Register now to get rid of these ads!

June Already? Another Damn BANGER MEET!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

We're getting old, men. Another month has gone by.....what's happenin' in the world of four-barrels?

Me? I took part in my favourite event of the year, Monkeybiker's Reliability Run. Awesome and very well documented elsewhere on this hallowed message board, here.....
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267616
    and here...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268488

My Tudor finally arrived this last month, also, courtesy of Continental John in Chicago.
    [​IMG]

It turned up on Friday so I'm still playing with it, but the banger has been warmed over and purrs like a little kitten :)

[​IMG]

Snuggled up next to my touring.....
    [​IMG]

2. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Looks good the headers look good what carb is that?I picked up a rolling chasis that drives that looks like its been partly restoed engine looks and sounds new the guy we got it off said he took it to his mechanic when he got it and the mechanical brakes looked new don't no what to do with it thinking of a T cowl doors and turning it in to a little modified its got 21in wheels with good tyres I will try to post some pics soon.

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

It's a Weber 32/36 carb. Not the greatest looking device ever, but I haven't really had chance to drive the car much yet, so I can't comment on its performance. Hypothetically, it should flow more than enough air for a banger, and be fairly economical at the same time. We'll see.

4. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Darren,
    The Tudor looks georgeous I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh or should I say steel.
    Just redone the gas pedal linkage after the Reliability Run (all became loose !)
    Lookin forward to just drivin this month.

5. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Me? I took part in my favourite event of the year, Monkeybiker's Reliability Run.

AGREED - fantastic time 'A' ing around, thanks Monkeybiker

That's a nice Tubor, a good family car.........................

6. Went to and completed my first reliability run. Never done one before due to.... Eerrmm... reliability problems!

Didn't get away totally incident free.

Just as I arrived home the car started running very rough. A little investigation and luck found this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd lost 2 of the 3 screws holding the carb body to the base with the third one moments away from making a break for freedom as well!
    I've never seen anything like it!?!?
    The only damage seems to be a gasket from the body rattling around, but it fingers crossed to any long term damage as the back 2 cylinders were showing lean conditions on the plugs.

[​IMG]

Finally heres me cocking a wheel on the autotest course! :eek:

[​IMG]

7. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I was another of the Reliability Run participants and managed to make it all the way round this year unlike last years 1/2 mile fiasco when the quickchange decided to fall apart. Nothing to report in either the faults or improvements department, I really must try harder!

8. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Went to my parents' house.
    Speedster is coming along...Buffalo wheels are back from the powdercoaters, steering column has been shortened.

[​IMG]

We took this out for a short ride, too:

[​IMG]

9. After going to some Reliability Run organised by some bloke called Phil on some silly little roads in the flattest part of the country - yawn - chucked the still wet tent, and the slightly damp kids in the Fordor for a trip to the woods. Oh boy were they pleased. Trundled past the Queens house - hello Lizzy; stretched our legs for a furlong or two at Ascot, and after about 250 miles finally arrived in the New Forest to find it had been washed for us.

[​IMG]

Pitched our tents in yet another wet field under the close scrutiny of some locals.

[​IMG]

Next day the scattered showers turned to proper rain so we popped over to Lord Montague's house for a look at his fine automobiles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to potter home because the damn sunshine came out - steady 55-60mph, four up, packed to the gunnels with camping gear and muddy clothes; calling in on the Tuckett Brothers T emporium,

[​IMG]

All in - around 850 miles trouble free traveling on the fresh B engine in the past week. When no-one was looking, I gave the old bus a quick peck on the bonnet for a job well done. Hopefully not where the donkey licked it...

10. Great progress guys, Artiki, your tudor looks like a real cherry.
    I confirmed the negotiations to a 60's era front engine dragster that me and my Dad will run with a Model A motor with a 4-71 blower and two pot Hilborn injector on alcohol. Looking forward to eventually picking the car up

11. Wildfire

Wildfire

Bought another banger for the future. Should see my hopped up motor soon...

12. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Not much here,...just steadily working on the roadster project. That and getting ready to put a fence in by the side of the house!

Rear is rebuilt, trans is ready along with engine and brakes.

Put in some bushings here and there, a few races, bearing and whatnot today. Bolted a few items together and rebuilt a few pieces. Was going to paint the chassis last week but a few other things got in the way so we're scheduled for this week instead,...weather forcast looks good!

