Register now to get rid of these ads!

June Already? Another Damn BANGER MEET!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Jun 1, 2008.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

What is FAST? Is that the same as the Secrets of Speed Society?

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

FAST is seriously worth joining....

4. Traffic Violator

Traffic Violator
    from Bangerland

well it drove round the block twice then it conked out, partial fuel blockage. managed to nurse it home with the distance travelled per bowl full in the 94 and then waiting for it to fill up again.

remind me again why i dont like those modern cars :) :)

But the water level seems to have settled and sorted itself out so i must have put too much in.

pulled the line from the petcock and just a dribble of fuel ran out instead of the stream that should be there from having half a tank above it - pure rust dust and flakes in there now.

Im now in the process of flushing the tank through (not the best job to do with petrol at 1.41 euros per litre ($10.03 per gallon) but its gotta be done)

fingers crossed i will drive a mile in it before the end of the week because i am trying to get to a show next sunday 80 miles away!

I have bought a new tow rope ;)

5. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I'm a member,...good group, good publication put out by them,...good people!

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, got everything painted, now I'm putting her together like a big toy model! When this sucker's on the road there'll be a long, long list of thank you's to all the fellas that lent a hand in some way, shape or form, many of them fellow banger boys here!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The little lady lent a hand today when we were getting things fit up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. I went to a local show today and saw this speedster. It was extremly nice and sounded good too! I do not know anything about it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

there's brass era show not far from me every year,...very interesting show,....

9. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Well I went to the Rockabilly Rave on the south coast on England and wish I had not.

On the Monday morning I went and got the pickup from the front of the building were I had parked it the night before and some mother had backed in to my frount wheel and bent the I beam back at the perch - I had to have it picked up....and taken home.

Thanks to Nervous Bob who came down to the workshop the same day with two axels / wishbone and kingpin kit.

Just as well the place has CC TV that they are looking at.

10. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

I need some help guys... I have not been doing much planning for this part, but since I am almost running/driving I am starting to try to figure out how to get this thing titled and licensed (see page 2 of this thread for pics).

Looks like I will try to do the dance in NC first as a "custom built" vehicle. That looks like the most honest and straight forward approach, and I want to give that a try before I try something else. I have receipts and bills of sale for everything, but am worried about a few things - there in no VIN on the bill of sale for my frame and the VIN on the frame is illegible. Also worried about a safety inspection that wouldn't like that I don't have fenders, windshield wiper, etc...

Trying to plan ahead for all possibilities, so a couple questions for you guys with experience:

Where is the VIN on a Model B engine? I was told it is on the bellhousing, but I am using a Model A bellhousing. And it would be a '32 VIN, which would be harder to deal with than a Model A.

Anybody out there knock their Model A VIN onto their B block? Any thoughts on how this might affect the value of the engine?

If the VIN on the block matches the title are you good, or will they still want to look at the frame? What are you guys putting on the frame to show the VIN? Any cool ideas for VIN plates?

I do have a good '30-31 A block (based on VIN), would it be easier to use this for the titling process and put the B engine in later? Of course I have a receipt for this engine, but it doesn't list the VIN... Can I generate a title based on this engine?

If I decide to buy a title, what am I looking for to make sure its useable? Can I search the VIN and make sure it is not in use? Does it really matter what kind of title I get (fordor, tudor, truck)?

Sorry for so many questions, I was up all night thinking about this stuff... Next time I will just buy a nice Model A with a title and modify that!!!

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

11. Sorry to hear that, Simon.

It must of been a hell of thump to bend the axle! Thats alot more serious than a parking bump.

12. casper

casper

A while ago, I bought a neat little modified roadster. It was built in 1946-47 and it has a model A engine with a few old speed parts. The guy also gave me some extra motor parts with the car and I need some help identifying some of this stuff. Please let me know if this stuff is all model A....crankshaft, five cams (different grinds) Thanks in advance for your expert help! .............. A quick edit to post some pics of the motor in the car I bought (Owner said, A block, C crank, Jahns pistons and a hot cam) He also gave me an elaborate oiling system that was on the car back in the 40's. The oil pan has plumbing off of it that goes to the side plate and the camshaft has a drive on the end of it for an oil pump. I'm pretty sure I have the complete system (cam, pump, pan and plumbing, front cover and side plate) Thanks again!

Attached Files:

13. casper

casper

More pictures from above post. Thanks!

