Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features just cant slow it down!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by subneil56, Nov 3, 2013.

1. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

has anybody converted s10 rear end brakes to big brakes . i was thinking of maybe chevy car or truck of the 50s? is it possible switch backing plates ?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Probably some fab involved, but anything's possible.

3. squirrel

squirrel

what does the backing plate bolt pattern look like? The G body 7.5" rear had a funky setup and little brakes....the wheel cylinder mounted in a thick tab that was welded to the rearend housing. If it looks like that, then you're probably out of luck. But if it's a normal four bolt setup, you should be able to find something.

Although you really need to work on the front brakes to solve your problem....

4. Might be time to update the rear axle. HRP

5. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

it has the normal four bolt set up ,i was hoping some one had already been there??? any help would be greatly appreciated

6. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

the best disk brake upgrade for an s-10 axle is from an f-body (camaro and firebird) direct bolt in

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Front brakes do most of the work, what car are you trying to stop? I have S10 brakes all around on my 37 Buick and it stops instantly. My 4000+ pound caddy has G body front discs (same as S10) and 11" rear drums, also stops fantastic.
    Are you sure everything is working as it should?
    If the rear has the standard 4 bolt pattern you should be able to bolt up brakes from the mid 60s up, my 11" drums are from a 68 impala.

8. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

im trying to stop a 35 chevy standard my problem is im trying to stop 33 inch tall tires in the rear.this car has drum all the way around. yes i am sure about every thing working wright .i did some hard stops and with a heat gun all the drum temps were about the same .

9. When you did those hard stops did the front, or rear tires slide? if not, bigger brakes won't help. Many here don't understand the relationship of wheel cylinder bore size to master cylinder bore size. Are all the components from the same donor vehicle? Rear brakes is usually not the place to start generating more stopping power!

10. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

the front would lock up. front brake and master are from the same vehicle .

11. Ok, then you are on the right track.

12. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Check the wheel cylinder bore size. Many parts stores label the S10 cylinders the same as all the G Bodies. However S10 had a 7/8" bore verses the G body 3/4" bore.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

13. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

not to sound dumb but 7/8 bore verses 3/4 witch would give me more braking power?? and if im wright buy saying that 3/4 bore would give more ,would that be better than going to bigger drums

14. 1955IHC

1955IHC

The larger bore will apply more force. I'm not good with the math. I know it will also increase pedal travel.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  15. fordflambe

fordflambe

I've got 4 wheel drum (54 chevy car front and 72 Camaro rear) on 31 Chevy sedan and it stops great.......what master cylinder are you using?......possibly wrong bore on MC?

And I'm running 31.5 tall tires in back.........

16. Larger wheel cylinder bore will give more force:

Brake line pressure (lbs/in^2) x Wheel cylinder area (in^2) = pressure on brake shoes. So a larger wheel cylinder diam will give more force.

You may want to look at the orig S-10 wheel cylinder and then go up to larger, even if not stock S-10, if it will bolt up it will work and the new larger wheel cyl diam will give more rear brake force. You may need to get a real auto parts store parts book and look in the specification section in the back.

I agree that the F-body brakes may be the easiest solution. The later model 82-up used that same rearend as S-10 used.

17. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

7/8 is the larger bore size, 3/4 is 6/8 bore. Just so you are clear which is the larger bore size. Good luck with getting your brakes to stopping your ride. It would be a shame to damage that frontend of your car.