Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Just another little Route 66 jaunt...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-oh, Jul 17, 2015.

1. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Just thought I'd share a few pics from the last couple of days...
    For a little background, I've always be fascinated with Route 66, and since it's just about 3 hours away to the nearest piece of it, I really wanted to take my old truck on it..
    When I discovered my wife and child were going to be out of town for a few days at a church meeting, I called my uncle who is also a car nut and made him an offer he couldn't resist- " Hey, you wanna go ride three days in a black un- air conditioned truck in 98 degree weather?" Who could resist?
    Route 66 day one 004 resize 2.jpg First stop was the local store to fill up the circa 1950's ice chest... Route 66 day one 006 resized 2.jpg Before we made it out of Arkansas, I had to stop and take a pic of this old Big Bolt- may have to try to acquire it later... Route 66 day one 015 resized.jpg Soon enough, we found Missouri, and after a little searching, Route 66... Route 66 day one 021 resized.jpg Route 66 day one 024 resized.jpg

Jacob Goodin and Model T1 like this.
  2. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

We ran around Springfield a bit, snapping pics... Route 66 day one 029 resized.jpg Route 66 day one 043resized.jpg Route 66 day one 052 resized.jpg The old truck, hangin' with a couple of rednecks... Route 66 day one 057 resized.jpg
    A poor ol' "T" locked up, probably for hangin' with those rednecks... Route 66 day one 066 resized.jpg

3. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Then we headed out of town, to enjoy Route 66 the way it should be..Yeagley Chapel, a church on 66 predating the highway by 50 years.. Route 66 day one 075 resized.jpg An old garage someone has converted into a home: Route 66 day one 081resized.jpg
    I believe this was a tavern with rooms upstairs to rent Various sources claim Bonnie and Clyde stayed here, but I don't know if any of that is true. Still a cool old ruin, though.. Route 66 day one 083 resize.jpg .

4. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

In a book on Route 66 I've read, that last picture is of an old casket company... Maybe Bonnie and Clyde stayed in one of those!!!!!

Model T1 likes this.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thanks for sharing. Looks like fun to me!

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Very cool , thanks for the pics.
    Hopefully I'll be able to repay ya 10 fold in a few months when my pop and I hit "the road" in my 49. I'm sure I'll shoot a few pics ... Or a thousand , lol !

five-oh likes this.
  7. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've got several more, but I've got to resize them. May be a day or so before I get them on here...
    That may be what it is...I've read several different claims on what the old building was...This is what I based my thoughts on, although I'm not sure where I read the Bonnie and Clyde connection..
    "The tree-invested limestone building has even been alleged to have served as a casket factory and mortuary. Apparently all that is not true though, and the fact is, according to the Springfield News Leader, it was built in 1902 by the Jackson family, with the occasional help of neighbors, with two rooms becoming a general store where families would sell produce, eggs and baked goods.

[​IMG]

The Leader reports that upstairs had a living quarters with another large room for meetings and even church services. The Jackson's also had another building, no longer standing, just across the street that served as a mortuary and undertakers parlor where caskets could be purchased, which apparently is where the confusion has come for the stone buildings past.
    http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mo-ghoststretch.html

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    arkiehotrods and Model T1 like this.
  8. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the ride. Waiting for more. :D

9. Davyj

Davyj

beautiful stretch of road there,, drove down it a few years back in our 38...........just loved it! thanks for the memories............

10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Outstanding shots and story! I hope to visit the Mother Road one day myself! Your pictures make me want to pack up and leave tonight! Can't wait to see the rest!

five-oh likes this.
  11. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

After leaving the site of the last pic- and wondering if the ivy growing there that I had put my hand in was poison oak- it wasn't , thankfully...we headed on to Halltown, where we stopped at the old mercantile. It is really showing it's age, as is the owner. I fear that its days are numbered... halltown.jpg From there, we continued to my favorite place of this stretch of road, Gay Parita. Sadly, the owner recently died, and according to the neighbor, his widow did as well. As a result, it's tied up in probate and is locked up now, but the family has plans to re-open it.. Route 66 day one 098resize.jpg Route 66 day one 095 resized.jpg Reluctantly leaving Gay Parita behind- oh, and don't miss the neighbor with a beautiful "Canned Ham" on display that I failed to get a pic of- we continued on and crossed this bridge built in 1923.. Route 66 day one 109 resized.jpg I was confused at first, because 10 years ago, when I came through on a Harley, I remembered a bridge with girders overhead too...Ah, there it is. Route 66 day one 114 resized.jpg Built in 1926, it is awesome, with a crystal clear stream trickling merrily under it..

