Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious (Phx. hist.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Mar 10, 2009.

1. els likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pretty sure that Barry's T-bird is the same one that was in the back lot of the car care place next to Rosita's Place on McDowell. It just dissappeared recently after having been back there for years, but it had all sorts of extra instumentation. I had always meant to stop and ask if I was correct.

On another note, I just drove the wagon around today with one of Bodi's Goldwater '64 stickers in the back window and got tons comments! Mostly compliments!!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    els likes this.
  3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Looks like one was there from the Google satellite view.

Tried again to find some info on it and no luck.

Did find this however, says he owned a '63 Corvette Z06.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.globalnewslive.com/Go To 5398-3580-2744/Barry's Ride.htm

Wonder what color it was as he seemed to favor black.

els likes this.
  4. If anyone knows anything as to the where-abouts of his AMX, I'd be interested.....

els likes this.
  5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Some 70s road racing at Mel Larsons track. Looks like the drag strip served as the straightaway.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    els likes this.
  7. Thanks Matt. I had no idea that's where it was, but, it makes sense it ended up at Collier. It's not going anywhere.....:rolleyes: Maybe I'll give him a call, and see just what he thinks it's worth.

els likes this.
  8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I try to put links with a lot of these posts but they are easy to overlook.

els likes this.
  9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

AWESOME clips....thanks!

els likes this.
  10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I think I just stumbled upon part of a well known gasser. What do you think?

3aee1773-d3c6-4438-95bf-18d0386a19cc.jpg scan0011a.jpg Wheelie bar 004 (800x600).jpg Wheelie bar 001 (800x600).jpg Wheelie bar 008 (800x600).jpg Wheelie bar 014 (800x600).jpg Wheelie bar 015 (800x600).jpg
    Went to a guys house to look at a Poncho rear and found this. Got it home, did some looking around and saw what I just assumed was the same "kind" of bar used on Little Hoss Two. Then I realised early wheelie bars were a fairly new thing at the time and everybody pretty much made their own. Was far from free but definitely neat. He says he has the spring too but can't figure out where.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    els likes this.
  11. land, thanks for posting the vids of the road course some of the newer crew at Speedworld didn't believe me when I told them there was a road course out there.Use to have a neighbor that lived off of 42nd ave just north of Bethany home thar ran an old Porsche speedster out there.

els likes this.
  12. Any of you Phoenix old timer remember the 1st car show at the "mad house on McDowell", at the fair grounds? It would have been '67 or '68. I was working at Black Canyon Body Shop, located on the north bound I-17 service road next door (south) to the motorcycle repair school. We painted a very radical fat fendered Ford or Mercury a deep candy blue and it trophied at that show. It was called "The Vindictor". I used to have a bunch of pictures of it at the body shop and the car show but lost them in my 1st divorce! Anyway, any memories of it and or pictures?

els likes this.
  13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

HOLY WOW!! What a keepsake! The wheelie bar off Lil' HOSS II? Great eye! One of the prettiest most bad ass drag cars ever....I might be a little biased...

els likes this.
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just wishin' Johnny was still around to autograph it...

els likes this.
  15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I worked Ray Farhner's first show at the colisseum in January of '69. That's where I met "Tweety", who was working for Von Dutch then, who was in Phoenix, but he didn't come down to the show. That show eventually evolved into World of Wheels.

els likes this.
  16. I remember that the original show was in January but couldn't remember the year, all that I knew was that it was prior to my daughter being born in December of '69.

els likes this.
  17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

There were car shows at the Coliseum in the early 60s. Went one year with my friend Don Marks and the Beatnik Bandit was there,also a 27 T from New Mexico that was a Hot rod mag cover car. That must have been 62-64 era.

els likes this.
  18. Mike W.

Mike W.

Just found this thread and read all the way through non stop, ah the memories are running rampant. I got out of the service and ended in Phx in 74 with a bunch of fellow hot rodders, started a tri-5 car club now gone and stayed in the area until 2001 when I moved back home to Florida. I go back every year to see my boy and grand-daughter and bench race with my old buds.

I always had a '57 Chevy, had a '41 Ford coupe, and was a member of the Phoenix Rod Runners with Bill of 'Bill's Deals and Wheels' as the president. Lived at 32nd st and Roosevelt so I was close to APCO and Dean's Garage and saw Manzanita still going strong. A lot ot the cars in Boatwrights wrecking yard ran there at one time, not much left afterwards. Bought and built cars until work took me away but it was good times. That VW dealer mentioned wouldn't have been Valley VW would it? Is Dicks Speed-O-Tach still open for business?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    els likes this.
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ansolutley Dick's is still around and runnin'. Apco was quite a place back in the day, too. My family and I had the sewing machine store at 32nd and Thomas for about 35 years so I spent lot's of time in that section of town. Oh, by the way - my louver press is the one that Bill Purget Had at Big Bill's Deals and Wheels!

els likes this.
  20. ^Dick's Speed-O-Tach is still around. One location is just up the street from my place just north of 7th St. and Indian School. There is another somewhere down in the Tempe area. Strange deal, when you ask on the phone if they are affiliated they PROCLAIM that they are not..... Heard that from them last year. I wonder what happened there.

els likes this.
  21. Mike W.

Mike W.

That is the one I used a few times, good to hear they are still in business as I have a few speedo's that could use some work so I'll box them up for next year's trip.

els likes this.
  22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  23. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    els likes this.
  24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Trying to fix some old links and reread this post. If you're correct about Clint Brawner's shop, that should be what is now called Hissyfits. I think this is a photo of it from the 60s.

pgdvlshop.jpg

Found here: http://brawnerhawk.com/BRAWNER_HAWK_CLINT.htm

RatPwrd and els like this.
  25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Lanny Haas made mention of Cloud 9. I used to hike up to the remains when I was a kid.

I put up a request on the Vintage Phoenix page on FB, for nighttime (or anytime) pics of the nightclub. Mostly, I would love to see an early color slide of a cityscape type of image with the signage lit up! Didn't know it was visible from the Black Canyon highway coming into town....makes sense.

els likes this.
  26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Actually, Brawner's shop is kinda south and behind "hissyfits". It is now a private gym I believe. His son Tom had the shop over there until about ten years ago and I frequently went over to pickup and deliver louver projects. Always seemed weird to park in the banks paking lot, but the gate is still there.

els likes this.
  27. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The one between Hissyfits and the bank looked more residential, so I just guessed it was his home. Wish I had my 1960 directory handy.

Found a neat YouTube bio on the man.

els likes this.
  28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yep, that's it. If you don't know Tom, I'll introduce you at So Cal when I see the two of you together.

els likes this.
  29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  30. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Cool.

els likes this.