Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just a suggestion...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongeorge, Jun 30, 2013.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"I'll just give this a quick lick with a loose buff and some tripoli to see if the sanding scratches are gone".
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

May I suggest that safety glasses are not the best choice when using a 10" cotton buff on a 3/4 hp stand-up buffer, even if you have been "doing this shit for 20 years". This would look ten times worse if, once I regained conciousness I hadn't spent the next hour on the couch with a frozen rack of ribs on my face. Next time, I'll take the extra time to grab my face shield.
    Oh, and no headlight doors were harmed in the making of this message.

2. What happened? Pad fly off?

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Stand-up buffer. Hooked the piece and fired it into my face. Hit so hard, when I first got up, I thought I'd fractured my eye socket again...:rolleyes:

4. Model A Nut

Model A Nut

Holy crap, sounds like you survived will minor damage. Good luck for that. Great advice!!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

.......only word I saw.....:rolleyes:

Glad u r ok George.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  6. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

At least you were wearing some eye protection. That's more than a lot of folks do and end up paying a terrible price. Glad it wasn't worse than it was in your case, and thanks for the safety tip and reminder of how quickly things can go bad.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Let us know how those ribs taste....;)
    Glad your ok dude...:)
    Ditto on using a face shield...
    I use one at work when I'm going nutz with a die grinder...

8. pastlane

pastlane

Glad you survived!

One time I was polishing a piece of aluminum for a race car interior. 4" square x .032 thick. Buffing wheel hooked it and embedded it into a wood door. Since then it's gloves, heavy shirt with long sleeves and a full face shield. As simple as some of this stuff is, it can get scary real fast.

9. Glad you weren't seriously injured,,it only takes a second for a accident to happen.

This post may make someone rethink there action next time they turn on the buffer. HRP

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd picked & filed some damage out of an aluminum headlight door, then sanded it smooth down to 600. It was one of those deals where I had the right wheel on there already, with some tripoli compound on it, and thought "well, I'll just make a couple quick passes over the area that I worked, if it looks ready for buffing, then I'll stop and hunt up my face shield" I dont know about the rest of you, but when something buffs up all nice and shiny, I find it hard to stop. Next thing you know WHAM!! Lights out! Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting too old for this shit...:p:p;):rolleyes:
    But seriously, yea, face shield. if I hadn't have been wearing glasses (even I'm not THAT foolhardy) theres no doubt I would have lost an eye. Seriously.

Oh, and Deuces, yea, those ribs will be hitting the grill tomorrow afternoon, assuming I dont manage to put myself in the hospital by then...:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

the last time involved a rather large Irish girl with substantial "assets", a rather large friends unrequited love for said irish girl, and too many beers and a lack of discretion on my part...:p;)

12. jimbanner

jimbanner

Yeah, I can see where that could leave a mark.......

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, really. I think what really tripped his trigger was when I said "hell, you aint missin' much anyway":p

14. Is that call supplying the ass for an ass kicking party? LOL

Glad to hear your accident won't be leaving any major scars.
    Worst fight I ever got into with a buffer involved a fish fillet knife and the back of my hand. Boss was standing watching me polish a prototype knife blade, it got away from me and I sliced a half dollar sized piece of skin off the back of my hand. (it was hanging on by a little corner) Boss said, I guess I'd better take you to the emergency room, because I don't have any thread to sew it back on for you. Cool dude! When the doctor got a look at it, he wanted to know what kind of a knife I had used. Told me that the knives they used for harvesting skin grafts didn't do that good a job. He sewed it back on to my hand and I don't even have a scar. Sure bled like hell for a while though!

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's weird, my shit always hits the floor. You spinnin' your buffer backwards? :)

Glad you're OK.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^no guard, I assume it went about 1/2 way around, came off the top of the wheel and clocked me good...

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, that's always a quality remark in the right room! Glad to hear your not dead yet, but are ya always so blurry?

18. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

ahhhhhhh the ol "lack of discression"

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Dang! Glad this wasn't a help out a fellow H.A.M.B.er sticky instead. Wonder if it'll be a shiner in the mornin'.

20. Damn George, that won't buff out! Was the large friend anyone I know?:rolleyes: I get after techs at work, all the time about taking the time to use the right safety equipment, and do they appreciate it? NO! Take care man!

21. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! That's what I'd like to know...:D More pictures in the morning...:D;)

22. stimpy

stimpy

this is one of the reasons why my wife keeps frozen vegtables in the bag at home , frozen peas work best for facial injuries . not that I am a clod , just the ghost of Tim Taylor haunts my garage ..

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was when I took that photo!! I was still shaking the cobwebs out.:p:p

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It wasn't Dennis. That leaves you with one guess, and I bet you can get it right...;):D We kissed and made up after.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, let me put it this way. You know what a mandrills ass looks like?:p Hell, I'm always game for being a laughing stock, another pic will follow.

26. rick finch

rick finch

Well, it sure didn't improve your looks...:rolleyes:

...glad you're okay George.:)

27. xwing01

xwing01

I literally just picked up a face shield at Harbor Freight over the weekend... $5 well spent, now I just have to make myself use it...

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, for the entertainment of Rick, Don, Louie, LSAA, and the rest of you guys...

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The photo doesnt really do it justice, fails to depict the rather attractive band of jaundice yellow extending from the purple band up to the brow ridge...:p How ya doing Rick? health good? Send me a pm.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn man! That looks good on you! I see your not nearly as blurry today either. Looks like it coulda been tons worse. I went through a hard wheel explosion in May that sent me into an eye doctor to pull crap out of both eyes. Fun Fun Fun!

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never had something whip around and come after me while buffing. guess I'll have to go get a face shield.