Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought a Hobart Mig welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alpo, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Been reading posts on mig welders and decided that the Hobart Handler 187 was the one to get. Found one at Sears online only so went ahead and ordered it. Got it for $619 but of course they added $47 taxes and shipping of $49. Did I do all right at this price??

2. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I don't remember what i paid for mine but it is a good welder.It will do most anything a small shop or home garage will need.

3. worken2much

worken2much

Just looked at the local farm store today. Your price is + / - $20 bucks or so. I bought a 187 about two years ago. Put it on gas & hard wire. I've never been happier with a tool purchase in my life. Can't say enough good things about it. Conversly, bought a Lincoln p.o.s. prior to. The only good thing about it was the big handle. Made it easy to throw in the lake.

4. Gerg

Gerg

I have one also and love it. I paid a bit more then that for mine but still happy

5. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Very good welder, I have just about built everything from from rails to reinforcing suspension to rollcages. You will not be disappointed, USE ARGON MIX though. Much nicer then flux core wire. Also there are past posts you should look for on here about welding tecniques How to make MIG look like TIG..... Always useful stuff. Good Luck Jeff

6. swissmike

swissmike

Got mine at Tractor Supply foR less than $600 and no shipping;-)
    It's a good machine you won't be disappointed.

7. StratoStreakV8

StratoStreakV8
    from SW Ohio

I really like my HH187. Hobart has a design engineering presence here in Dayton, and runs a welding school here too. Mine was a display model at the welding school; it had never been used. Picked it up off Craigslist a couple of years ago for $500 with a new leather welding jacket, welder cover, and gloves.

8. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

heres the thing i also have a hobart and what most people dont know is it all miller guts..if you look at the welding torch it should say miller...i have owned two different hobarts and both never failed me or gave me issues i also have a lincoln at work and home and i dont like either....good buy enjoy the hell out of it

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Tractor Supply had them on sale last year for less than $500.00, it was a closeout as Hobart was changing to a 110/220 combo unit.

10. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

been running a hobart 210 handler..love it...

11. I seen them at Tractor Supply a while back and should have jumped on it then but hesitated. Now they don't have any. Even checked the Northern Tools website and all gone. Seen them on the Sears website so went over there but it's an online item only so not going to hesitate this time and that's how I ended up getting it from sears. Thanks for all the comments. Glad I made the right decision.

12. Last year I bought a 210 . I have used it for everything. What I like about the 210 is that I can weld eveything from 24g. to 3/8 plate. I use .24,.030 , .035,and .045.wire in it. Most of my welding I use Co2 and have my 75/25 for special projects. The only bad thing about the 210 is I paid $1000.00 for it at Big R. I have no complaints about the welder.

Lee

13. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Make sure you reverse the polarity if you plan on running solid wire, as they come set up for flux core............ask me how I know!

14. i like my hobart i had it over 14 year

15. 4ever18

4ever18

I purchased my Hobart MigMan welder (110/220) in 1984. The trigger switch started sticking a few months ago. I sprayed it with radio tuner cleaner and it is back to working as always. That's the only time I've ever had a problem. I've welded chassis components, farm equipment, structural steel, and even cast iron exhaust manifolds with this machine. It works great. It's a much larger machine than the Handler (it was $1000, in 1984). My experience with the Hobart brand has always been excellent. If my information is correct, the Hobart brand has been folded into a series of brands from a single manufacturer.

16. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Hobart has discontinued the 187, to be replaced by the new 190. That's why they were on sale at Tractor supply when I bought mine a few months ago for $459.
    I really like it a lot.
    I have worked with Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, and ESAB where I was employed, but I have not ever used a welder that works any better than my little 187.

17. dolittle

dolittle

The Hobart welders are made in Appleton Wisconsin by Miller Electric. They are built right alolng side other Miller mig welders using standard Miller parts. The color of a few components changes to differentiate the 'other' channel of distribution. They are both ITW companies.

How do i know this? Well I make the parts for those welders. They without a doubt the best welder for the money you can buy.

Dolittle

18. Thanks for the tip, will remember that.

Wow, I should have got one way back when our Tractor Supply had them and saved a little but still got it at a fair price, I think.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought my HH187 a few years ago when they were first introduced, from Tractor Supply. As I recall, the price was around $540. I've welded a lot with it and either I'm getting better or the welder makes me look good, because I'm able to lay down some pretty good beads with it, with excellent penetration. I've never had an issue with it. Just dial it in per the door chart and weld happily ever after !

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"
    Don't fret the price.

21. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I have two Hobarts, older one is before Miller bought em, so it is all Hobart, newer one has Miller guts.

No problems with either one, ever, but I like the older one better,,,

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Prior employer of mine had a Handler, very impressive.

23. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I love my HH187. I didn't realize that it was discontinued until I read this thread so I went to the TSC website and see the 210MVP, man I wish they had that when I bought the 187! Then I would be able to load up and go to my Dad's to help with his floor plans on 110v power or whatever. Here is some of the 187's handywork on C25 gas and good quality .030 wire:
    [​IMG]

72yenkonova and slug like this.
  24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was told that the only difference between the 187 and the new 190 is that the 190 is spool ready. Otherwise, they are the same machine.

25. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

and IIRC the 110/220 dual voltage inputs.

26. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

I got the 140 handler I love it works great!!!!

27. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

I love my hobart 187! You will be happy running gas and solid wire, I was.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

29. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

I'v been drooling over a Hobart at my tractor supply for a while. And yeah, its cheaper there than what you got. But hey, you got a good welder, cant complain too much. :rolleyes:

30. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

also check northern tool they usually run christmas specials