Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yard admission fee?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Feb 25, 2012.

1. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I went to a local junk yard today for the first time. They had a big ad in the paper 1/2 off today. There was a large crowd when I got there. They were charging 2.00 admission fee for anyone to go in. I had 2.00 but I just aint going to pay to go in a junk yard that just aint right. Do any of you have this in you area?

Old school I just aint going to pay to get in a junk yard

Model T1 likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. Arominus

Arominus

They do it out at the u-pull-it here, and honestly its worth it. They list what they have online and its pretty rare that im there and don't get something i need.

Mind you thats for my OT DD, not for my 58, those yards never charge, but they never have anything i need either.

Model T1 likes this.
  4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

A yard was cleaning out in my area years ago and ran an ad for, I think, $20 entrance fee, you could have anything you could carry out. I don't remember if I made out or not. I know I took a few things.

Blue

5. A yard by my is full of old goodies.

This jackass charges $25.00 an hour to walk through his yard. He claims that it's to cover the labor cost that he pays his guy that he wants to have follow you around while you're in his yard. I said "shit... Dennis, you know me... I've bought parts and cars from you for years". He said it didn't matter, everybody gets charged no matter who it is.

Needless to say I never went back.

6. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I have a couple of them by me. Yup $2 to get in. Get stuff for my DD's

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

More and more yards won't even let you in. So $2 fee is more than ok.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. they probably had to do that to weed out all the tire kickers.

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It's pretty common for the U-Pull-It yards.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Pick-A-Part charges $2.00 but why whine over 2 bucks.

11. yep!

12. Bluedot

Bluedot

We went to several yards in Tulsa a few days ago. The only one that would let us in the yard to pull parts ourselves wanted $2. Besides the theft problem, I think there are some liability issues. Just one more thing the lawyers have screwed up for us.

Model T1 likes this.
  13. moefuzz

moefuzz

Used to be a that you could freely walk thru yards for a look then theft and vandalism went ramped.

Used to be that you couldn't walk thru the yard because it was an insurance risk due to injuries/litigation as well as higher costs of insurance due to theft/vandalism.

If the $2 fee covers the cost of the added insurance and lost parts due to theft then I'll gladly pay 'cuz I know they are a big problem and someone ultimately pays for the missing/destroyed parts as well as the higher insurance costs.

(bluedot is a faster typer than I )

Model T1 likes this.
  14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It's a buck here. It's more for covering for all the small crap people always steal. You know, bolts, lug nuts, badges, etc.

15. All the Pick n Pulls round here charge a few bucks

Model T1 likes this.
  16. big bad john

big bad john

...Guess this old world is changing to fast for me....pay to get into a junkyard.......guess paying $7 to get into a swap meet and $ 5 to park your car.....when does this madness end.......

Model T1 likes this.
  17. I have never been to one that charged. I won't say that I wouldn't pay, it depends upon what they have in there, but I kinda doubt that I would.

18. caseyrod

caseyrod

our local upick use to be $1 about a year ago they raise it to $2 and a lot of the guys up front are like real pricks ,but it is still worth it I found hemis,nail heads early pontiacs posi rears even flat heads subframes trailing arms the list is long.Ive been going to the local upicks for 25 years. its my past time!

19. Hey I don't mind paying a few bucks but pay a guy's supposive wage of $25.00 p/hr is just plain bullshit. And for the record, this guy knows I come to buy.

20. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

$1.00 a day for the pick-a-part here. Well worth it for the most part.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. moefuzz

moefuzz

The sad part is that some people are using the $2 fee to justify stealing small pocket-able parts.
    So while the company is trying to cover the cost of liable/lawyers/theft/vandalism, what they have actually done is increase loses of small items.

Model T1 likes this.
  22. hoop

hoop

Like 19Fordy said . Most won`t let you walk around .I`ll pay $2.00 any day to walk around a junk yard.

23. I allocate a certain amount of daily nuisance money...parking tickets, toll roads, Girl Scout cookies, etc. It's cheaper than a psychiatrist.

charleyw and Model T1 like this.
  24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

yeah local yards near me are 1 buck a day. its worth it. there prices are insanely cheap for shit. cant beat it

Model T1 likes this.
  25. moefuzz

moefuzz

As stated earlier, I don't mind the cost of entry but what I don't necessarily agree
    with is pick n pull charging a core charge on everything and anything..

A $15 core charge on a hood? come on.
    They know that most people will not return with their old wheel rims
    so the so called core charge is nothing more than an
    idiot tax.

Model T1 likes this.
  26. 66L-79

66L-79

One of the local scrap yards charges one dollar the lady said there insurance company made them do this.

27. The yards need to make up for the small shit people steal. One yard now has a guard that runs a metal detector over you to make sure you arent stealing. This is due to a few guys wrapping battery cables all around their arms, legs and torso and sneaking them out every day. At close to 4 bucks a pound for copper, these guys were stealing alot. There was another guy caught stuffing his "gallon of drinking water" with copper as well. He had about 10-15 lbs stuffed into one jug. he went there every day too.

After they caught the people doing that, the metal detectors came in. I dont like it but I can see why they do it.

I dont have a problem paying 1 or 2 bucks, its more my kinda thing (lookin at junk hoping to find something good) and cheaper than a movie or a fast food meal.

Model T1 likes this.
  28. they also do it to make you sign the waiver form so if you get hurt its not on them..the yards out here make sure you sign before you go in.

If they start checking id's at the gate, then I would say no.

Model T1 likes this.
  29. nickk

nickk

i was broke once and needed to take my girl on a cheap date so i figured we would go to a junk yard, but they had a entry fee of 1 buck each, needless to say at the time I didnt have that much

Model T1 likes this.
  30. fleetside66

fleetside66

It's worth the $2 for the entertainment factor alone. It never fails that something weird happens every time. As far as getting great stuff, however, the golden age is gone.