Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Jungle park sprint car 1947 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ilinrods41, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

This is the sprint car my grandfather raced at Jungle Park Speedway in 1947. I am thinking about recreating this car. My question is can any one help Id some of the parts used on this car? It looks like possibly a model a based chassis but not sure. What is up with the carb and intake? A or t engine? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Kenny ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442501553.015677.jpg

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. More pictures,,,,,,?
    Winfield carb?

4. Might be a version of the K9 Special from the Ray Kuhns plans published in the late 30's. He did several car plans, with frame and body drawings, and drivetrain descriptions.
    Reprints were available at one time, including all of them bound in to one book that was sold by the AARA.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

Carburetor is on the wrong side for an A or T engine although that may be a kicked up A frame with an A front axle. Interesting.

6. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

Wow, lots of good info already. It definitely looks like one of the k9 special cars. I found some photos and bits and pieces of Ray Kuns plans this evening.

My dad said grandpa told him the car had a Frontenac cylinder head, and Winfield down draft carb. That would explain the exhaust on the right intake on left. I will have some more photos to post soon.

This car was based in State Line, Indiana, and was supposedly still there as of the 1980's or so. Thanks for all the info so far. Hopefully this turns into an all out build thread!

7. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Appears to be an SR Fronty head on a T block--can't tell if it is an overhead cam or rocker arm set up. Fronty oil pan which allows the use of a Model A sliding gear transmission. Dayton wheels. cool shit

Carter likes this.
  8. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

My dad said he used to refer to it as a fronty ford. I found this pic from the Frontenac catalog. Look almost identical the whole car may be a fronty ford built car, or at least lots of their parts used. Fronty-I1-600x306.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Rajo 4 port is on that site?

There was a threat on here with a guy finding a similar race car with a a OHV conversion with a homemade crossflow head. True barn find but the car was in way better shape then the barn.

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Edit my bad, I I was thinking more like an Elva racing head, but got them mixed up in my head. No pun intended.

Attached Files: