Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. I'm sure they are all made in the same place with different labels. They may work on your car. I talked to one guy last weekend and he was ok with them. So go figure. I came up with cheapo stick on weather strip from home depot. Closed cell type that worked out great. Around the window area was alot thicker than the jambs. I did the paper test and i have a good seal all around and my doors close'click' without a lot of springing when the door is opened. Looks ok to. Done deal.

2. EBW

EBW

Sounds good.. if you try another place and it works keeep us posted.. but I agree with you on the fact that probably one company makes the rubber pieces for all the other companies.

3. throttlein

throttlein

Great car and great build enjoyed the thread.

4. Thank you for the interest For the money, i'm happy.

5. I made a hood molding out of some flat steel. I wasn't crazy about the factory molding and hood ornament and just adding a bull nose has been beat to death.So i made a one piece bull nose. Simple and easy to do.
    Also layed out the insulation on the floor. It's water craft approved also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  6. Those of you that are running a 302 c-4 combo, a speedo cable from a 70 Ford 1/2 ton is a direct bolt on to the 50-51 speedo head. No mods. plug n play. Got mine from napa part number 615-1646. Little tip for ya.:)

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like yer car, Tedley!

8. swimeasy

swimeasy

Just found this thread. I think that your car turned out real nice! Very nicely put together build thread!

9. captainflight

captainflight

The maverick rear is ALMOST a bolt in. But to do it correctly, the spring perches have to be moved 1/2" per side.

10. Yes your right. I bolted it up anyway for the short term. For a future winter project i'm going to change the front spring mounts. Ford uses a very small bushing and can't see it lasting long after putting some new ones in. I'm going to scour the wrecking yards for a better spring with a big ass bushing and brackets i can make work.I may have to move the perches anyway but i'll wait till i find the brackets which will be placed in a different position. I may have to use a offset shackles at the rear. I see many new vehicle using offset shackles.

11. Thanks. Appreciate that.

12. I've been slacking off but got a few things done. Scored a NOS LT 1/4 molding off of HAMBER, 51FORDCONVERT,great to deal with by the way. Good 2 dr moldings are hard to find. Anyway, buffed er up and she's perfect.
    Did a little carpet work and painted some garnish moldings as well.

Attached Files:

13. What do you think. Good enough for homemade schit? I was impressed with the new 1/4 window rubbers. They actually fit. I wanted tuck and roll but can't sew worth a dam so it's all good for a driver on the cheap.

Attached Files:

14. daddio211

daddio211

Looks great man!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. EBW

EBW

Looks clean from where I'm sitting... good job!

16. Thanks guys. Appreciate that. Toyed some more today. Nothing mind blowing here. Just a driver.:D

Attached Files:

17. jerseymike

jerseymike

man she's come a long way! glad to see your about road worthy. looking good.

18. Thanks Mike. It is getting close. It's a lot easier just doing a basic stock body. I thought of doing a full blown custom like yours but i'm getting lazy in my old age. I'm diggin your car.

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks pretty damn nice to ME , and I'm hard to please ... just ask my wife , lol !

20. Does that mean i'm on the right track? :D

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I can see the finishing line with this project!
    Good job,man

22. Thanks Finn. So close and hard to get over the hump thou. Weather is hot and beautiful so it's hard not to ride the mc right now. Slowing me down.

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hell yea !!

24. bfinch56

bfinch56

Damn your shoebox is so cool!

25. Thanks bfinch.
    I have a little question about outside mirrors. I like the traditional peep mirrors but reluctant to buy them because seeing out the passenger side mirror usually can't be turned inward enough to see out them. So you have to put a sticky convex on it. Stock mirrors aren't bad but?
    What are you guys using that work and look good?

Attached Files:

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I think stock mirrors are not bad idea.
    Friend of mine hired me as a driver at yesterday.We cruised with his 49' chopped baby-linc' and i noticed that i just cant see a shit from the peep mirrors.Maybe they work better with stock tops..

27. I've had many with peeps and couldn't see out of any of them. Chopped or not. I don't know why the manufacturers don't address this problem since it's been like that since the dawn of time and same complaint. They look cool thou.
    Probably going with stockers in the end unless someone gas a better mousetrap.

28. Getting the frt drums turned. Anyone know the max to be cut on the drums? No referance on the drums and can't find in a search.

29. daddio211

daddio211

I've never been a fan of peep mirrors, but So Cal Speed Shop in Las Vegas had a few 3" mirrors with a slight convex to them. I bought a pair (convex for both driver and passenger sides) and I'm impressed how well I can see out of them. I'm sure all So Cal stores have them, as well as online.

30. Interesting. Up here we don't have the hot rod stores like you guys down south and i hate ordering stuff only to be dissapointed. Are they both convex or passenger side only.
    Thanks for the tip daddio.