Register now to get rid of these ads!

just clown'n around!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Oct 11, 2003.

1. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Well fellow Hambers another clown car has been found.I hope Texaco doesnt see this,they may want it for thier next nationwide ad campaign.Dig the Texaco made from scratch and welded above the rear edge of the car.Also I love that decal in the windshield,does anyone know who that is?This baby has been hid from daylight for ever!I hope the pics are good enough to see, some are dark and its hard for an old dog to learn this COMP-uter-stuff.

Attached Files:

2. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

and another

Attached Files:

3. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

another

Attached Files:

4. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

another

Attached Files:

5. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

What do you hamber guys and gals think?

Attached Files:

6. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Sorry about the bad pics, but ya gotta learn some how!

Attached Files:

7. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

larger

Attached Files:

8. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

larger pic

Attached Files:

9. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

lager pic

Attached Files:

10. carkiller

carkiller

I expect ta see ya driveing it at the next HAMB drags with the proper fezz. Cal

11. gregg

gregg
    from Fulton IL

That's Ed Wynn, a comedian from the days of vaudeville. I think he passed away in the '80s. Let's hear more about the car. History? I wonder if Texaco was a sponsor for a TV show that he was on.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

Some clown cars are not exciting. This one was a Shrine Circus Clown Car. They cut off the windshield and there was no body behind the cowl. Yuck. I have repaired the windshield and have got doors on it. Next I will give it a body. It runs and I plan to keep the hood which is lettered with the Nobles names.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

heres another view

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I got lots of parts with it

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

cleaning it up and putting Model A headlites on it

16. Phil1934

Phil1934

Keenan Wynn passed away in the '80's. Ed Wynn was his father.

17. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Carkiller, I figured you would be at the pile -up.I wanted to go so bad its killing me,but had to take care of some family stuff.Tell you what I try to drive everything, but I think I just bring this along and put you in charge of it.!

18. Chuck Fish

Chuck Fish

manyolcars,what are you pullin the trailer with?

Chuck Fish

19. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

You may have found something really great [​IMG]

Ed Wynn

Having appeared in a few films, in the '30s he increased his popularity on radio as the Texaco Fire Chief.

"Texas Oil is going to sponsor a half-hour comedy radio show beginning in September, that’s only eight weeks away. They’ve chosen an established vaudeville comic named Ed Wynn, and they’re going to advertise him as the "Fire Chief," which is what Texas Oil is calling their new gasoline. They want to give away a hat to each customer who purchases five gallons of their gasoline. Ten gallons, two hats."

[​IMG]
    On Ebay right now - This photo is of the actor comedian Ed Wynn wearing a Texaco Fire Chief Hat.

1932 - The Texaco fire chief, Ed Wynn, was heard on radio’s Texaco Star Theater for the first time. Wynn, a popular vaudeville performer, demanded a live audience to react to his humour if he was to make the switch to radio. The network consented and Wynn became radio’s first true superstar. He would later make the switch to TV.

[​IMG]
    Ed Wynn as "The Fire Chief"
    Ed Wynn (1886-1966)is credited with producing the first comedy program on radio, a mounting of his revue, The Perfect Fool, for broadcast on February 19, 1922. Wynn is said to have become the first radio performer to have a studio audience when he rounded up station employees to witness the broadcast because he found it difficult to be funny without an audience to respond to his humor. Wynn's strong ties to stage entertainment also caused him to wear a costume during his radio broadcasts. He is seen here performing in his most popular radio series, The Texaco Fire Chief, which ran from 1932 to 1935.

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Chuckfish, the towtruck is a beat up 39 Ford that I have been driving for 10 years. I couldn't leave it turquoise any longer. Its a 350/350, 3 dueces, straight pipes, 9" rear. It is ugly but has been an excellent truck. Thats Honest Charlies door on the A coupe, but he doesnt know it yet. [​IMG]

21. Is he selling the T? Let me know- thanks Jim

22. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Guys, thanks for all the info and pics.I cant belive how much you can find out about anything on the hamb.Manyolcars, looks like you have as many projects as I do,and the a clown car looks to be in pretty good shape.Gregg as far as history on this car I dont know a lot but heres what I know.The car was put together by a fellow who ran a salvage yard and one of his buddies who owned a texaco service station in the fifties.It was built to entertain the salvage yard owners young son and to use in local parades.The sad part is the young boy died of some heath complications and never got to ride in it and the car was locked in the basement of a building since then.Thanks again guys,hope you all got a kick out of seeing it.