Have to see a fellow about an intake this week,...

13. ''A'' AND 'B' FIYWHEEL LIGHTENING
    If anyone wants to see that article on lightening the "A" "B" flywheel PM me your email and I will send it to you.

14. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

Bill, I got the flywheel info. I will take a few pounds off and see how it works. I do thank you.. Pulled the head off my A last night . Gasket was blown at thin spot between 3 and 4. What do you guys run for a head gasket. Putting on an uncracked head and having it faced so it will be flat.. Last gasket was a copper Fel-Pro.

15. garyv

garyv

I've been looking for something to "bang" around in and found this. It was "running when parked". The guy wants $8,000 for it. Is that a good price, bad price, OK price? I've already found a Columbia axle for it. After that initial financial outlay I'd have to warm it up slowly as I could afford it and would probably start it off with either a Lion or Brumfield head.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      26.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Elrod

Elrod

That maroon coupe looks like it would buff out to be a nice vehicle. Slowly bring the banger back to life by oiling the top of the cylinders and making sure the timing, condenser and coil are ok and most likely you'll have a Model A that will keep running for a long long time!

17. garyv

garyv

18. Model A build

Pulled the body off my 'roadster' and started to strip it back down again for primer and body work...then paint.

Also got my head, and all the additional parts are on the way :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nice looking coupe, Gary. I'll second what Elrod said, it should clean up a treat.
    Regarding the head, a Brumfield will look stock if that's what you want, but if you don't mind an ali head, the Winfield is hard to beat.

20. Are they 'T' carbs?

21. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Thunk!
    First major failure, car's been on the road for a month (approx 300 miles run by me). No mechanicals rebuilt yet, so this will be the first, will do the pressure plate, clutch, and bearings. Original thread here.
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269459

Any insight into what caused this?

Attached Files:

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I got part of my project (the body) it is a '21 T coupe. It has a few extras I won't be using (fenders, running boards) and was missing some thing I need (hood, grille shell). I want to run a stock shell with the A motor. What I want to know is where is a good place to get a radiater that will fit in the stock T shell and cool a hopped up A motor efficiently? Thanks

23. carbs are early brass bowl Carters used on early chevy motors. Unfortunatelly, they are cracked, but I was told that they are easy to find replacements.

Unfortunately I wont be running this setup, I have a nice set of rebuilt 97's that will be taking thier place :)

There are some issues w/ the setup: 1. the carbs are angled weirdly causing linkage difficulties, 2. The carbs sit close to the block right on the water outlet, and 3. not enough clearance from starter.

I will try to run this setup eventually, but I may have to fabricate a new intake for the carbs.

24. I went for the "mayden" voyage in the A, 175 miles round trip. Car did great, ran smooth and had no hickups. I was a happy camper :D
    Heres the cars cooling down in the town we turned around at:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Chris....don't ever change that coupe!

Nothing from me with personal 4 stuff. Been working on my 34, fixed a customers banger in his 32 pee you. Bad compression, stuck fuel pump, broken oil pump, bad plugs...

26. I noticed that you didn't receive an answer to your question regarding head gasket choice.
    I feel any good quality gasket such as Felpro or Best should work just fine. There is a new one out that has a Silicon sealer around the critical areas. On an engine with stock compression you could probably use one of the plain fiber gaskets. The trick is in using proper torque. You should follow the pattern given for the proper sequence and repeat this until there is no more movement at the torque figure you are using. Some say, on the Ford barn forum, this can take 4 or 5 times over a few days although I haven't had to go that far. L Brumfleld, who probably has studied this as it regards the model "A" "B" more than any one else, recommends backing the head nut or bolt back 1/4 turn and then tightening up to the proper torque

27. flatfour

flatfour

Hi all, the days are closing in here in sunny Australia.
    finally got around to putting on the b head and pump as well as an ebay b dizie. runs a bit snappier now; hopefully i've also cured the head gasket leak. Next step is lighten the flywheel and replace the twin s.u's with twin holden 1bb's[once i've got a linkage worked out]

28. Any pictures of the SU installation cos I'm thinking of putting some ON! Taking them off because? Not working well?

29. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Well the B engine is in and it purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs - wow what a difference the counter balanced crank makes.

Will post some pics shortly

30. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Some video would be nice too, Simon.