Attached Files:

14. 4bangerNick

4bangerNick

Hey Bud.any pics of the modified??? Thanks!!!:D

15. casper

casper

Hi Nick, How are you doing? I'm sure some people have already seen this. It's not as cool as yours, but here ya go..... Built in 46-47, the last time it was started was in the 1952 Riverdale parade. All I did was mount new tires on some extra Kelsey's he gave me. I still have the orig. tires and wheels that were on it. Thanks, Kenny.

Attached Files:

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Casper..is that the modified that was in Hop Up a little while back? Awesome, awesome car, fella. One of my favourties. I check back that copy of H.U. often specifically to look at that car, any more pics would be great.

17. casper

casper

Hi Artiki, Yes, it is the same one. What kind of pictures would you like me to take? I will be happy to explain or show you anything about the car that you have questions about. Thanks for the kind words! Kenny.

18. Casper,

The crank is a counter weighted 'B', commonly known as a 'C' crank. All the cams are 'B', identified by the fuel pump lobe. All look to be re-ground. To what specs is any ones guess!

Your elaborate oiling systems sounds really interesting. Does it look anything like this??

[​IMG]

I regonise the car also from a Hop Up Annual.

19. casper

casper

Hi Enbloc, Thank you very much for the response! Yes the oiling system is almost exactly like the one pictured (plumbing looks to be slightly different). What is involved in installing this crank into an A block? Thanks! Kenny.

20. casper

casper

Artiki, Here are some shots of the day I found and bought the little car.... My friends Jim Crowder (clams32) and Bobby Oliveras (non-H.A.M.B.er) went with me to pick it up after I looked at it earlier that day. The 32 grille shell with the Whippet radiator were off the car and sitting behind it, so Jim just held it up for the pictures. The King Bee headlights were unbolted from their homemade stands and sitting in burlap sacks (still wired up) a few other small items were disassembled, but it's all been put back together with the original pieces that were on the car. The tires had been sitting so long, they would not roll so we had to use a couple floor jacks to move it out. The owner also gave me a pickup load of extra parts with the car (12 extra 16" Kelsey's and a bunch of motor parts) I will post a couple pictures of that next. Kenny.

Attached Files:

21. casper

casper

Just some of the extra parts he gave me. I actually had to make 2 trips. I think you might recognize the dude in the blue shirt (it's none other than the H.A.M.B.'s own....Royalshifter!) I have sold a few of the items, but still have most of it. I know it would have been cooler if this was a 1932 with all deuce parts extra, but hey....I'm happy to have found such a neat little piece of hot rod history!

Attached Files:

22. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

DON'T CHANGE A SINGLE THING!!! YOU OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

One cool thing that I recently discovered from some old photos of our original club member's 29 roadster after a son of a Hot Irons deceased member gave me some copies of his Dad's photos is that the engine, and A block, had the same oilers at the oilpan.....very cool,....I'm going to modify an oilpan in a few weeks to run sprayers such as these myself....

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

COOLER??.....WOW!

....there's about a thousand cats who would like to be in your shoes right now,...so if you're looking for a 32 instead,....I'll take it! HA! ;-)

Fact is, the man from whom you bought that from is worth his weight in gold!
    If you're smart I'd get over there with a video camera ASAP and start talking with him and videotape every little story he has about the car, his life in and out of hot rodding,....if you don't all that history will be lost forever, and one day you'll kick yourself in the ass because you'll seriously regret not doing anything!

Fellows like the elder gent you had the fortune of meeting and buying that car from, carry with them treasure troves of memories, which need to be tapped, shared and recorded for future generations to learn from and to live on forever!!!!

25. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Well the whole front end is off - taking some pics

26. wak53

wak53
    from aus

That modified is amazing!!!!

27. I'd just be happy with a box that read "8 Rockets" even if it contained the worthless crap that's in my shed...

[​IMG]

28. klazurfer

klazurfer

Casper ... What a find that turned out to be ... :)
    As CoalTownKid said : Fact is, the man from whom you bought that from is worth his weight in gold!
    Get that Hot-Rod running , AND next year you drive it to the sellers house & let him drive it to LARS ... He surly deserves it !! Talk about preserving Hot Rod history for comming generations !!! His name needs to be known , Mainly because we owe him ALOT . Not many Oldtimers left , And those few who are still standing deserves to be honored .
    EXCELLENT Stuff !!!
    Thanx for posting :):)
    Klaz

29. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Brilliant photos, many thanks. Fills out the story that was in Hop Up nicely.

What are your plans for it? Do you have any intention of getting it on the road?

30. casper

casper

I would like to start it up and hear it run, but I would have to change a few things if I planned on driving it (straight exhaust would be really loud and cloth wireing is a fire waiting to happen!) and I really want to leave it "as is", so I don't plan on driving it much.