Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

2. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I like it. Very nice work.

3. LOL...as cheap as possible. I'm even buying a sewing machine and trying my hand at the interior.
    lets see now.
    1950 club coupe---1200.-- sold seized flatty- 150.00
    one slightly used 87 302 roller and c-4 250.00 ....hope it runs
    One used edel intake- 40.00
    mustang headers-40.00
    maveric rear-75.00
    cavalier rack-40.00
    assorted body materials- 100.00
    New sterring column 200.00
    Ok maybe around 1700 or so

4. gas tank time. Tried n true mustang tank. Easy install. I'm going to cap the mustang inlet and have the filler on the right side 1/4 panel. The tank sits closer to the right and shorter to the 1/4 for a cleaner look. Just don't care for the filler in the trunk.

5. Pics didn't take again. dam it. try this

Attached Files:

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

It has been a long time ago, but I tried a '54 grill on a '51 and nothing lined up correctly as I remember. others may know better.

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I like the idea of runnning the filler out the side - pretty easy to weld-up too , since it's brand-spankin' new .

8. Yes, going to do the extra work now not later when the tank has gas in it. Now's the time. Win win situation

9. Life in the fast lane. Went thru this diet when i was building my Enfield. Late nites. No time for making supper when your a bachelor. Getting fancy tonite. Lemon chicken. mmmmmm

Attached Files:

10. Gotta love those shoeboxes , looking good,,,,Sam

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

HaHa - could be worse , I guess !

12. Came across a 51 dash which i prefer. Had the steering column and swinging brake pedal bracket already made to fit the 50 dash so had to modify the steering column drop bracket and pedal bracket.

Attached Files:

13. jerseymike

jerseymike

cars looking good, just wondering, what's that brake pedal assembly out of?

14. I got it from a friend and he thinks it was out of a early 60's chevy pickup. Just straightened the bends in it to make it straight. Nice and long for leverage power and with the little booster it should work great.
    I just got the pedal by the way. The bracket i made.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  15. Had a notion to tackle a fender skirt. Still in the rough and whittling stage.

Attached Files:

16. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

skirts are looking good.

17. Scoop for the skirt. Took longer to make than i thought.

Attached Files:

18. Picked up a nice set of ripple lake pipes last night. Apperantly they are rare old Fentons according to some hambers. The knowledge base here on the Hamb is incredible. I have a feeling these pipes are going to be the crowning jewel of the car. Some might say it's a waste to put them on a budget build like i'm doing, but........

Attached Files:

19. Few more pics of the skirt. I used a ratched 50 hood. It was up side down and had a pool of water sitting in it and rusted thru on one side so it was a good enough for a experiment. Hood offered a 4 ft skirt. Another foot to work with would have been great but i think it'll look ok. Contours of the hood gives me a left and right side skirt in the end. The top edge was a straight bend folded over a 1/8x 3/4 flat bar stock while the bottom edge i used a 3/8 bar bent to shape and skin folded over it. It's very stiff once the inner frame was finished.
    Sorry about the poor quality pics. The flash in my junk camera gave up. So says Nikon is quality.

Attached Files:

20. A few more pics Merc big block valve covers going on the 302. Dramatic difference. Just gave the covers a quick blast of gold caliper paint. Plus a pair of head light rings from a merc for frenching later.

Attached Files:

21. Got a start on the merc headlight rings. I cut the bezels down by 3/4 inch. Stock mercs looked like cannons sticking out the fender so i thought i'd soften them up abit. Headlight bucket assy set back about a 1 inch or so from the inside of the fender.

Attached Files:

22. looking good mate, will keep watchin this thread for more pics. nothing wrong with a budget build, everyones got a budget, its just what u can do to stretch the budget further.
    keep it up mate.

23. A buddy and i bought a 50 for a parts car cheap. Lots of parts. We each paid a few hun. He wanted the overdrive assy and rear end and i got the rest basicly. We both come out ahead. I'll use the frame to build and use the other one for a roller. Got a beautiful trunk lid, rear bumper pan, 1/4 panels, roof? nice tight hinges and latches, trunk centre pan and spare well is nice to, 4 rear nice doors complete, Hood was good enough to make my fender skirts. etc etc. . Back yard looking bad ,real bad.

Attached Files:

24. Well spring has sprung and i don't do much building in the riding reason. This is what i've got so far. Time spent over the winter months. Time to get insurance on the roadster and Torino and relax.

Attached Files:

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I like it - all except those lake pipes ... you can throw them away in my garage & I'll dispose of them properly ;) .

26. You might be right. They do look a little dated don't they.:)

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , you need to "update" that look a bit :) !

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Oh dammm you are killing me with those side pipes...I have been looking a long time for some of those...great score.

29. looking good mate. i love shoe boxes and this ones one the right track to being a real nice one. i like the fact you're using what you got and keepin it within your budget. keep up the good work

30. Dan

Dan

very cool stuff, love shoeboxes...

Tell me about the merc valvecovers, are they a bolt on for the 302? I have a 302 snd I dont care much for the looks and those v/c's on yours look great!