Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just A Big Model (T)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BigJoeArt, Oct 4, 2022.

1. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

This is a thread to document the joys and challenges of building my early T roadster.

I've wanted an early T roadster ever since I saw Eric Anderson's original build thread on here.

A few weeks ago my buddy Dan in St Louis was selling a bunch of Model T parts, I messaged him, which led to a spontaneous-next-day trip to St louis.

I was really only interested in the early t body, but had to buy all of it. (and as of writing still have a 26-7 touring to sell)

Once home I couldn't help myself and by the next night I was planning and mocking up.

As I started walking around my shop and dragging out all the early t parts that I have slowly been accumulating over the years, it started to look like something. (I also stole some parts from projects laying around the shop)

The next week was spent scouring Marketplace and convincing my buddies into helping drag parts in from all over.

I found an S10 rear end with disc brakes, and it started looking like a car!

I had to sit in it to determine how I wanted things placed, and to make motor noises.

Just for scale, this has all been happening in the back corner of my shop so far, while I work on a trike motor for a friend, and store all my stuff.

2. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Once the next weekend rolled around, I had to go to Kansas City (a little over an hour away) to pick up engine parts for the aforementioned trike project, and while in the city, lined up a few parts for the T project.

I picked up a new Vega box (to be misused into traditional steering), and the guy had a stock 2 barrel manifold off a 283, with a running small base Rochester carb, that I could have for free! Score!

I also was able to pick up a cheap aluminum radiator, and a buddy brought by a stock late t firewall for me to adapt.

Starting to look like a thing..

I then continued the mockup, digging out my T5 and bellhousing.

by this point I stopped working on the T , to knock out building the motor for the trike.

Unkl Ian, catdad49, attitudor and 6 others like this.
  3. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

The moment I rolled the trike out and fired it up, I immediately started moving T parts to its spot,
    including the TT truck rails that I had squirreled away for it.
    a buddy came over and knocked all the guts out of a sbc I had in the corner, in preparation to be mounted in the car.
    I didnt get any pictures of the motor going into the chassis, mostly cause it was a calamity, and also cause I moved it like 14 times till it was in the right spot.
    I also wanted to see how it felt with two people in it.
    Packed in for the night.
    Ive had this dash in my display case, or on a shelf since high school.

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Let's gooo! This is going to be a good one.

catdad49, winduptoy and Budget36 like this.

5. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

With the motor and trans in place I started mocking up the steering and clutch linkage,
    I'm planning on using a set of swing pedals and a manual clutch linkage.
    I found this piece of Sheetmetal (tractor maybe?) that when cut in half was perfect to fit the cowl to the frame without pinching the frame.
    I mounted the steering box on its side, so as to use traditional steering.
    aren't plasma cutter's magical?
    Then I started to load up to go to Oklahoma for the gathering at the roc, and like always, I had multiple other deals tied into the trip.

AHotRod, winduptoy, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  6. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

So I packed up my Tamale wagon, and got ready to go on wednesday night.
    I was delivering a track nose to Flat top bob, who would then take it to Ben D in texas.
    I had an uneventful trip from a mechanical point of view, and met lots of people from Instagram and the HAMB.
    Photo by @J.Ukrop
    I had been following Mark Gadberry and his dad, Dave, thrash on this thing in preparation for the show, and after some late nights, they made it. he took me for a ride late saturday night, and it got me all pumped up to get back home and work on the T.
    around the same time, a package showed up thanks to @redzula
    So I strapped it down and went back to my plush accommodations.
    Sunday morning i went on the 300 mile journey home, this time with a sweet spoiler!
    This brings us up to now, yesterday I worked on some front suspension, but had to stop awaiting an order I made to speedway.

redzula, tomkelly88, AHotRod and 12 others like this.
  7. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Thanks for pushing me to start a thread buddy.

