certainly is an interesting little car! Looks like you'll have fun making it all "period correct" to the original build time.
    I hope you will drive it and turn some heads!

Alden

23. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Mr. Brown you have a lovely daughter. I've seen this Corvette, it's from a whole nother universe. It looks like it belongs at Lead Sled East.

24. Wouldn't it need to go to resin east? I think that lead and glass are a lot like water and oil.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

way to go man, looking forward to seeing pics of it with the right wheels and tires on it

26. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

27. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

I live in Lincoln (very close to Omaha), and have worked on 100's of Corvettes in this area and never saw that car! Must have been hiding in a garage for a LONG time

28. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

I hear you both... I've had to deal with many "vette" guys... They suck. Theres nothing worse than a super anal guy that has matching corvette polo shirts for him and his wife, along with their matching corvette lawn chairs and tent. It's like the nerds are invading the "car" hobby

29. All it takes is credit.

I was at a cruise back in the early part of the century and was listening to about 4 of 'em bragging about who cleans and details their cars. That's just car hobby meets thorozene, right there.

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

cool im glad to see some one get it thats going to dial it back a couple decades, I randomly found that on craigslist as well and posted it on fb trying to decide if it was cool or not. I think it was cool, and with the right chrome reverse and white walls leaving the hood down it could be cool again.

i'll join the ranks of ppl surprised they had never seen it!