Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just Another 55 Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dblgun, Aug 13, 2012.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

Nice stance, I would like to see more pictures of it

2. dblgun

dblgun

Working on getting the rear stanchions and floor panels back in shape. Two of the forward supports needed to be replaced and I made a new panel from the remnants of of the old.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks for all the postings ,You say those are CJ5 springs ? I hate to sound dumb but are they fronts or rears. You don't happen to remember the lenght of them do you? Thanks again keep the build rollin.

4. dblgun

dblgun

They would be front springs for 55-75 CJ5 and will be 39 1/2 to 40" depending on the manufacture from my experience. This would make them almost 4 inches longer than CJ2/CJ3 springs.

AHotRod likes this.
  5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thank you now I know what to look for.

6. WillyB

WillyB

What kind of girdle did you use on the 288? I saw long studs
    and figured there was a reason?

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cool !!! ..... a 288 SBC .... man that brings back SWEET memories!

The '55 is way cool .... keep the BIG pictures coming and the story.

8. dblgun

dblgun

No girdle used in the motor, the main studs were used because I had them and they have the standoffs for a windage/diamond stripper. I have never had a problem with the bottom end in a small journal sbc, I know that there has been issues but have to wonder if the majority of the issues were due to a longer stoke being added. This engine was built with a great deal of what was left over from other builds in the last years. The cylinder heads were the only "splurge" and I justified them by figuring out what I would have invested in a set of 1.94 double hump heads. When you consider the time and money invested I still think I'm ahead with the Brodix heads. They definitely made more power than the factory head would have but you lose the coolness factor of the early double hump heads.

9. dblgun

dblgun

Getting the rear package tray, seat closeout panel and shelf made and fitted. Not real sexy stuff but time consuming. Also attempted to get the windshield and back glass back in. The gasket for the rear glass was wrong and I broke the windshield getting the gasket on so the day ended with me fully pissed off.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. dblgun

dblgun

A few pics

Attached Files:

11. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I broke the first windshield I bought for my 56 too while trying to install it. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like that does:(

I like the 288 idea that's pretty cool. Good call on the Brodix heads. Retro is cool to a point, but cylinder head technology is so good these days for Chevys especially, it's a waste not to take advantage. Those heads gotta be worth at least 50hp over a set of ported 461's, even with small valves. Keep at it man!! I've liked this car from the start now you gotta finish it!!

12. WillyB

WillyB

From Ralph Ridgeway.. a set of Mondello heads was the hot tip
    in '66. The modern day flow benches show 280 intake and 250 ex
    for the old iron 461X heads (got 3 sets, not ported and Joe died in
    2012, I think). Fully welded and epoxied, they would go 300 intake
    at .7 lift. I was going to use the Dart 230 cast iron heads with the 49cc
    chambers because they almost matched what Ralph ran... the exhaust
    was down a lot and would have needed major work to match the old
    Mondello 461Xs flow. For 23 degree heads, they were doing fine in the
    1960s.

13. dblgun

dblgun

Yeah Kev, I moved that windshield 50 times over the last few years only to crack it putting the new gasket on! The 288 made 393 hp and 342 lb/ft. with the Holley 300-2 and a single Holley. It should easily push over the 400 number with the 2x4 tunnel ram. The cylinder heads along with the more modern camshaft made a huge difference.

WillyB, I have a set of Mondello heads and the pair I have would not flow anywhere near those figures. I also have a pair of AFR's that flow 300+ at .700 and they are night and day difference over a 461x casting. I doubt even the best of Jenkins heads in the early to mid 70's would have flowed much better than 300. All that being said for a street engine flow at .200-.450 was much more important to me because max lift is only seen once. If I could have had the head with no accessory bolt holes and a pair of double humps on them they would have been perfect in both ways.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    powrshftr likes this.
  14. WillyB

WillyB

Yup, the stock 461X heads would flow about 180 and 135 with the 1.94 and 1.5 valves.
    With a 4 inch bore, everything cleared. And back then, a .640 lift was insane.

15. dblgun

dblgun

16. dblgun

dblgun