AHotRod, winduptoy, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  8. Anderson

Anderson

Those rear hairpins are very Dick Williams
    459EADDC-7C5E-4DCE-82BC-BAB8159F0B7D.jpeg

9. Anderson

Anderson

Best shot I could find showing how the spring perches were in the axle on the second one.
    IMG_1868.JPG

Vic Walter, Jet96, AHotRod and 10 others like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

#theroc23nobust

redzula, Sancho, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  11. Glad you're doing a build thread. I'm loving the profile!

winduptoy and BigJoeArt like this.
  12. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

#gatheringoftheroadsters2023

Thanks Dan, hope to have more pictures up today, its in pretty complete mockup phase now.

Sancho, guthriesmith and Tim like this.
  13. junkman8888

junkman8888

If you want to have room for your feet (and pedals) add 6" to the length of the cowl, you can make one cowl out of two or adapt the cowl from a 26-27 sedan/coupe. Lack of feet room is the only serious issue with the Anderson car. Best of luck with your project, looks great so far.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Joey likes cramped spaces he’ll be ok.

his blue car shown is so small that when he drives he can use both sides arm rests at the same time. TINY little car 2C7F9313-6350-4E84-B368-4F3B1680AA19.jpeg

Vic Walter, Jet96, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  15. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

lol! @Tim in that picture I'm actually using my left foot to work the throttle, and resting my right foot. That's the 'spread out' position!

billybones, winduptoy, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  16. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Big news! Or at least, wide news.

I believe that headers set the tone for the car, and so i went with a set of headers that are kinda in your face. they will look even better when I run the slicks on the back.

I also mocked up the rear deck, and got a feel for wheelbase.

With the headers came in a new set of spindles and hairpins, so I can start assembling the front end with the real parts, not just mockup pieces. (the front hairpin/bones are for another car, One day. )

Also in the order was some shackles so I can put together my quarter elliptical setup. I've been cutting the front frame rails up for it, I just have to decide how I want the front axle attached to the perch.
    This is just a mockup of it, I have more figuring and testing to do.

GuyW, Vic Walter, 2Blue2 and 7 others like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol I noticed after I posted it

18. Watching your build thread.
    Thanks.

19. Collin Benoit

Collin Benoit

Isn’t it always?

BigJoeArt likes this.
  20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice proportions on your build.
    I'm just wondering what the distance is between front and rear axles???
    I guess that is called the wheel base.
    Keep up the good work,

21. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

hey, thanks Russ! Im still figuring out the exact wheelbase, but it is mocked up right at 100 inches.

winduptoy, fiftyv8 and AndersF like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Your shop is resembling mine: That is, 3 hot rods (Ts, one and all!) still in setup forms, '27 roadster on Deuce rails, '27 T tub on 'A' rails, '27 Coupester stacked up...
    O.T. BMW R60 motorcycle w/1600 VW engine (!)
    Building a 283 Chev engine and a '46 59A flattie, first T to need it gets the flathead...(my tub)

BigJoeArt likes this.
  23. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

The other day I started to build the front spring crossmember, and as I am running Quarter ellipticals, its a little funky and I had some trial and error to sort through.

ever wonder why people use traditional spring over/behind setups?

because they work and are easy.

If you hate yourself and like the feel of your head banging against concrete, try quarter ellipticals!

I started with a set of the speedway springs, that come with everything to just weld the nifty bracket to the side of your frame and have a happy life.
    but if you , like me, are constantly trying to 'out-trick' yourself, you may decide they have to go in the frame so as to hide from the world.
    So I did some rough measurements and started welding a tube to the spring ... perches?
    anyway, I placed it in the frame after welding it solid (don't solid weld mock up parts, learn from my mistakes) and of course it hit everything, the shackles hit the radiator, the springs hit the frame, all bad stuff.
    So I did the only sensible thing, I cut it apart...
    And then promptly got distracted by shiny things.
    I don't know where this axle is from, but it is HEAVY.
    I then re-mocked up the spring perch crossmember, and after more frame rail hacking, figured out where the perches needed to be on the axle.
    we mocked it all up, and then promptly disassembled everything off the axle, so my buddy can mill some holes and TIG in the perches.

We plan to actually assemble the front axle and suspension on Monday, and attempt to set the car down on the springs. hopefully my measurements work right.

AHotRod, winduptoy, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  24. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

the bad part is, Mike, this is only part of my garage. currently in the other part I have most of the parts for another T, a C-cab/panel body, two vw bugs, and no less than 7 motors.

I may have it bad... ;)

and then there's the two lofts.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

winduptoy, Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wonder if you could put the perch pins in upside down and use them for a lower shock mount?

mount them behind the axle and use a headlight mount upper and it would all kinda tuck away.

Don’t know if you’d have room to hide friction shocks behind the grill shell and hide them ala rolling bones. Sure you’ll figure something out to to keep it looking like it’s just floating there

winduptoy and Outback like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

<<the bad part is, Mike, this is only part of my garage. currently in the other part I have most of the parts for another T, a C-cab/panel body, two vw bugs, and no less than 7 motors.

I may have it bad... ;)

and then there's the two lofts.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:>>

O.K., Big Joe... I'll see your 2 VWs, and raise you 1 more; On the hot rods, I have a '23 turtle all apart, a 'glass '27 R/PU apart;
    Engines, there's 5 flatheads, 1 Chrys hemi, 1 DeSoto hemi, 3 SBCs, 1 454 Chev, and 2 BMW car engines: (2 liter types with Weber and DeLorto intakes, 4 VWs, 1600 & 2 larger, and a dual carb Datsun 118!

I would commit sins for your lofts!!!

Really like your T project, but please consider mounting your front axle more 'traditionally'...If you MUST 'hide-a-spring', possibly shackle a transverse leaf between the wishbones, about 3"?
    Feel like I'm preaching to the choir...:eek::D

winduptoy, Sancho and BigJoeArt like this.
  27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

100 inches sounds workable.
    It looks real nice in the side view at 100".

BigJoeArt likes this.
  28. I like the way this is starting out and will be following along Joey! Oh, and good hanging out with you at the Gathering at the Roc. :cool: It was cool seeing the tamale wagon all over too. Even with our trip to the ER Friday night, the weekend was still good. :D

BBFA5E56-B190-45BC-91F9-A1BDE1D354F0.jpeg

brEad, Vic Walter, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  29. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Fresh back from a weekend with my wife's family in Iowa, I called a couple buddies to come over on Monday and help out, thanks to the holiday.

we started off when mike got there and brought the axle back to me, with beautiful TIG welds holding the perches in, you will note he poked them all the way through and welded the front sides. he said the axle was at least 1/4" wall.
    nearly as soon as he handed me the axle I had it bolted up for a test fit, and i quickly cut the ends of the framerails off to clear, and after some time spent double checking the frame for squareness, i laid a couple heavy tacks on the crossmember.
    at this point i was on a roll and decided to tack the center crossmember in better and start mocking up the rearend.
    to properly line up the wheelbase we set it at 100" and clamped the axle to the frame rails with a 2x4 spacer.
    then we ROLLED it outside.
    we had to roll the rearend forward a few inches to where it looked right, so its somewhere under 100" wheelbase. I also had to hop in and try out the space. I'm excited to start figuring out pedals and foot placement. I always like a challenge.
    with the fun part done, it was back inside to start building the rear crossmember and spring perch area.
    As you can see I'm doing the same technique on the rear that I did on the front, build a crossmember (measured better this time) and set it in the chassis, this time attached to a set of coilover style perches. once the ride is set I'll cut the tube down and weld it in so the nut engages.
    Once the rearend is clean of all brackets and crust-y-ness I will mount the perches and cut the rear of the frame off. then I'm one hairpin mount (per side) away from a full roller.

needless to say im stoked.

catdad49, attitudor, redzula and 10 others like this.