Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just Another 5-Window Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Jul 13, 2015.

1. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

That's a great body to start with Tom. Looking forward to seeing this completed. Will be following this thread.

2. Thanks, man ......

3. scotti32

scotti32

Great project. Looking forward to the build

4. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

And you'll drive it out to Bonneville when? :) Looks bichin Tom. Wayno

5. pumpman

pumpman

Damn, that body is just plain beautiful. Will follow along and watch the progress.

6. That's a great body Tom congrats.

7. Thanks, gents - hey Wayno, how's that flattie Bonneville car doing? When I return to Bonneville I'm looking forward to seeing you run ....

Low Beam likes this.
  8. frame - 11.jpg
    frame - 12.jpg
    frame - 13.jpg The frame has been blasted ...

9. Looks good Tom.HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Will be eagerly watching this go together.

11. Had another good "build day" today - jacksandeuces came over to help me swap the new body off of the body dolly I borrowed from Jack onto the wooden dolly I made on Friday. I was hoping to get a little more help but with Jack having had so much experience on his side, we got it almost up onto the new dolly when my neighbor Dennis showed up for that extra hand we needed to get it done. The dolly puts the body at a good height and it will fit under my loft area as well.

misc - 6.jpg
    misc - 7.jpg

After shooting the breeze for awhile with Jack, Dennis, and a another hot rodder Lanny who stopped by, I got to work on my front end. This setup I got with the original project. I needed to swap out the 46-48 Ford setup for the f-100 I'm using along with longer shackle bolts to utilize lower shock bolt bracket. I all ready had some nice hubs I picked up from bloodyknuckles that my buddy Johnny C redrilled for 4.5" bolt pattern. I installed new inner bearings, race, and seal, and used the stock outer bearings that were all ready there as they are in excellent shape. She's ready to be placed under my chassis. Now we can line up the wishbones to locate the bungs needed for the wishbone tie rod ends I'm going to use. I have yet decided whether to run them on the outside of the framerail or do some kind of split mounts underneath at the K-member. I need to be careful as the Buick has the starter on the driver side right in that area along with exhaust, steering, and clutch workings ....

frame - 14.jpg
    frame - 15.jpg

oliver westlund and volvobrynk like this.
  12. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Tom, how about like this...

Attached Files:

13. Jack, you know how short I am - would I be looking over or UNDER the steering wheel with this chop? LOL!

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

That is a great start. I kept looking at that body in the classifieds.

15. Not much went on today - life takes precedence sometimes. But I try and do something every day. Here are a couple pics of the frame epoxy primed .....

frame - 16.jpg
    frame - 17.jpg

My buddy Ross texted me about some parts and mentioned some original rear frame horns for a 32 frame he had. We texted for a bit more and he offered them to me if I wanted them. Using them was not in his plans. All I had to do is to cut them off the frame - hell yes! The one is a little damaged but there's enough of the remaining portion of my frame to cut it in nicely. Things are coming together!

frame - 19.jpg
    frame - 18.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  16. Worked on mocking up the rear today, cleaned up the 9" housing to get it ready for sandblasting, and worked on the rear frame horns installs but I have a question ....

While trying to install rear frame horns on my 32 frame and I was wondering if there any measurement errors on the Wescott diagram? Things do not seem to be adding up right. I know for one that the pass frame rail body bolt holes are not correct or at least not according to my body, as the body bolt holes are not in the same locations dimensionally on both sides between the k-member and the rear crossmember.

Any other issues with the diagram I need to be aware of, the rear frame horn dimensions in particular? Just want to be sure ...

On my roadster I have checked the two frame horn dimensions from the axle centerline, 10 3/4 and 17 1/4 adding up to 28, and it's 28 5/8 on the pass side, 28 1/2 on the driver and my gas tank fits well. Any problems using my roadster dimensions (it seems to work well there - gas tank fits well) vs the diagram?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    oliver westlund likes this.
  17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Looking forward to watching this come together.

18. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Tom, check your P.M. s Mark.

19. WOW!!
    How did you find out about the body being for sale? I must have missed it.

ps: Colonial Williamsburg is one of my favorite places to go. We were just there in May.

20. Sorry for no updates lately - been on the road, traveling, etc, so there's been little time for any real progress. When time permitted, I have been working on the rear backing plates by getting them all cleaned up, painted, and stuffed with new internals, got my rear spring cleaned up, ready, and set into the frame (it's a 40 front spring), I am waiting for some parts, and got the 9" housing all ready for blasting next week. I also have a template from jacksandeuces for the axle brackets to connect the 36 rear radius rods - hope to have them to the water jet guys shop next week to make up a few sets. Again, it was only some 'chopped up' garage time but I tried to make the best of it.

In order to have a rolling frame for the frame straightening shop I will use the FE I am going to use for the car but mount the banjo rear setup that came with the project just to move things along. Depending on when the frame shop is ready, the car could have the 9" setup but at least I will not have to rush things.

hotroda - I saw the body for sale here on the HAMB but that was it. I had to search back quite a ways in the for sale section to find it when I decided to talk to the owner about it. Don't know if it ever had a "ttt" put on it to be truthful.

zzlegend - thanks!

Will keep y'all posted when things happen as I am back on it ....

oliver westlund likes this.
  21. Finally got some decent updates with pictures. Here's what's happened and what is going on ...
    • rear and rear frame horns have been blasted
    • rear brakes are all ready
    • picking up a cracked Buick block that has heads and valve covers on it to use for mock up tomorrow - thanks Joe D for the loan of the block.
    • looking to have some frame rail made up so I can strengthen the frame while still using the remains of my k-member
    • I am also replacing the dropped flooring under the seat of the body with a flat floor - this just eliminates a lot of issues the dropped floor causes
    • water jet guy is working up getting the brackets cut
    • went over by jacksandeuces again to take a look at his jig to setup the 9" rear, 36 rear radius rods, and a 40 front spring. Will be starting my own jig build next week ...
    • the frame is now a roller with the banjo rear that was underneath the car when I bought the original project. The 9" setup may be under the frame but it all depends on when the frame shop can take me
    Having fun boys, I am having fun ....

frame - 20.jpg
    frame - 21.jpg
    frame - 22.jpg
    frame - 23.jpg
    frame - 24.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  22. brady1929

brady1929

23. Go Tom Go, I would love to see you driving that coupe on the All Deuce Run next year! HRP

24. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Looks like you might be able to make the Moonshine Fest the maiden run.

25. HRP - I would love to make the run next year in this car. My present plan is the LA rdstr show, the NSRA Nats in pueblo, and rt 66 home. Just a small jaunt to break her in!

No, no Moonshine run this year, Chuck - way too much to do yet! But if I could clone myself ....

Thanks, Brady ...

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paying attention. The HAMB at its best.

27. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Looking good Tom!

28. Looking good. Subscribed

29. Thanks Brerhair, Alpo - I appreciate it.

Merlin - how are you, man? Hope all is well with you and yours ...

30. Great job, good thread!! Sure like the Nailhead.