Register now to get rid of these ads!

junk yard cruise control

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oface, Feb 28, 2012.

1. oface

oface

I wanted to put cruise control on my 58 Ford p/u with a carb. 302/c-4. I was thinking about going to the local pick&pull, and looking around to see what they had.
    I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what make and model would be a good starting point.

2. 416Ford

416Ford

Would look at 70's motor homes if you can. I had two of them that had add on cruise when I owned them. These run a magnet I believe on the drive shaft and run off a vacuum canister.
    If I am wrong someone will correct me for sure. :)

3. Yeah, you want an add-on one. The factory ones are usually vaccuum and a pain to set up, and the newer cars use an electronic one - I never was able to determine if the computer runs it or not, but at the least it needed a signal from a vehicle speed sensor to operate.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A lot of late model cruise control systems are integrated with the PCM.

5. a couple of years ago i bought an audiovox add on unit for about $80

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

You could use one thats like a choke cable. Some stuff have a throttle control for a pto and stuff.

7. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Believe it or not I installed an old Sears brand on my old truck. Piece of cake. Check Ebay.

8. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I used an aftermarket cruise unit from JC "ripme" some years ago on a chevy van. used a magnet on the drive shaft and senser. had a very small control panel with switches (@1-1/2" x 2" x 1/2" thick) worked great and very inexpensive. would use one again if needed.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I have a Sears unit new in the old box....got it off ebay a few years ago.

I put a kinda new Rostra GlobalCruise in my 57 chevy truck, works good. I used a clamp on control switch like the one that came in the old Sears setup. btw the Sears was really a Perfect Circle cruise, later bought out by Rostra