Model T1 and Texas Webb like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Which one of you is the "Giant HAMBur"? In any case it's nice they acknowledged you. :)

[​IMG]

Model T1, 55Caddy62 and five-oh like this.
  13. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Next up- Spencer, Missouri. A tiny collection of buildings that appear to have saw some care since I came through ten years ago, they make for a perfect photo op.. Route 66 day one 117 resized.jpg Route 66 day one 118 resize.jpg We continued westward, toward Carthage, watching for directions to a place called Red Oak II, Missouri...yep, there's our sign... Route 66 day one 134 resized.jpg

Model T1 and kiwijeff like this.
  14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

If you don't know about Red Oak II- basically, the story as I understand it is that a guy moved away and apparently made more money than I have. Returning home, he found that his hometown had became a ghost town. Unable to stomach that thought, he began buying the buildings and moving them to his farm. He apparently got friends to do the same, and now there is basically a small ghost town nicely preserved to check out. it's about 4 miles off of Route 66, and well worth the drive, even though the only casualty of our trip occurred here- a derned rabbit ran out in front of the truck and was squashed flat as a pancake before I could swerve. Guess he figured if he was gonna die, it might as well be a ride with class to kill him.
    After that we found this: "Mom, I'm home"... Route 66 day one 155 resized.jpg Wait, I need gas... Route 66 day one 157 resized.jpg Route 66 day one 160 resized.jpg

Jacob Goodin and Model T1 like this.
  15. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Not being content with one old gas station, he collected another... Route 66 day one 142 resized.jpg This one, if I remember right, was originally on Route 66 and was the oldest remaining station of its style on the Route. When I came through ten years ago, it was off in an old field, sans pumps, with a fence around it, peeling paint and looking kinda tired. While I would personally preferred it to remain on the route, it does my heart good to see it shined back up..
    If you don't pay for your gas, you might wind up here: Route 66 day one 135 resized.jpg
    Which might put you here, paying a fine: Route 66 day one 145 resized.jpg You shoulda just stayed in school: Route 66 day one 147 resized.jpg

63fdsnr and Model T1 like this.
  16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

VERY COOL! Thanks for the trip.

five-oh likes this.
  17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe Bonnie and Clyde might have spent a night or two in a casket company in Gibsland, LA. Of course, neither was aware of it. Route 66 is a magnet for hotrod/streetrodders. Happy trails.

Model T1 and five-oh like this.
  18. Great stuff! Thanks for the ride. :)

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oldsjoe, don't put off your trip. My wife and I are planning on covering all the longer strips of what was/is Rte. 66. A nice drive starts just north of Kingman, Az. for over 80 miles then runs beyond Seligman, Az. If/when you take this route, expect a bit of a delay at Hackberry, Az., a gas station, former mechanic's garage-souvenir shop. Everyone there will want pictures of themselves in your car followed by plenty of conversation. We met travelers from France, Austria, Germany, and Japan. Have fun.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Model T1 and five-oh like this.
  20. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Great pics.

five-oh likes this.
  21. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've got a kid....I could use this from time to time... Route 66 day one 139 resize jail.jpg Cool trolley car turned diner, perhaps? Route 66 day one 144resize trolley.jpg Or maybe you'd just like to fly outta here- I'm not that brave. Route 66 day one 153resize flight.jpg
    After leaving, I gassed up the truck for real at the modern gas station just down the road and was immediately asked if my dad drove my truck often. Confused, I told the clerk no, that my dad was deceased. She said "Well, there's a guy up the road with a truck just like yours and I have to constantly chase him down to that old town to get him to pay me because he forgets...Sigh. A Ford is NOT like my Chevy... Route 66 day one 159 ford.jpg Shortly afterward, we found ourselves in Galena Kansas...We didn't get to explore Carthage/Joplin as much as we would've like, being as how I was trying to make sure I didn't lose the road... Route 66 day one 170 galena sign.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

terrific photo story

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Heck yea , quite enjoyable

24. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Great trip......... Thank You

Lynn W

25. Awesome, Thanks for the ride along!

26. Thanks for taking us along. HRP

27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

We took the MotherRoad trip about 10 years ago starting around Joplin. Made it all the way to the left coast. Now that I am retired we plan to do it again taking much more time along the way. Highly recommended to any one, especially car guys and gals!!!

flux capacitor likes this.
  28. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Awesome , it's on my bucket list to take our 53 all the way , potholes or not ! Great thread! Thanks. Flux

29. 5window

5window

Great trip-I've got kids in Columbia so we should be able to do the Missouri section soon. I did the Illinois part last summer, but once I retire-Chicago to LA

30. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Love these Charles Kuralt type posts! The America I grew up with and one that most urban east coast kids have no idea about. Missed them since PovertyFlats moved to FB. Thanks for posting, more please!