Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious (Phx. hist.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I think the actual building (SHOP) is still there? I know the house and camera shop are gone

els likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Naw, the shop and I believe the house are both still there. I believ the house is where the gym is based. I haven't seen the gates open to the shop in a couple of years now, but I can still see the building behind it.

els likes this.
  3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

So I guess the house was directly in front of the shop? Checked on Historic Aerials and it was still there in 2004 and not in 2007.

If anyone hasn't used this yet, it's pretty neat. http://www.historicaerials.com/

els likes this.
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A few examples.

Army airfields used for racing, first is Grand and Litchfield, 1970. You can make out two rows of tire tracks on the upper leg. The white Xs on either end indicate an unusable landing strip, that section was partially torn up to discourage unauthorised racing, same as what was done at Beeline.

Untitled (2) (800x450).jpg

Grand and 163rd ave., 1958. Tracks visible from use as a road coarse.

2 (2) (800x450).jpg

Fairgrounds, 1958.

3 (2) (800x450).jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    els likes this.
  5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A few more roundy round related items.

These were from the Joe Pittman estate.

Pittman 001.jpg Pittman 002.jpg Pittman 003.jpg Pittman 004.jpg Pittman 005.jpg Pittman 006.jpg Pittman 007.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    els likes this.
  6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Went to an estate sale a while back with old drag racing trophys and managed to get one of the last ones on the table. Lucky enough to be the first to the register and was handed the pic that confirmed my suspicions.

Allan Knutsen.

Knutsen 001.jpg

Pic taken at his old house at 39 ave and Myrtle.

Beeline Class Winner trophy.

Knutsen 019 (600x800).jpg Knutsen 027 (800x600).jpg Knutsen 040 (800x646).jpg The sale was at his familys old farm house where his mother lived until her passing. Thought I'd let a little time pass till posting this here.

els likes this.
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Found an article about cruising on central in the May 1977 issue of Cars High Performance Monthly. I think the pics were taken at the old Arby's that stood where the McDonalds is now, where a few fellow H.A.M.B.ers meet up each Sat night.

Central 001.jpg Central 002.jpg Central 003.jpg

els likes this.
  8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

In this pic from the above article, if you were to look to the right, behind what I think is a Goodyear tire center, you would see the building that was Johnny Lopers first speed shop (no longer standing) at 18 east Clarendon.

Central 003.jpg

els likes this.
  9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sweet stuff!

els likes this.

10. I was going to mention Vintage Phoenix to everyone if they have a Facebook account. Its a real cool step back in time to see where things were in this city plus its cool to see the streets full of old cars.

els likes this.
  11. gasser-a-go-go

gasser-a-go-go

LOL so true everyone's last resort place to go

els likes this.
  12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, not my experiences at all! I'll go to Loper's before I send my money to Summit or Jegs any day of the week. I've never been treated as any less than family around there.

els likes this.
  13. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I had a bad experiece with dicks i went in to get a quote for a speedocable and gear for my 57. The way he talked down to me and my truck out of nowhere it just seamed to have other things bugging him on his mind and he took them out on me. i i told his he needed to not talk down to me or my vehicle and left with not so nice things to say to him back. I dont know who he wasbut i will not do business with him i have never been treated as badly by a business. i had heard bad things at car shows but thought i should give them a chance. still never got a speedo cable but got gps now its pretty accurate if i ever remember to turn it on.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    els likes this.
  14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Me as well. I dread the day that those doors are not open. I have seen some funny looks from the other side of the counter when someone walks in looking for import stuff though.

els likes this.
  15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

No offense Joel, but try not laughing, reading first 7 words of your post.

els likes this.
  16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A few more bits.

First drive in theater in Phoenix, being the first it didn't need a fancy name, 3600 E. Van Buren.
    Phoenix-AZ-Drive-In-Theatre-Postcard-Circa-1947_1.jpg
    Drive in.jpg

The next two were midget? tracks.

