Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yard admission fee?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Feb 25, 2012.

1. This. Heck, it is probably the cheapest entertainment admission fee out there.

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Old Heap

Old Heap

The PickNPull here charges a buck, but I've pretty much given up on making the trip. Folks rip good stuff to shreds getting access to what they were looking for.

3. 59 brook

59 brook

please tell me where in south florida you find all the old parts at the u pick it the one on 441 has a bunch of v6 camaro's a few mid 80's caddys and buicks and just about every toyohondanissan you could want. been going there since they opened and never saw anything american worth buying

Model T1 likes this.
  4. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

$2.00 to get in today and a S 10 T-5 for $80.00. I don't have a problem with that.

Model T1 likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, it would most likely take care of some of the theft problem and maybe keep out the guys who tear up a 100.00 part to steal something worth 1.00.
    One of my friends says he has never sold a gas cap in 30 years of owning the same wrecking yard but he will defy you to find a gas cap on a rig that is in the part that the public has access to. He has three areas in the yard. The no access really good stuff, the fairly good stuff and the get it before we crush it area that he lets people pull their own parts. That works pretty well for him.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I only wish I could have charged admission to walk through my yard. Back in the 80's I had a yard full of 40's and 50's cars. A lot of people have forgotten about the Recession during the Reagan years. History always repeats itself. I might have been able to make a wage off of all the tire kickers who never bought anything, broke parts, and stole whatever they could find. I make it a priority to always buy something when I go to a yard, even if I don't need it. The day is coming fast, when we won't have any yards. No yards, equals no parts to fix your daily driver. This means you are forced to buy a new car. The local yards have all closed on Saturdays. Why would you close on the busiest day of the week? The amount of scrap being hauled in now makes me sick. Yet when you try to sell an old car now, everyone wants it for less than scrap price. I am through ranting now.

Model T1 likes this.
  7. charlieb66

charlieb66

bdotson posted about a "junk" yard, damm, if it junk why go in the first place. All respondents are posting about auto salvage parts yards. There is a VW salvage yard nearby that charges $20 "just looking" fee, if you buy something you get a credit.

8. Kaline

Kaline

The U-Pull-It yards around Detroit (Parts Galore, Scrap Busters) charge $1 & check your ID to get in and walk around. I see it as a method for them to weed out people who are not there to buy. These yards stock mostly lower-end later model cars (1980-2000), but occasionally get in an older car. I have not problem paying the fee, as both companies keep their yards neat (crushed concrete base, all cars on jackstands) and organized my manufacturer. It is rare that I walk out empty handed: I always find something I want to pull and buy. Heck, I went in there once to buy a headlight switch for my 1990 Olds Cutlass and walked out with 3 headlight switches & interior trim for the Cutlass and a VW Bus 5-rib transmission for my buddy's sandrail, all for under $80!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    Model T1 likes this.
  9. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Went to the local GreenLeaf last week to look for some nice seats willing to pay
    some good bucks if I found something I liked.
    Not only would they not let me in to look, nor would they look at their inventory, they said if I wanted to buy I take what they have without inspection for the "unit value" whatever that means!
    I guess they only sell to body shops.

10. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

$2 sounds awfully resonable to me. = cup of coffee and a doughnut

Model T1 likes this.
  11. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

detroit has 2 'parts galore', they charge $1 to enter, all prices are fixed and posted, a core charge, if you want a guarantee you pay EXTRA!
    cars are by corporations [fomoco, gm, chrysler], trucks and vans are separated, foreign cars are together, there is an antique section. paved aisleways, all cars are on crushed rock, ABSOLUTELY NO MUD! and off the ground, the original yard has over 2,000 cars! forgot to mention porta-potties, vending machines in the yard, along with rain shelters! i find the bullet-proof glass enclosed check-in and check-out personnel inside the building intimidating, though.

did i mention 'parts galore' just opened their 3rd yard southeast michigan?

thanx red

Model T1 likes this.
  12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I don't mind the small fee to get in a yard or event what pisses me off is "Parking fees" Now I'm talking about places like Fair Grounds or Civic Centers or Amusement parks where you are parked on their property to attend an event put on by them or an event put on by someone renting the grounds.

Model T1 likes this.
  13. jvp

jvp

What a hoot. Four places where you can now expect to be wanded by a metal detector; airports, court houses, federal buildings and junk yards.

Model T1 likes this.
  14. wsdad

wsdad

I'll tell you for $3.00.

Model T1 likes this.
  15. AntiBling

AntiBling

Without reading any responses, yes, the guy has 2 yards, the yard that had the old stuff (I think he crushed it) charged $50 to go in there, the normal one is free, if you bought something he refunded it. He kept whining about how he couldn't sell any of the old stuff. A guy I know got me in there for free, there was some nice stuff but I was unemployed at the time. The guy I know that got me in there and I were trying to work on this guy to let me photograph some of the stuff and list it. Everytime I drive by there there's more and more old buses and semis out back of the yard where most the old stuff that was left was sitting. Pisses me off there was a really nice 53 Buick 2dr hard top there that I wanted.

