Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Hope to get it sprayed next saturday so i should have some booth pix for ya. Painting it with everything off except fenders so we have to load the booth a few times. White is a difficult spray.

2. Well, paint day came. Loading up the booth 3 times and 8 hrs later it's sprayed. I couldn't be happier. Sonja, the painter, and her husband Paul, who is also a Dupont paint rep for the area, got the nod. Sonja who i work with daily is a premier painter in my view did a slick job of laying the water based Kool Vanilla to perfection. Dirt free and smooth as glass. I tip my hat. Paul was a great helping hand in masking the car off. That was lots of work in it's self as i found out. So here are some pics.

Attached Files:

3. More pix:)

Attached Files:

4. And some more. This is a real good day.

Attached Files:

5. jerseymike

jerseymike

congratulations, looks great! can't wait to get to that point. sorry about the jets. mike

6. 4rod

4rod

oh man nice...coming along sweet...Hey if you have any extra grill parts let me know...

7. Thanks guys, long time comming.
    Mike, the jets have to dismantle this whole Atalanta thing but looking forward to the future.

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Fuck it feels so nice when paint goes on....looks killer.

9. Yes it does. Same feeling every time. pics don't show well like it does in real especially in pieces with zero curb appeal at this point. Can't wait for tomorrow morning to hang some parts.

10. daddio211

daddio211

You're going to have to update your profile pic soon! Excited for you!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

The paint looks great! It's a great feeling seeing color go on something you've worked so hard on.

12. Thanks.
    Got some panels bolted up this morning. Gives it a little more 'leg'

Attached Files:

13. ...........and one of the old man himself!

Pics do not do the paint justice, its like glass.

kgdb

Attached Files:

14. EBW

EBW

Damn.. that paint looks sexy!!!

15. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

16. Thanks guys. Now the fun part of piecing it together. I mean it really is at the fun stage.:)

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That looks pretty cool,i cant remember when i saw a white kustom at last time.

18. I'll bet it was, looks great.

19. 51custom

51custom

Congrats, looks great. Nice to see you using Dupont...I have been using it since '64...I tried 'em all, and DuPont always comes through just perfect.
    Jim

20. White is not my favorite on anything but i do like cream. It's not much of a custom except a few add ons and is basicly stock and built for easy maintenance. For the money i have into it, i'm happy.

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat! That's a cool looking car! The hard work is over! ;)

22. I thought the hard work was over to till i tried to get the molding in the rear window gasket. The front wasn't bad but the rear? What a pain in the ass. I struggled all evening and got about 2 ft. I went in the house pissed off. The instruction with the new gasket shows a dude using a tool but it's a bad pic and can't make it out. Any tricks? I made a little curved tool to get under the molding as i go but it's not the ticket.Gotta be a better way. HELP!!!!!!:confused:

23. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Now that I see yours in white sorry cream haha it makes me feel like I should spray the gallon of white I have on mine! I'm getting pretty close you gave me a boost getting your's in paint!

24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)The color looks good on there and will get better with the shiny trim added,:cool::D:eek:

25. Piece by piece the parts go on. The back window was a nightmare. Getting the trim to stay in the groove was brutal. A friend stopped with his Pontiac to lend a hand who is a very experianced glass man. He figured the gasket was a fault which is typical of aftermarket crap. The windshield was fine thou. Many hrs later the backlite was in. The molding just doesn't lay down the way it should but it is what it is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  26. Things are slowly cumming together. Polishing stainless and chrome and carefully bolting them on. No boo boo's so far. But i did run into trouble with the repo door weather strips. They just don't fit. Can't close the doors at all. I knew they might be a hard close at first till they mold themselves to the shape but they are not even close. Junk!!!!

Attached Files:

27. You like pics, here's a few more. I know i like lots of pics,:)

Attached Files:

28. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Tedley I was just looking at the piece of paper that came with my door seals today it says they will be hard to close and might have to be re adjusted. But over time will be not as hard to close.

29. Yes i knew that going in. I've used after crapper weather strips before and it's a crap shoot. The ones i got were so bad it was ruining my door gaps so i chucked them. Trunk strip was not bad thou.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  30. EBW

EBW

Well that's not promising for us.. keep us posted if you find a good weather stripping company.