Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just a thought on the dreaded "R" word

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan63, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Driving a car with flat paint is like letting your gold chain tarnish

2. teisco

teisco

In 1960 my Ford was flat black and white and I called it a Custom..Yes there where flat black cars in the late 50's and early 60's and they where called Rods, not Rat Rods.

[​IMG]

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

all the vast knowledge and experience here... and this is one of the topics on the front page

[​IMG]

4. I'm 52 and have been around cars for 52 of those years. As a pinstriper, I've evntured into the opsycholgy of what makes people tick when it comes to the style of car they want to drive. I've seen it all and although that vehicle I do may not be my style, I never dis-respect that person for what he or she likes. I mean that is what made this industry and hobby that we make our livings from and love to be involved what it is in the first place. Personally I would hate to stripe the same kind of car every day. That's why I never do car dealer work, they have no imagination and are 100% boring and always think what they say is right.

One thing I do know is that most of us want to be different but at the same time connected to a particular group that serves up similar recipes. In other words, no matter what you are trying to do that sets you apart from the maddening crowd, most people are in one way or another copying what someone else is already doing. Cars we drive reflects our personalites. No matter if you drive a Porsche, Vette, street rod, custom VW, a fat rod or rat rod. What we do with that car tells others who we are or what we want them to think we are. Like F'd up politics, there really is no solution to the issue except be glad that we can drive what we want. For now anyway.

I'll just say this...drive what you want, do it the way you want, paint it any way you want, spend all the money you want on it, call it any name you want and just do what you like and enjoy what you got. I've found that by doing my cars the way I want makes life so much better.

Let's allow each other to drive what they want and have fun.

Mikey Did it
    "I do bad things to good cars"

5. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

See the world is full of things that are just "terms"... one of which could get you shot if you let it slip in the wrong neighborhood.

My 3 favorite car terms that are applied to quite a few things (also three of the most controversial car terms)...

Rat Rod-anything primered, unfinished, rusty, old

Donk-pretty simple, anything with big wheels...even though a Donk is a '71-76 Impala or Caprice...nothing else

Ricer-anything imported...even if it is done tastefully.

Oh and bonus one for the HAMB, aside from Rat Rod is Volkswagen..for some reason everyone here has an issue with them, even though there's all sorts of other foriegn shit that people let fly...but don't post your damn Volkswagen!!

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

DEAD horse...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.