Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just Bought another Merc...51 this time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enfieldjoe, Oct 3, 2010.

1. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

After some searching and thanks to UnionVilleHaunt (Chris), I scored a 51 Merc with a decent body and price. Needs some TLC, but all good projects need that personal touch. Not sure exactly what will happen with the body mods, but I plan to use the custom Merc chassis by Slddnmatt via ChopnWeld. It will have a 351W and AOD for power.

Not excited about the quad headlights (think they are from a 59 Lincoln), but also scored a set of original front fenders. Might replace the original 51 "waterfall" dash with a 49 dash (part of the deal). Gots lots to think about for this build.

Attached Files:

2. Man- You don't mess around,do you?!? Congrats!

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am GLAD for you ... I know you prefer a 51 over the 49. Now you have a pair of Mercurys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONS :D :D

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i was watching that one!!

5. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Matt:
    Chris looked at it for me on the way back from looking at a 51 up in Sussex, NJ. This one was better than the one in Sussex and more reasonable price. Got a nice deal with a 49 dash, fender skirts, original front fenders, and the custom front end on the original body. The seller bought a 49 Merc and only had room for one car.

6. JAWS

JAWS

Me too! Damn it. Good score.:D

7. Congrats. I agree with u on the quads. And the grille. Right now it reminds me of a chevy truck. Don't know why?

8. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I also prefer a '51 over a '49. the longer rear fenders on the '51 do it for me. my dad had a '51 a long time ago..wished he still had it.

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I also dig the 51. Had one before. I'd even keep the 51 rear window if you decide to chop it. Kool porject.

10. banditomerc

banditomerc

You got to keep that rear window if you chop it! and get rid of the DRIP RAILS!!

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

The car is a very nice starting point, that's for sure. My parents live right by where the car was so I stopped over there on the way home. Had to have 10 cars stop and stare, I think that's because of the front end looking so out there. All things considered the front end has grown on me. I'll get some pics and post em up here later. Good score my man.

12. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Big THANKS go out to UnIOnVILLEHaunt (Chris) for helping me with this buy. Can't wait to get SlddnMatt's custom chassis under this Merc.

The BIG question remains: To CHOP or NOT to chop, that is the question???? Kinda like a 50 Merc rear window if it is chopped, or keep the 51 rear window?

13. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Chop chop, yes yes. But, you know how I feel about it. A lot of guys say they like unchopped Mercs rule, but I've personally never felt that way when I see a chopped custom sitting next to a bulbous unchopped Merc. Again, opinion.

As for the rear window, I like the 50 in the 51s, but different strokes for different folks. I just think that it's gotta look right from all angles, and it takes on the look of a 1st generation Mustang fastback, where half the back of the car is glass. It's a huge window to begin with, start removing factory real estate of metal, but that window stays huge, just looks off to me. But, taste is taste.

14. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Joe,I wouldnt change the dash.The 50-51 dash is so much cleaner.

15. I like them chopped but whatever floats your boat.

16. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

17. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Untarped it this morning and moved it up, just to get poured on. Hasn't stopped raining here in like two weeks, fed up with it.

Anywho, as you can see, she is in really sweet shape! Im going to pull the rockers off, they are just held in with sheetmetal screws, as they are in bare metal. The trunk is loaded with parts as is the car, the dash is in my house though.

Joe, meet Merc.

18. teddyp

teddyp

nice find chris i agree they look better with the 49-50 back window when chopped and the 49 dash looks good in them .chirs is there a red almost candy looking paint under the front-end looks like a merc for pa. i saw in the early 90,s

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Congrats.If you do chop it keep the 51 window.Take a look at Mercury Charlie's "Sweet Nadine" and the one Sldnnmatt did.They look awesome with the 51 back window.

20. OUCH! 49's taking a hit here huh....I happen to love 49's!!!!!!
    Looks like another great Merc find....

21. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

No, just could not pass on the 51 deal, plus I needed a 51 to slip under the chassis that SlddnMatt made....

22. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i agree bob..49's look great..not sure what these guys are thinking to want a 51:D

23. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

And with all this '51 talk, I'm leaving in the morning to pick up my '51 coupe driver project. :) I'm going to start charging admission down here!

24. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks great,I was also a watcher on this one.I'm diggin the headlights.

25. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

I love 49s esp. BadBobs; they are almost as nice as 51's. hahaha Nice score Joe; thats clean! Chop it, go with 49 dash, 49-50 rear window. Oh, and bags are for much more than groceries. :) I knew you would go with the 351w and AOD; just let me know when I should ship it out to you (its up on the HAMB classified's). Welcome to Club51! Chopnweld

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I like the front end treatment. Oh yeah congrats

27. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Yeah, the quads are okay, but I not diggin them and the grille. The front end just does not work....yet? Maybe I don't have the "vision", but I have always liked the traditional 51 headlights with some "treatment" yet to be defined.

I'm not feelin the 51 rear window with a chop either. Just think a 50 looks better back there. Again, maybe my "vision" is cloudy?

28. I'd say go with whatever you like. My bodyshop guy was not up to the task of trying to put another rear window in my car... I would have probably went with a non-Merc rear window after some research.

29. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

looks like a good base to build on