16. Willy301

Willy301

The pull and pay here charges a buck or two to get in, but their inventory is constantly turning over, so your not pulling parts off of cars that are the same old skeletons that have been there for a decade....it is worth it. Their prices on the actual parts are all posted and are well below what you might pay at one of the older junk yards, because they charge the same price for ANY set of V-8 heads or 4 cylinder head or intake.... they don't spring it on you that "Those are rare, we now want 300 for them"...

Model T1 likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Same thing at the pull a part in B'ham. They list their cars on their website, so I know ahead of time what cars to look at for what I want. $2 to get in, nobody under 16 so you don't have to worry about kids getting hurt. I try to make two or three trips a year over there. They even have a "classics" section, usually mid 60's and back stuff. Last time I was in there a few months ago, they had a 58,59,60,61, and 62 Lincolns. All were rust buckets, but mostly complete cars. Sad thing is though, once a car gets in there and is processed, you can't buy it, only parts.:confused: I guess you could disassemble it and take it out piece by piece, but it would be more than most would be worth. I have seen guys get hoods, doors, trunk lids, and even roofs out of there. I bought both bumpers, spash pans and valances for an o/t Maverick one day and spent less than $100 for all of it....

Model T1 likes this.
  18. jazz1

jazz1

got this 46 IHC at the local pick yard.It was hauled in for scrap but they were going to try and part it out first,,the truck was complete,,,too bad they had twisted the frame..my neighbour stopped by to tell me it had just arrived at the yard,,,they don't charge entry fee,,i stop in now and then just to take a peak, walk around see if there's anything I can't live without

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  19. fatkoop

fatkoop

Totally agree. The local pull-n-save charges $2 to get in. I have found a ton of great stuff there, but I really don't like paying a "core charge" for a interior parts or soft goods. IDIOT TAX is right, but I seem to always go back.............go figure.

Model T1 likes this.
  20. For $2 the trip is usually worth it just to watch all the toothless tweaker roam through the place! Watched a couple of them argue over a part, nothing like watching 2 tweaker "bitches" fight and laugh when they threaten each other with knocking each others "TOOTH" out! Hahahaha!

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Old Heap

Old Heap

I bought a hood at the local PNP, swapped it out while parked on the street, and took the old one back inside. The guy behind the counter said I was the only one he ever remembered bringing a hood back for the core charge.

Model T1 likes this.
  22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I guess I'm pretty lucky here in Maine ...no walk around fees and most places let you pick parts. I've gotten to know the guy at my favorite junkyard and often times he doesn't charge me for little things.

23. chiro

chiro

You guys are so frigging lucky!!!

If there even was a yard worth going in to on Long Island, I would gladly pay $2.00 to get in.

What's a Pick-A-Part? If only I was lucky enough to live close to one of those!!! It would be my second home.

Sadly, the days of worthwhile yards in my area are long gone. I've been looking though. Been going to the industrial areas in other parts of the island. found one yard that I can walk through but it's all late model stuff. Absolutely no yards around here with vintage tin in it. Real estate costs are too much and guys need to make a living off of late model stuff.

Andy

Model T1 likes this.
  24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

the u-pull by me charges and you can buy a 15 visit punch card for 1/2 price admission. i just have one punch left on my 3rd.
    Not many 60's or earlier but i have picked up some non-OT parts . you can check on line to see what comes in daily, also can search by year, make and model. i think the charge and having to sign in is primarily for liability, as you are assuming the risk if injury.
    as some noted, cheap entertainment.

Model T1 likes this.
  25. jimmied

jimmied
    from Fargo ND

yard there charges $35 to go into there old ca yard.if you buy something you get it back.they couldnt tell me if they had a windshield for my 59.and said they wanted $100 A PIECE FOR DOOR GLASS.GOT ALL 4 PCS SHIPPED FROM CALI FOR WHAT THEY WANTED FOR ONE PC

Model T1 likes this.
  26. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Come on man, $2 bucks you got to be kidding. It's well worth it when you get parts you need cheep. Besides I don't blame them because so much damage to good parts is caused by assholes that have no respect for other peoples property. Parts that they could of sold get trashed .

Model T1 likes this.
  27. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

The $2.00 is simply charged to keep out the daily wanderers, thieves, vandals, homeless and other idiots. I just paid $2.00 to walk through a large classic car dealer for the same reason and enjoyed my several hours there with other serious car people.

Let it grind on you... Or go get some parts. It is your choice.

Model T1 likes this.
  28. Our pull a part here is $2. With membership it is $1. I forgot what membership was, but I think it was $2 and was applied to your first entry fee.

Model T1 likes this.
  29. screwball

screwball

2.00 you cant get a gallon of gas or a hot rod magazine you cant get into a movie you cant do alot of stuff for 2.00. Getting into a good junk yard which can be hours of entertainment bring it on Im in.

Model T1 likes this.