Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical June Banger tune-up and drive 'em

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnneilson, Jun 3, 2014.

1. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

2. RussTee

RussTee

Thats about as period as you can get. I like it.

25mercury likes this.
  3. Man, I love your Mercury!

25mercury likes this.
  4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I was running a V-8 pressure plate. I had slipping issues. I switched to a 9 1/2" set up out of a late 50's early 60's Ford 6 cyl. car engine. It also has 3 more springs.

I was told that the Flathead V-8 PP has @ 1200 lbs pressure and my new one was tested @ 1600 lbs.

I think with shims, they can boost the FH V-8 PP to @ 1400 lbs. Be careful not to put too much shim so that the springs don't coil bind.

I don't have any troubles now.

Here is a picture of the 9 1/2" PP:

[​IMG]

5. We are trying a 10" diaphragm clutch from Clutchmasters. their pressure plate will work witha ford flat head throw out bearing as the fingers are turned up not flat as lmost are.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Asa rule of thumb the pressure plate should fit with a clearance equal to one thickness of the lining. Also the shoe on the pressure plate must be larger than the disc or the clutch will slip

7. Working on my fuel system today. Hope to fire this thing soon.
    [​IMG]

Carter and Crazydaddyo like this.
  8. Popped the head gasket on mine whilst we were on holiday the week following Pendine. Macs soft as cheese 'hardened' washers…
    I had lean running issues on the way home from Wales last year but had been blaming everything everything else but the new 97 - I've ended up with a different inlet manifold, electronic dizzy but a knackered 94 eventually solved the problem. Was running a bit (very) rich and a quick check of the jets revealed a 46 and 51. Swapping the 51 for a 50 (all I had) and it's now lean at the top end judging from a plug chop. Squinting at the sun through the 51 jet didn't reveal any signs of previous monkeys chewing an eighth bit through it though. Setting off this Friday so there's only time to play on the way down…

Did have a play the other day before changing everything. Slightly uphill half mile sprint….

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

T__N__A and Crazydaddyo like this.
  9. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Here is my project before I tore it apart. The block is coming back for the machine shop tomorrow and the rebuild begins. Riley Four Port head, A block, balanced crank and some good old babbit bearings. I have about 500 miles on the motor and am resolving some gasket and pushrods issues. I have dual Winfield C carbs, a bit too much for street driving so I made a single manifold that works great. The header is going away in lieu of lakes or zoomies. Anyone have experience with running a four port exhaust? I have a crazy idea to run 4 cones with baffles and restrictors. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403135067.749750.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403135080.402750.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403135095.436177.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. T__N__A

T__N__A

Thanks for the clutch/pressure plat info guys. I like crazydaddy's idea on the 9.5" clutch/pressure plate.

Good luck at pendine! Looks like a lot of fun.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

It has been quite on here, so I thought I would post a picture of the parts I got at the LARS swap this past week end.

[​IMG]

12. WOW... never knew my keyboard could handle so much drool :p!!!

Great find CDO- what's it going into?

Russ B likes this.
  13. RussTee

RussTee

I would love to find one of those gemsa sideplates not much chance out here.

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Question on CRAGAR valve covers IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1071.JPG . I have an original CRAGAR head and it came with the smooth valve cover. I purchased a Roy Creel reproduction valve cover and notice that it was considerably taller than the original. Any thoughts on why.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Roy has run some pretty fast bangers and may have wanted to be sure of plenty of clearance for bigger than big lift cams and very sturdy rockers.

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I think it will be put on one of those new 5 main blocks from Tod in Ohio. Then into my dragster.

T__N__A likes this.
  17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Rusty,
    I will keep my eye out for one. I think some one is still making them.

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I think a dragster should have a two main crank unless your running nitro

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Fuel is in the plans :D.

Maybe forced induction too.

20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

In an 1/8 mile car?

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

No, we have a 1/4 track in socal now. Fontana re opened this year.

22. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks dan that will be great I was wondering if they could cast off your one . Still trying to contact Dan Mceachern if anyone has a contact for him tryed his email and phone but no luck.

23. holy balls daddyo

24. I would google his name and open a page and you should find his home phone. I will not post his home phone number you will have to find it forb yourself might take 10 or 15 seconds

25. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Bill I got a reply from Dan today thanks for the help

26. Just thought someone might like to see this car, it had a 34 flathead in it just like the original.

Attached Files:

27. RussTee

RussTee

nice car Bill its nice to see this type of build coming back into vogue very imaginative and yet still traditional

28. Actually it is a replica of the Stu Hilborn lakester. It was built by Jim Lattin. Legend has it that the only original part of the car they could find was the intake.

29. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

I saw that out there. Nice complete setup. Years ago we built a '32 5-Window and put a GEMSA B motor in it built by the late Jay Steele. It ran really strong. The 80 year old owner hated it because he had no previous experience with A or B engines and expected if it was all rebuilt that it would run as smooth as his Lincoln MKVIII. Good luck with that! Sadly, we pulled it and put a low performance crate 350. The guy really had no business having a car like this. He didn't get it.

Here's a few pics. That bitchin' header was built by a long time friend of my Dad's, Chris Wickersham.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crazydaddyo and Hitchhiker like this.
  30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the picture Dennis!!!!!