Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yard problems with terminalogy ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Aug 31, 2006.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

Ok, heres the deal. I found a junkyard in Mo. that said they had my part, passenger side quarter window for my 2 door hardtop Buick. They sent me the wing window from the passenger door. wtf. I contact the junk yard and tell them its the wrong part. They say that the wing window is technically called the quarter window. ... Is this correct? I thought the quarter window was the glass above the quarter panel just behind the door. Who is right?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

You should have asked for the back side window IMO.

3. Your correct . The wing window is more commonly called the vent glass. In my time I have never used any other description for either part.This is typical BS from a wrecking yard that doesnt want to deal with proper business practices, training . or someone that just does not want to take any responsiblity for their actions. Their actions speak louder than their words. Find another yard and dont give them anything sharp to play with.

Larry

4. raffman

raffman

I'll never forget the time my buddy called the local junkyard for a price on a "front end " for a 62 comet, that he wadded the night before.Guy gave him a really low price and said he could deliver to the garage that we worked at. Well it shows up alright but is exactly that ,the steering assembly,a arms with drums drag link ,etc. He got a lesson in terminology: front end is not a front clip!

5. leadsled01

leadsled01

Ya, but whats the proper term?? Did I screw up or did they screw up?? If its my improper term then I'll eat it, if its there improper term I'm gonna get the can of whoop ass.

6. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I'd see if they have the actual part you need and would cut you a bit of a deal on it if you eat the wing window.

If not, I guess you've got an extra. Where is the yard in MO?

7. leadsled01

leadsled01

Missoula Mt... sorry about that.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I just pulled out my old Hollander's Interchange.

This is what is listed under glass

Windshld; Fr. Door; Rr. Door; Fr. Vent; Rr. Qtr or Vent; Back

The notes read "The column headed 'Rr. Qtr. or Vent' covers quarter, quarter vents and rear door vent glass."

Since salvage yards use Hollanders, especially if they're dealing in old parts, it seems to me you're dealing with some not-too-bright fellas.

9. leadsled01

leadsled01

Thanks, that helps alot. Sort of both our faults.

10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Having been in the collision industry for the past 40 years, here's the deal.

A quarter glass is mounted in/on the quarter panel area. Some are fixed into position and some are moveable. On many 4 door vehicles, there is a fixed (triangular shaped) glass behind the moveable window, which is normally called a stationary door glass.

Vent glass is typically located in the front door, in front of the side glass.

It sounds to me as though you ordered correctly, and they just don't know the proper terminology. Terminology is very important. I had hired a guy a few years ago (claimed he was a bodyman) and as he was unloading his tools, he pointed to a shiney jap 5" air grinder and said, "I bought a new D-A yesterday." He was fired on the spot. Don't need to ask someone to D-A a fender and have them hit it with a grinder.

Modern salvage yards have kind of adopted a "standard" list of part nomenclature. If you go to www.carpart.com , you can view the various terms. Good luck. Stu

11. DrJ

DrJ

Now that IS confusing, and has been ever since guys started "clipping" front suspensions and frames on to modify cars.
    A front end clip is/was the bolt-on sheet metal!

If you told me you wanted a front clip with no further details I'd send you all the sheet metal from the grill to the firewall, fenders, hood, grill, etc.
    I think the difference in terminology would come into play if the supplier asked what body trim level you wanted or power or manual steering on that "clip" (subframe?) :rolleyes:

12. squirrel

squirrel

clip? we always called the front fenders/hood assembly a doghouse.....

but that was back when most of them unbolted as one piece

13. leadsled01

leadsled01

so I am correct!!! Thanks!!!

14. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

happens all of the time.

you should have asked more questions and the yard guy should have asked more also.

to me you should have asked for a 1/4 glass!

everyone has different names, travell around the USA some and you will see different names of items from place to place.

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

leadsled01, you are definitely correct.

The glass you were looking for on your car (a two door) is the quarter window. If you had a four door, the same piece of glass would then become the rear door glass.

If you had a 55 Chevy four door, the quarter window would be the fixed glass behind the rear door.

If you had a 54 Dodge four door, the quarter window would be the vent window on the rear door.

The quarter window is not the vent on the front door.

16. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

If glass for your car is hard to find I think I'd keep the vent glass (they tend to brake or be broken) and get the quarter window too. This shit keeps getting more expensive every day.