Roosevelt Field, in an old ballpark.
    Roosevelt.jpg

South Mountain
    South Mountain.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    els likes this.
  17. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I thought of that as i was typing it, and thought we are all grown mature men here...:D guess not...lol

els likes this.
  18. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I did hear from a guy at a cruise in the other day and have seen a few post els wear that kind of back it up, but I heard (correct me if I am wrong) that Luke AFB (where i currently Live) was a drag strip at one time when the base shutdown for a while, and the strip was moved to Luke's auxiliary field just off of the 60 north of the base which is now speedworld drag strip. and the base reopened and has been going strong since. And if anyone has any pictures of the luke AFB strip I would like to see them and show them to my USAF buddys here on base.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    els likes this.
  19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I know there was racing at a Luke auxiliary field previous to Phoenix Drag Strip/Speedworld being built, but never heard about racing at the main base or it ever shutting down. Can't say it never happened though.

els likes this.
  20. [​IMG]

Not sure if it has been announced yet but, officials at Speedworld have told me that Speedworld will be closing permanentely sometime this year. :( :(
    They have not set an exact date but, are not expecting to be able to run out their schedule for the full year. As of now, it appears the dragstrip will be open into May.
    This will allow me to run out mu 3 day weekend in early April including the Nostalgic Show & GO! on April 7.

This really saddens me and have gone there since 1969 and have hosted drags and shows there since 1998.

very bad news for all. I had hoped this place to would stay forever.
    However, they are still open as of now and we encourage everyone to go to Speedworld and attend the events while they last.

If only something could be done about it.

els likes this.
  21. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Quoted from Speedworld's Fakebook page....

"We would like to apologize for a recent post that could have been misinterpreted and would like to set the record straight for everyone.

It is with great sadness that we announce that Speedworld's location in Wittmann will likely be closing in the near future. We do not know a specific date but will keep you updated as things progress.

We are still running all events as scheduled until further notice."

els likes this.
  22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Can't express how much this bums me out. I'm just going to keep hoping they can work it out somehow.

els likes this.
  23. this was just posted on FB a couple of hours ago. GREAT NEWS! It appears that we have been able to work out an equitable agreement for an exit strategy for Speedworld that could possibly give us quite a number of weekends to continue running. Specific details have yet to be worked out, but we're definitely breathing a little easier tonight! YIPPEE!

els likes this.
  24. They are hoping to run through May. we need to attend any of their events to support them. They are open this weekend and every weekend.

els likes this.
  25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    els likes this.
  26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Here's some pics from the Steinegger and Eshenbaugh open house.

DSCN2686.JPG DSCN2689.JPG DSCN2699.JPG

^A bunch of these had to be moved because of the new format, they can be seen in posts 600-602.^

The following images are from drag racing photographer J.R. Bloom and are just a fraction of the pics he has taken over the years.

DSCN2747.JPG DSCN2748.JPG DSCN2749.JPG DSCN2750.JPG DSCN2751.JPG DSCN2752.JPG DSCN2753.JPG DSCN2755.JPG DSCN2757.JPG DSCN2758.JPG

Build pics of the Guggy's Willys.

G2.jpg
    G4.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    els likes this.
  27. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

More from J.R. Bloom.

Loper's '59 Chevy.
    DSCN2759.JPG

DSCN2761.JPG

Bob Sefton.
    DSCN2760.JPG

Brown Brothers.
    DSCN2762.JPG

El Cid.
    DSCN2764.JPG

Custom Auto Parts.
    DSCN2765.JPG

Perryville and Phoenix Drag Strip.
    DSCN2766.JPG DSCN2767.JPG

Park Central.
    DSCN2768.JPG

Speed Engineering.
    DSCN2769.JPG

Allan Knutsen.
    DSCN2770.JPG

Meyer and Cluff.
    DSCN2771.JPG

Little Hoss Too.
    unnamed 6.jpg unnamed.jpg

Allan Knutsen.
    DSCN9172.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    els likes this.
  28. Really great old pictures. Brings back lots of memories. Thanks for sharing.

els likes this.
  29. I had a chance to go thru some of the albums yesterday.Seeing pics from back then and some of the memmories that came back were priceless.Wanted to spend more time looking at the albums but my buddy was gettin ancy to get lunch.

els likes this.
  30. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

this is the COOLEST pic a have seen in a while, love it and the olds powered 5 window
    [​IMG]

els likes this.