Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just Another Roadster For Show And Go

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Feb 14, 2024.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Ill take it!

2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Little secret about me. I greatly prefer old, historic and original parts from the era over repop. I will have some repop parts on this car but there's just something special about collecting up little bits from so many race cars, show beauties and even high school street terrors of yesteryear. That said, this is STARTING as a show car (at least thats the plan) it will be hard driven but I want to try and achieve as slick and trick of a rod as I am currently capable of. The reason for this long winded explaination is my offset gen mount. Theyre about 50 bucks a piece. Tons of folks make em and loads of em are out there in better shape than mine. Mine however has been run on several cars since back in the day, it has blemishes and history and that makes me ha ha ha happay! It did come to me with a broken off ear and a crack (most likely from torquing down and not using a washer if I had to guess)
    20240212_104107.jpg 20240212_104059.jpg
    So I went ahead and had a buddy tig me up a cpl repairs. I dont have a tig setup yet
    20240222_173854.jpg 20240222_173859.jpg 20240222_173901.jpg
    So next up I will get the bastard file out and start truing it back up. Then a cpl rounds of soda blasting followed by sanding and polishing

guthriesmith, Jeff34 and 2Blue2 like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've fixed worse. Time to channel your inner Michelangelo

oliver westlund likes this.
  4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Not worried about it, I enjoy the saving of old parts. I only struggle with the line of "good enough" I want some blemishes to stay and show history but on a show car that has to be done tastefully I think. Cant look like its out of the junk bin! Also don't want to polish away all of the character though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Tow Truck Tom and Bandit Billy like this.
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You may like the Packard headlamps turned on their side

6. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

They have such a cool chrome mowhawk on em though...plus they already mount on the bottom?
    20240124_142029.jpg 20240124_142024.jpg
    Im not sold on em yet, they are very large. But I have em! I also have blc 682's, guide 682c's, as well as a few other options. Will be like trying on glasses frames at the optometrist!

Tow Truck Tom and Rickybop like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Fab some horizontal extensions from the grille shell outward?

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might rethink that early trans.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Don’t listen to Don, he doesn’t like old cars.

Moriarity and oliver westlund like this.
  10. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Its a 39 box with later gears, should be just fine for a mildly hopped up flathead :)

11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

:D:rolleyes:

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure how anyone could find that body "too rusty"! Most of us would love to start with something that solid!

13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

That was my thought as well when he sent me pics! He didnt have more than a flux core welder at the time though so it does make sense that it was beyond his abilities. I'm keeping my eyes out of the gift horses mouth either way!

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

This should be entertaining....!

15. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This reminds me of mine. Old 32 rails no crossmenber backs cut off. Swap meet body 29 body with trailer fenders and ugly taillights. A cheap 32 truck grill ,34 truck dash. A 57 265 chevy with and old Edelbrock 3 carb . Mostly swap meet parts or traded and with help with welding from a good friend. He was older than me and had built a roadster when he was 15 with the help from Pa,Ma and Grandma in 1958. If you have the will there is a way!

16. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Yours turned out awesome!! The swap meet hunting will resume when I finish and sell roadster number 1. I am trying to stay focused on whats in front of me. Hopefully titled and tagged this spring!

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not many threads I read every single post. But I was pretty much glued to yours. Best of luck with your awesome hot rod roadster!

18. Mo rust

Mo rust

If you want a rumble seat, you're probably better off with a 32 tank. Otherwise any other gas tank either eats up rumble seat room or prevents the riders from having somewhere to put their feet. On the one I built, I shortened the back of the body a few inches so it looked like the 32 tank belonged and didn't hang so low. Removing the lower bar from the bottom of the rear of your body with help remove a couple inches but I also re-bent the panel above it to remove another couple of inches. This all fits on a stock parameter 32 frame and there's room for the rumble seat above the 32 tank.

19. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Thanks Ricky!

Rickybop likes this.
  20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I have read through your build on the black roadster several times! Very cool rod! Great tip, I really appreciate it and will keep it in mind as I approach that decision. Currently I feel the need to get the chassis together and set the body on. Rear sub frame cut out as well as the seat in position so I can truly get a feel for it all. The 32 tank is still a very likely solution to the problem!

scotts52 and Tow Truck Tom like this.