Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jumping in the deep end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Aug 4, 2020.

1. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m afraid my “late model” is holding my attention as late but don’t worry, the A isn’t going anywhere. Actually I just sold a bunch of spare parts that were intended for my T project and god willing I will be buying a set of doors for the A in the next couple days if that works out.

The Dart has become my daily - I have only driven my Ram twice since I picked up the Dart. I wish it was on topic for the HAMB because I’m learning a lot… tech wise it is entirely HAMB friendly but just a couple years too new :( But anyway, the A will get its turn soon. I haven’t forgotten my first love.

brEad, RodStRace and Jrs50 like this.
  2. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m still hunting for a set of doors. :confused: Luck doesn’t seem to be on my side anymore.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

got one, but may not be better than yours... plus the shipping is a no...

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

Work on the bed.
    Work on the cowl.
    Work on the windshield, hinges, frame and seal.
    Finish any mechanical systems that are okay but not great.
    You got an intake and exhaust. Plenty to do there.
    The doors will come.

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I miss this project. Looking forward to more updates!

trevorsworth likes this.
  6. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I miss it too! Just a bit demoralized right now. The Dart is easier to work on and see progress right now. Suddenly it's very difficult to find what I need for the A. I'm sure my luck will turn around soon - I'm still keeping an eye out and trying to work out deals for what I need.

7. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

Don't let it bum you out. It seems the parts come in waves, one min you find what you need left and right then all of a sudden its completely dried up. Searching for and finding that elusive part is what makes this hobby fun and rewarding.

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Just don't quit working on it because you haven't found doors yet! That is what stalls many builds and then they never get back on track! Now get your ass out in the garage and get busy doing what you can with what parts you do have! :D

Jrs50 likes this.
  9. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

My goal for tomorrow - get the chassis back together & the engine back to running. I went out and found some bolts that will clear the intake runners so I can finally start chipping away at it again. There are some things I need to take care of on my other project, which takes precedence because it's my daily now, before I can order wood for the truck, which will be needed to make the cab one piece again. But tomorrow it will at least run on starting fluid, if not on gas.

Seems like such a piddly thing but I'm learning that when juggling projects it takes baby steps to keep you focused.

If anyone has a line on some tudor doors around Texas pleeeeaaase help me out!

brEad, Jeff34 and J.Ukrop like this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

That looks really good Trevor. Glad you are working on the truck again!

Did Travis wrap those pipes? He did a great job! ;):p

11. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol not a chance, you should see his gift wrapping.

These manifolds are cool looking but I am going to end up having to cut the flanges off and weld them together I think. Some of the threads pulled out of the bosses on the exhaust side. For now I put the stock manifolds back on. Hasn’t run yet as I need to finish up the gas tank cleaning and reinstall the starter.

brEad likes this.
  12. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After a long hiatus my Model A took some breaths today. Still no doors. I have the chassis mostly put back together but have a conundrum.

@RMONTY and I slaved away at cleaning out the gas tank, but the old tank liner is stubborn as hell. I'm not sure what it is but I haven't been able to remove it mechanically or chemically, it is just slowly failing on its own and releasing trapped debris. This is the correct tank for my firewall. I know for a fact it does not leak, is not beat up etc. and is a good tank except for the failing liner.

I also have a good '31 tank (firewall shutoff). Obviously the fuel outlet is in the wrong place so I will have to cut the firewall to make it work. But this tank is clean inside, isn't beat up, and doesn't leak.

Not sure if I should keep messing with the '30 tank that doesn't seem to want to be cleaned, or adapt my firewall for the '31 tank.

atch likes this.
  13. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I listed my Model A body today. Tired of going around in circles with it, chasing parts I can't find and dealing with dishonest dickheads. Right now I'm intending to keep the chassis but would probably sell the whole pile for the right price. I will start over in the future.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  14. :( Good luck with the sale though.

trevorsworth likes this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate to do it but feel like I’m at a dead end. Have been chasing the same few parts for months and can’t do anything with the truck until I find them. I decided if I could trade the body and all my extra model A shit for a 26-27 T roadster body I’d be on the road a lot sooner so that’s what I’m gonna try to do first…

17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Let me rummage through your Model A stuff before you sell any of it? I'm between jobs so I can get over there pretty easily if you catch my drift! I am sure I can use some of it
    I can also Indian Give you/me those Model A books I brought to you early on in your adventure. Im going to need them i think. I have a huge pile of parts to 20220429_131025.jpg 20220429_133004.jpg identify! Thanks in advance!

18. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah man, we’ll figure out a time, I don’t have that much that would be useful I don’t think but you’re welcome to check it out. It’s almost all stuff that does not interchange with 28/29s.

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Will that flathead interchange????

20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha maybe with some work. But you know I’ve still got plans for it. I gotta think about it hard!

I think my plan is to try and swap the truck shit for a late Model T roadster body. Then I’ll keep collecting parts for the V8 swap and when the banger starts giving me problems I’ll swap the V8 in. If that doesn’t work out I’m done… we’ll make a deal for it.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

finding t roadster stuff may be harder than finding '30-'31 truck doors...

alchemy likes this.
  22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figure if I can get a decent body and bustle I'll be fine. The stanchions and windshield frame are readily available as reproductions if it comes to that. I will finish out (or not finish) the interior however I need to.

23. rusty valley

rusty valley

Good 26-27 T roadster bodys with doors and a deck lid do not come up for sale very often.

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

25. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been on the phone for the past couple hours. I was offered a 90% complete T roadster body that isn't all smashed up. I saw this body at Pate a few days ago. It will need some patch panels but it doesn't have any nasty secrets, has doors etc.

Hopefully this works out. Thinking about all the money and work I still have to put into the truck body just to be able to move under its own power makes me go work on my Dart instead... yep, I'm cheap and lazy, I picked the wrong hobby.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    stillrunners, J.Ukrop, brEad and 2 others like this.
  26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

This is becoming an all too familiar sight...

[​IMG]

Made the dropoff...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... and now I own a '27 T roadster. The metalwork on this is gonna be a lot easier than the A so I will be less nervous about jumping in on it...

Structurally it is sound. I did get a deck lid with it but it is a bit rough, probably fixable. Has what looks like a good gas tank. The doors have latches but are wired shut, not sure if that's because the latches don't work or because it's easier to manhandle without the doors popping open.

More pics later once I get it out of the truck on on the A chassis.

rjgideon, Shadow Creek and J.Ukrop like this.
  27. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

68B52180-BFAC-42F1-B6C5-BDF96115FA77.jpeg

Whoowee that was work. I see a chopped radiator in this thing's future... and a new thread.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  28. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ironically I think its worked out better with you now having a roadster! Score :)

Jeff34 and trevorsworth like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bttt because this is just such a neat thread. I'm dreaming of firing my new-to-me flathead, and it was fun looking back at the early pages for inspiration.

trevorsworth likes this.
  30. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha! "Doesn't have any nasty secrets..." "The metalwork on this is gonna be a lot easier than the A..." :rolleyes:

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.