Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought a 54 desoto w/ Hemi. MachineShop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sobastrace, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Hi all,
    Just found a hemi v8 for a project, I now need a good machine shop in the LA area that knows these old 331's. Any suggestions.

The motor turns over, the oil looked pretty good, but the owner told me the car was last run in 1981. the motor is complete down to all the original id tags attached to the carb, etc. Still has all the accessories. The car also has practically no rust so i have to decide wheather to throw an old running motor/trans in and sell as a runner, or to part it out.

What do you guys think?
    -Spence

2. Can'y help you with a machine shop, but you have a 276, not a 331. 331 was a chrysler motor. David

3. Thanks,
    I am new to the mopar scene...Building my first one. The previous owner told me 331.

-spence

4. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

sobastrace,____your 54 desoto came with a 276 c.i. hemi. 331 hemis came in 51-55 chryslers. p.m. me if i can help. good luck_________dan

5. Bugman

Bugman

People often confuse the DeSoto 330 with the Chrysler 331, But like previously mentioned, yours is a low deck 276. If the thing turns over and the oil looks fine, why not give it a tuneup and see if it'll run? It mught have some stuck rings and the valve seals will be all dried out, so it might smoke abit. But dump some Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase with the new oil, and with some driving the rings will probably unstick, and the valve seals might swell up again. It may not need a full rebuild, just a freshening up. If you do decide to go with a full rebuild, have your checkbook and co-signer ready, cause it ain't cheap, especially with a non-chrysler Hemi.

6. Squablow

Squablow

That '54 isn't a two door hardtop, is it? Cuz I know a guy who'd shit his pants for one of those. And if you part it out, what ya need for the grille? I could use another one for my collection.

7. Scotch

Scotch

A pal and I are looking at rodding a '31 deSoto...If things don't work out, for whatever reason, we'd love to have a pair of deSoto hemi valve covers hanging out of the engine compartment. An engine in the condition yours is in would be great.

I hope things work out for you with the engine, but if they don't, please PM me and we'll talk.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!

Scotch~!